Google announces Google Chrome web browser

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Google announces Google Chrome web browser

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

no expert, but that sounds like it will make it use even more memory/resources to run.

robert
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:no expert, but that sounds like it will make it use even more memory/resources to run.

robert
:shock:

i'm using it with a lot of open windows, text editor, wamp server, msn, outlook express, filezilla, etc.. etc.. 67 open processes, on windows XP SP3. 1GB ram, notebook LG P1 express dual model, 7.2 MB WCDMA connection...

CPU 6/14%
Paging file 856 MB

FTL
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

I installed and am testing.

So far I like it, which is good news to start with, I tried other browsers but didn´t experience the same positive first impression. I like the looks, fresh and clean, tidy and modern, it´s easy to handle, has some nice standard options, like the inspect element.

I said Yes to "sending usage statistics and crash reports to Google", figuring this might help them in fine-tuning the Beta.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

The 'incognito' mode is worth trying also.. a new feature never seen before AFAIK.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

It's similar to Safari and IE8's private browsing mode.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

My Lingoes does not works with Chrome, oh my.. :lol: I think I have to use my memory till it will.. :evil:
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

I want plugins, lots of plugins. :P
camm15h
Former Team Member
Name: Paul Cammish

Post by camm15h »

BBC have got a short video on it if you want to get a general idea before downloading:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7593106.stm
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

I would love to test it but i cannot get it to install.
Hopefully it will work!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Frost°

Post by Frost° »

Hmm, I may be speaking from the split personality conspiracy side here, but isn't google looking like they are trying to expand to take over ever aspect of the web?

It seems like everything someone comes out with, they take it, copy it, and release it as their own.

/methinks it's a company secretly owned by bill gates and he's trying to monopolize the web even more. Once google reaches every point of the web, and gets the mass majority of the population to use it. They will all of the sudden say, "Ok, listen up. None of you can use any of this unless you own a legit Microsoft PC and use internet explorer."

Of course, by this time they have put every other small business or company out of business by taking their programs and using their massive bank account to improve on it and re-release it.

/end conspiracy theory

On to the browser, I won't be using it. The only thing of google's I use is their search engine, and that's only because they keep the page tidy and uncluttered with needless extras.
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

I agree Frost, Google wants to stick their foot in the door in any area of the internet it seems. They are constantly expanding and trying to do everything which is beginning to be too much for me.

Anywho, I downloaded it and installed it and the first thing that came to mind was it's amazing speed. Very, very fast and lightweight. I didn't make it my default (Firefox FTW) but I will keep it to mess around on.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

As long as it renders like a Mozilla browser, I don't care.
If they have their own ideas for standards and rendering, then I could not be more disappointed. It’s a pain enough as it is to design for IE, Firefox, Safari AND Opera. Overall, I don’t think it’s a good move for Google.
ChaosBringer

Post by ChaosBringer »

I Dl'ed it. Dont see any diff in speed between my FF and the chrome ( and i do have cable connection ). Granted its simplistic and some may like that, but im used to surfing the web without ads and be able to customize my browser any way i like. Also that EULA looks wierd. Things like anything you post using it, etc etc, google has the rights to repost, distribute etc looks real fishy. Im not into any conspiracy theories and i do like the fact that MS has more competition, I also use other google products such as analytics and gmail etc, but at the same time, im happy using my Firefox and it will stay that way. Now the next logical step for google is to make a linux distro lol.
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

It's build on Webkit so it renders like Safari.

I love it, I might make the switch when the Linux version is available along with Firebug and Adblock extensions. :)
TheIlluminative
Former Team Member
Name: Mahmoud

Post by TheIlluminative »

I should give it a try, but I don't think I'm gonna replace Safari with it :roll: .

Return to “General Discussion”