windows 7 - will it be better?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
A_O_C

windows 7 - will it be better?

Post by A_O_C »

with all the vista bashing going around, microsoft has started blogging about the next version of windows (codenamed windows 7). whats more-so, they claim to be reading every comment made from users and shifting development towards implementing things noted. i myself have been reading since it started about a month ago, but only recently started participating in the blog discussion. i dont think i have ever seen this from microsoft, so maybe they agree internally that vista is a nightmare? what are your thoughts on this? will windows 7 be better? is this a good change in direction for microsoft? i certainly think so. chime in everyone.
TheIlluminative
Former Team Member
Name: Mahmoud

Re: windows 7 - will it be better?

Post by TheIlluminative »

Yes, I think so, Microsoft has already lost lots of reputation through Vista, they will try their best to regain it again, especially now when there are other competitive solutions that seem to be more reliable, like Mac which already lots of Windows users have turned to it. I think Windows-7 will just be a better version, or it'd better be.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I haven't had that much trouble with Vista for whatever reason. I've heard horror stories but somehow have managed not to get involved in them myself. I have come across bugs, just no show stoppers (/me knocks on my wooden head).

That said, how do we know Microsoft can make a better operating system, assuming one is desperately needed? That's not meant to be MS bashing. Consider what they're up against, the enormity and complexity of the task. Surely they won't start from scratch (they never did build an OS from scratch by themselves at any rate, as far as I know). Yet how do they patch up something like Vista, to actually make it better and not Vista anymore yet still Windows? I just don't know ... if they're truly in trouble, then I think they're in a deep hole.
We should talk less, and say more.
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

if you ask me, my answer is "no"
simply today our OS doesn't go beyond the "standard"
even people are amaze on Ubuntu, and other OS other than Mac and Windows
the overall is still within a standard
the technology is limited, mainly because of the hardware and consumer market
so, if you are talking about advancement, no, I don't think anything is better

for most people, Windows 7 maybe just like XP, and so does Windows Vista
if you are talking about new features, well, obviously MS must have added many many new features and easy-access, user-friendly-panel, to make sure everyone knows what they need to do......

Just like IE8, MSN9, they come to improve the previous edition and creating some new features so it will impress the people at its first glance.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

A_O_C wrote:with all the vista bashing going around, microsoft has started blogging about the next version of windows (codenamed windows 7). whats more-so, they claim to be reading every comment made from users and shifting development towards implementing things noted. i myself have been reading since it started about a month ago, but only recently started participating in the blog discussion. i dont think i have ever seen this from microsoft, so maybe they agree internally that vista is a nightmare? what are your thoughts on this? will windows 7 be better? is this a good change in direction for microsoft? i certainly think so. chime in everyone.
Microsoft has already been quoted more than once as saying the realize that Vista was a bad release.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I'll probably skip Windows 7 which will just be an even bigger Vista and wait for Midori. :)
Ricky_Racer

Post by Ricky_Racer »

No matter how it turns out, I would be willing to bet it will be overpriced. :evil:
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Better than what exactly? Being run over? Probably not ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

ToonArmy wrote:Better than what exactly? Being run over? Probably not ;)
A_O_C wrote:with all the vista bashing going around... vista is a nightmare?
;)

Ricky_Racer wrote:No matter how it turns out, I would be willing to bet it will be overpriced. :evil:
not that i care (i am happy with XP), but they wonder why warez sites exist? :lol:
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
A_O_C wrote: ------------
Microsoft has already been quoted more than once as saying the realize that Vista was a bad release.
Bill Gates didn't like it :lol: :lol:
He just loves his XP so much....
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

Jaunty Mellifluous on Windows Blog wrote:Make Windows and Open-Source Project

Hi,

I had been thinking about this a few days ago. What if Windows was an Open-Source Project? Microsoft has the most number of users than any other Operating System in the world. Lots of people know about Windows, how it works, how it's programmed and how to make software for it.

There are numerous security updates every time a new Windows version is launched. Simply because the knowledgeable folk learn about the new version launch their attacks against it.

Many of those people and others would come around would love to program for Windows if it were an open-source project. The one thing an open-source project needs is a "huge user base" which you guys already have.

Think about it, the whole programming world, working and building Windows Project. It's going to be awesome.

How are you going to make money then? I am sure you can think of dozen other ways to make money. Even by giving away Windows for free.
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

what have you been smoking, cause i want some. :D

as much as i wish it would happen (not because of the price, but because others would indeed start building the "business class" version that i posted about on the blog), its not going to.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

I know it's not going to happen and understand how awfully absurd that notion might have looked. But it's a free blogs an I'm free to add my comments and thoughts. :D
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

jaunty_mellifluous wrote:But it's a free blogs an I'm free to add my comments and thoughts. :D
i never said you weren't :D
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Post by DarkGod »

A few notes:
  • Windows XP 64-bit is finally becoming more popular than ever because it supports more RAM, whereas when it was first introduced it was not popular at all, and was not supported.
  • Windows Vista 64-bit is becoming more accepted, so software companies are supporting the 64-bit side more than ever.
  • Windows 7 will be (I think) the point where 64-bit will truly take off. For a year or two now, 4GB of RAM is just not unheard of. Even 8GB is being used quite often. Microsoft claims that it will run faster and use less RAM, but we'll see.
RAM is so cheap now thanks to Vista being so bloated. The demand has gone up, so RAM prices have finally dropped considerably. This will encourage people to buy more of it in the future, but it will serve no purpose having more than 4GB (both motherboard RAM and GPU RAM) if they don't have a 64-bit OS.

When Windows 7 comes out in 2009 (I bet there will be a delay to 2010), I'm sure it'll be better overall than Vista was on it's first release. Vista was a whole new OS with many components being used from XP (e.g. Notepad, Paint, etc.). They're taking Vista and tweaking it once again into what they call a new OS - Windows 7. Visually, it will look the same as Vista so that they don't tarnish Vista's reputation any more than it already has been with something prettier. IE8 will probably be integrated into Windows 7 as well. Microsoft tried with Vista, but didn't do so well. They learned from their mistakes. I think Vista was an experiment to see how far it would go, and what needs to be changed. Sure, they tried hard to make it great, but I'm sure they knew people wouldn't like it. Windows 7 will be better, but never perfect. The first launch of it, and it will be a trial period until it has a service pack or two put on it. 2009 seems a bit soon in my opinion for a release date. If it wasn't for Vista, they'd be working on it for 7-8 years instead of just 3. By around 2014/2015, SP2 will probably be out for it, and that's when everyone should get rid of their XP 32-bit OS and jump on the 64-bit bandwagon. Why? Because when 2014 comes, Microsoft will no longer be supporting XP with critical updates at all. Accept it or not, but Windows 7 is the future. And that's why Microsoft needs to get it right.

Return to “General Discussion”