Getting into photography

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Getting into photography

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:08 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:Me - I have not bought anything Sony since they put the rootkit on music CD's infecting so many people.

Lots of people have long memories.
That's actually one of the reasons why I stay away from anything Sony, but my point was Sony doesn't make the only camera and people recommend what they have good experience with, not what they don't have experience with or have bad experience with.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Yes, I have looked at in depth reviews for all of them.

With the sony I would be looking at slightly lower image quality than the D60/Rebel, which gets worse at high ISO's. But the slight quality difference is not substantial and unless I plan on making huge prints it will not be an issue. If I were to do that I could do a little bit of sharpening/de-noise with photoshop and that should clear it up very well.

I am not sure about lenses for Nikon/Canon, but the D40/D60 was gimped and does not support the full range of lenses that the D80 supports from what I have heard. I also know I can pick up used Minolta lenses from ebay for very cheap for the Sony.

I will certainly listen to what somebody has to say if they can truthfully say they have tried the newer Sony DSLR's along with others. All that I have heard from those kinds of people is that they are all basically the same and go with the one that feels the most comfortable.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 pm

EXreaction wrote:I will certainly listen to what somebody has to say if they can truthfully say they have tried the newer Sony DSLR's along with others.
Very few people are in this position, if I'm following you right. I'm not sure just how many DSLR camera owners can truthfully claim to have hands on experience with a range of current DSLR models, so for all practical purposes you must be talking about reviewers. I have a son-in-law who always consults Consumer's Guide for the same kind of reason. Sometime it works out, sometimes not.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you expect people here to be able to say when you mention a camera selection. The brand is beside the point now, since very few typical camera owners will have broad experience with any sort of camera, even in a preferred brand (I've had exactly three Canons in 35 years of picture taking, all film cameras, two SLRs and a PAS; hardly a wide range of experience even in one brand).

If there is no meaningful difference among sub-$1000 DSLRs (regardless of brand), then it's presumably safe to forget the reviewers and go with features/dollar and simple preference -- however that's measured when it comes to photography, especially the subjective part. So I guess that's that... :)
We should talk less, and say more.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Yes, that's why I didn't like the phrase:

"IMO if you're going to buy a camera you get it from a camera company."

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be how I interpreted it, but it is difficult to see the feeling somebody put into plain text. ;)

The Sony A200/A300 are much more comfortable than the D40/D60 and the Rebel XS/XSI and from all I have seen, the quality difference is minuscule, each camera seems to do a little better in some circumstances.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Well, just because somebody tosses out a rule of thumb like that doesn't mean it's an attack on something else. I took your post as an RFC, and I still happen to agree with the rule of thumb. But I also disagree (all by myself) that big enlargments are the issue when it comes to quality and so safely ignored. Creative (or practical) photography isn't confined to enlargements.

Anyway, the fact that your post wasn't an RFC wasn't clear. Hopefully you'll be satisfied with whatever selection you make.
We should talk less, and say more.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:25 pm

EXreaction wrote:Yes, that's why I didn't like the phrase:

"IMO if you're going to buy a camera you get it from a camera company."

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be how I interpreted it, but it is difficult to see the feeling somebody put into plain text. ;) .
My statement is based on the fact that other than the PS Sony's electronics division has been failing miserably over the last decade and they are not a camera company. It's also based on some my own personal experience with some of their products over the last few years. Canon makes cameras, camcorders and the accessories that go with them and that's it. It's been my experience in the past when purchasing an item you buy from a company that specializes in that item if you want to get the best bang for your buck.

I'm not saying the camera you have chosen is better or worse, what I'm saying is I personally wouldn't roll the dice and instead buy from a long established vendor.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 am

An update on what is going on.

I've decided on the Sony A350, but only because we are getting it at a killer price. $450 for the A350 and a lense (new and direct from Sony). http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665345625

If anyone else is interested in the deal:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/860636/
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=snal (the image for the deal doesn't like to load all the time)

I've been looking for a new lens for it though, it sounds like the biggest loss in quality is from the cheap kit lens it comes with. One of the lenses I've heard some good things about is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0272827125

I've been watching the prices for used ones like that on ebay and was planning on picking one up if I could for $50-$75 (not sure if I'll be able to though). Anyone have anything they can tell me about those kinds of lenses? I am not really sure what to look for in a lens.

matt1206
Name: Matt Worthington

Post by matt1206 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:03 am

EXreaction wrote:I am not sure about lenses for Nikon/Canon, but the D40/D60 was gimped and does not support the full range of lenses that the D80 supports from what I have heard. I also know I can pick up used Minolta lenses from ebay for very cheap for the Sony.
I have the D60, and you are correct, as it doesn't have the autofocus built into the camera, that has to come with the lenses. Sigma HSM, Nikon AFS are fully functional. The other lenses will work, but you'd have to manually focus.
Metering is usually fine unless it's a really old lense.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:56 pm

Well, I just got my A350 in today. :mrgreen:

I haven't played with it much other than taking a few quick photos. I certainly will need to get a macro lens though.

I've attached one of the images I took when I tried to get a closeup. I thought it had some nice detail in the leaves and surrounding stuff, but I obviously need a different lens because I can't focus on something that close.

I shot it as a raw, then converted to jpg and resized it to 25%.
Attachments
DSC00009-small.jpg
DSC00009-small.jpg (175.44 KiB) Viewed 729 times

matt1206
Name: Matt Worthington

Post by matt1206 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:50 pm

What focal length does the lense have that you own at the minute?

The image you have taken is showing 35mm in the EIXF data, if you could zoom further, stand a bit further back, you'd be able to focus on the petal and not fucus behind it. Then just crop the image to suite.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:41 pm

It is the 18-70 that comes with the kit:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665345625

Yes, I could go back a bit and zoom in and get a nicer image with this lens, but I was just giving it a try out to see how it would look. I thought the leaves looked nice anyways. :P

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Shots of flowers etc generally work best on overcast days: harsh sunlight creates difficult shadows etc.

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Well, I got out for a while today to get some more shots in.

Some of them turned out pretty well I think, though the focus isn't perfect on all of them (I picked some of the best ones), but I'll get better with some practice, and I think a new macro lens would help a lot so I can get closer. :)

The images are unedited, they were the jpgs created by the camera (I am saving them in raw+jpeg, but the bundled raw converter screwed my pc up I think and I removed it for now).
http://www.lithiumstudios.org/images/

They are about 3-4MB a piece.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:12 am

Nice. :) I might have to rethink my decision to get the D60 ...

One thing I would suggest (well, two) is watch your framing, and more specifically, your framing with regards to lighting.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Framing? Sorry, I don't know a lot of the terms for things. :P

The deal looks like it is still going. $450 for the set.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/860636/

We ordered another one a few days ago. My dad wants to try and sell it on ebay or something. :)

Return to “General Discussion”