Getting into photography

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Getting into photography

Post by EXreaction »

Alright, what about filters now?

I'll need a polarizer from the looks of it and I am not sure if I'd need a neutral density, but I guess it would be nice to have if I ever do need it.

This filter kit looks pretty cheap, but I am not sure how the quality would be with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-55mm-Photo ... 337&sr=1-2

Not sure if I want to spend much on it yet in case a new lens I get has a different size.
matt1206
Name: Matt Worthington

Post by matt1206 »

Techie-Micheal wrote:Nice. :) I might have to rethink my decision to get the D60 ...

One thing I would suggest (well, two) is watch your framing, and more specifically, your framing with regards to lighting.
Don't rule out the D60 just yet. These are some of the pictures I have taken over the past few months:
http://matt-worthington.smugmug.com/galleries

(Hope posting the link is OK?)

The D60 with the 18-200mm VR Lense is a very nice piece of kit, and gives all the range most people will use on a day to day basis. The only thing the D60 is missing is the ability to auto-bracket, so making HDR images can be a little tricky without a tripod.
EXreaction wrote:Alright, what about filters now?

I'll need a polarizer from the looks of it and I am not sure if I'd need a neutral density, but I guess it would be nice to have if I ever do need it.

This filter kit looks pretty cheap, but I am not sure how the quality would be with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-55mm-Photo ... 337&sr=1-2

Not sure if I want to spend much on it yet in case a new lens I get has a different size.
I have a UV filter fitted to my lense all the time, as this also acts as another layer of protection for the lense. A polorizer is good for taking pictures of anything with a reflection, as it will give a lot better end picture (car photographers use these a lot). An ND filter is a great piece of kit to have, lets you get some really cool shots by allowing you to increase the exposure time in birghter conditions.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, I know what the filters do, I am just not sure if the ones I was looking at are decent or not.
matt1206
Name: Matt Worthington

Post by matt1206 »

EXreaction wrote:Yes, I know what the filters do, I am just not sure if the ones I was looking at are decent or not.
My apologies. Tiffen are a very good make of filter, and that is a very good price on the Amazon link you have posted. That kit in the UK is £29.99
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

I've spent quite a while now looking at filters and decided to just get a polarizer for now. It was only $22 and later on if I need any other lens I'll just get one then (I thought that kit had a ND filter, but I guess I got it mixed up and it has a warming filter). :)
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Well, I finally got a new lens for it and the new lens is very nice. :)

The lens I bought was a Minolta 35-70mm: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=39

I took a few quick pictures with it, but haven't done much with it yet. I really like this image I took with it yesterday:
http://www.lithiumstudios.org/images/DSC00363.JPG

The only thing I don't like is this new lens uses a 49mm filter and I bought the 55mm filter for my sony lens. :(

I also took a bunch of pretty neat pictures with my sony lens + polarizer on the roof of my grandparents house, but I am going to stitch them together later in photoshop.
Inove

Upload photos on phpbb!

Post by Inove »

Hi everyone.
I'd like to get any help to upload my photos on my forum.
My forum is written by mixed writers, Port x English and some other languages due the nature
of our community.
That's why photos will ever be important.
Will I be able to upload my photos?
For any hints I thank very much and wait for reply.
Inove.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Hi, Inove, welcome to the board. This is a discussion topic rather than a support topic. Please post your question in the phpBB Support forum related to the version of the software (2.x or 3.x) that you are running, thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

Why do you particularly want to get a film camera? Is it because of the after developing etc? Some people i know have film cameras still and they do say that the new cameras cant touch them but some of that imo is nostalgic and to be different. You can do so much with DSLR's nowadays and you can also produce digital creations and more. Theres so much to learn still and you can be so adventurous too, its the best thing I ever did. One tip I have is ALWAYS shoot RAW. :)
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

I will be waiting on film until I get better at photography. But I probably wouldn't use 35mm, instead I'd look towards medium format, unless digital cameras get much better in a few years.
andr74

Post by andr74 »

EXreaction wrote:Alright, I have been looking into dslr's a lot lately and I think I've decided to get one now.

I am planning on getting the Sony A200. I do like the A300 because of the live view on the LCD, which can flip out and rotate a bit to make some of the more difficult shots easier, but I am not sure that it is worth $100 over the a200.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... oryId=3769
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665345641

The cost would be $400 for the A200 after the $100 credit Sony gives you with a new Sony credit card. Lenses also look cheep as I can pick up used Minolta AF lenses from ebay, but right now I am not sure if I'll need any more lenses. If I'll need any lens first it will probably be a macro lens (I am not sure how well the 18-70mm lenses work with macro photography, something I am interested in quite a bit).
Hi, I think A300 is the best variant. I have the same.

Return to “General Discussion”