Ubuntu

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Ubuntu

Post by DarkGod »

I recently tried Ubuntu 8.04 because an old friend of mine suggested it. At first I was skeptical since I've been a long time user of Windows MCE. But after installing, I must say it: WOW!

I'm not a fan of Linux in general, and I don't have any opinions regarding the other Linux OSs out there, but this is one really sweet OS! There is so much free software goodness to choose from and download, it's insane. They really have gone out of their way. The one program that's a must-have is something called "wine" for the sake of installing Windows applications. It's not perfect, but it works. At the end of this month, 8.10 is expected to come out (I'm looking forward to it). Hopefully OpenOffice 3.0.0 will be out by then, and included in the release. :geek:

Who else here is using Ubuntu, and what are your thoughts?

Main page: http://www.ubuntu.com/
ElbertF

Re: Ubuntu

Post by ElbertF »

I have used Ubuntu for a year and loved it, I'm a big fan of open source and practically all the 3rd party software is free. I must admit I recently switched back to XP because most mainstream software is still Windows only.

If you don't need Adobe or Autodesk products, Google Earth or Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari, webcam on MSN etc., Ubuntu is for you. If found alternatives or Linux versions for most other software including Office, Skype and basic support for all other IMs (Pidgin), Firefox and Opera, Filezilla etc. It's a great, light weight environment for developing software. :)

Oh and you can try Ubuntu without installing it, just download it, burn it on a CD and boot it.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Medibuntu allows Google Earth, and various other goodies ;)
Ishimaru Chiaki
Name: Caroline

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki »

Welcome in da club !

I'm on Ubuntu since May 15, and since I wanted my transition to be smooth, and the fact that I want to be able to test my Web pages under IE, I made a dualboot to keep Windows XP alongside with Ubuntu.

It is my first Linux distro and I had no problem to learn how to use it. As long as you're open to new habits and you're conscious that Linux isn't Windows, learning to use it isn't hard.
I decided to make the move since I was already using mostly free softwares on win xp (gimp, openoffice, 7-zip, vlc, firefox, notepad++, inkscape, wampserver), and since I want to learn to use an alternative OS before I might end up with Vista (bad experiences in my family and friends).
It's a nice OS and I noticed my PC behaves better under Ubuntu (no sudden reboot during a graph/coding session, even when I have firefox+gedit+gimp+totem+emesene running) than on win xp (where I regularly have sudden forced reboots), and my GIMP is more stable on Ubuntu (only a few crashes) than on winxp (regular crashes).
My two only issues : 1) I can't burn ISO files under ubuntu (error message) so I have to boot under XP if I need to burn an ISO. 2) My graphic card (ATI Radeon 7000) doesn't support 3D acceleration and doesn't support normal graphical effects (shadows, transparency) very well (the effects tend to "lag", causing black or transparent windows), and if I deactivate the effects, I have green trails when I move my brush tool over my pic under GIMP, giving me difficulties to see what I'm doing. I coudn't find any proprietary driver for my card so I'm thinking about getting an Nvidia card who fits with my P4's material.

> Anon : I didn't know about the existence of a Google Earth package in Medibuntu, I couldn't find any .deb package when I googled it. But even if I now know it, I won't install it for the simple reason that this app requires 3D acceleration support while my graphic card doesn't support it.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

DarkGod wrote:Hopefully OpenOffice 3.0.0 will be out by then, and included in the release. :geek:
Ubuntu 8.10 is currently frozen except for translations and kernel update, as such the new OpenOffice will not make the release.
DarkGod wrote:Who else here is using Ubuntu, and what are your thoughts?
I've been using Ubuntu since April 2005, and never looked back. Sure I have issues, but things have got better. My only real gripe is support for IBM ThinkPads (I own 3) went wonky sometime over the last year and as such they don't work as well as they used to. Currently I am finding that Flash player is broken in the beta, I've not managed to fix it yet. I have 1 Windows XP installation, 4 Ubuntu installations and 3 Debian installations speaks for itself really. Installing software under Windows seems so primitive compared to a simple 'sudo aptitude install apache2' of course you can even do 'sudo aptitude install phpbb3' :mrgreen:
Ishimaru Chiaki wrote:1) I can't burn ISO files under ubuntu (error message) so I have to boot under XP if I need to burn an ISO.
Works for by dragging it into the CD Creator, hitting write and then choosing "Create from image".
Ishimaru Chiaki wrote:2) My graphic card (ATI Radeon 7000) doesn't support 3D acceleration and doesn't support normal graphical effects (shadows, transparency) very well (the effects tend to "lag", causing black or transparent windows), and if I deactivate the effects, I have green trails when I move my brush tool over my pic under GIMP, giving me difficulties to see what I'm doing. I coudn't find any proprietary driver for my card so I'm thinking about getting an Nvidia card who fits with my P4's material.
Yikes! I have a ATI Radeon 9600 which has supported 3D acceleration but is still slow as anything, I wouldn't even consider enabling effects on that card. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
Ishimaru Chiaki

ToonArmy wrote:
Ishimaru Chiaki wrote:1) I can't burn ISO files under ubuntu (error message) so I have to boot under XP if I need to burn an ISO.
Works for by dragging it into the CD Creator, hitting write and then choosing "Create from image".
I will look at it when 8.10 will be released. The last time I tried, it was with Brasero.
ToonArmy wrote:
Ishimaru Chiaki wrote:2) My graphic card (ATI Radeon 7000) doesn't support 3D acceleration and doesn't support normal graphical effects (shadows, transparency) very well (the effects tend to "lag", causing black or transparent windows), and if I deactivate the effects, I have green trails when I move my brush tool over my pic under GIMP, giving me difficulties to see what I'm doing. I coudn't find any proprietary driver for my card so I'm thinking about getting an Nvidia card who fits with my P4's material.
Yikes! I have a ATI Radeon 9600 which has supported 3D acceleration but is still slow as anything, I wouldn't even consider enabling effects on that card. ;)

When I talk about 3D acceleration, I talk about the "Extra" option, and when I talk about graphical effects, I talk about the "Normal" option. It's located in System > Appearance > Effects. You have 3 choices : None, Normal, Extra.

If it's set to "Normal", I have the lagging effects.
If it's set to "None", I have these green trails when I use the paintbrush under GIMP.

I had disabled the effects for a while, but the green trails issue made me set the effects back to "Normal"
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Worked for me on a ATI Radeon 200M, but it took some effort to get it to work.
dsavi

Post by dsavi »

I love Ubuntu, use it as a development server for my phpBB styles/other stuff. (Specifically Ubuntu Studio) In fact, I hardly use Windows any more.
The amount of software available through Synaptic is amazing. There's nearly everything I want in there, except for the latest Gimp debs, which annoys me.
But what's pretty annoying is the lack of a 64bit flash plugin. :| Makes so I have to run Firefox through WINE, which is buggy, to watch anything on YouTube.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

dsavi wrote:But what's pretty annoying is the lack of a 64bit flash plugin. :| Makes so I have to run Firefox through WINE, which is buggy, to watch anything on YouTube.
There is a better way if you are using Gutsy it would appear.
Chris SmithGitHub
Ishimaru Chiaki

dsavi wrote:I love Ubuntu, use it as a development server for my phpBB styles/other stuff. (Specifically Ubuntu Studio) In fact, I hardly use Windows any more.
The amount of software available through Synaptic is amazing. There's nearly everything I want in there, except for the latest Gimp debs, which annoys me.
But what's pretty annoying is the lack of a 64bit flash plugin. :| Makes so I have to run Firefox through WINE, which is buggy, to watch anything on YouTube.
I wonder which version of Gimp will be included in Intrepid Ibex. I heard that the Gimp version has been frozen when Intrepid's beta version has been released, so it's not sure if the version that will be included in Intrepid will be 2.6

But for sure, I will burn and test Intrepid when the final version will be released, and I'll wait a little while until the first post-release bugs are fixed before I upgrade my Hardy to Intrepid. And I hope my burning issue will be solved. Not all Hardy users were having this issue, and some people had this problem with a previous version (Gutsy or older) while they had no problem under Hardy.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

GIMP 2.6.1 is in Intrepid :)
Chris SmithGitHub
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Post by DarkGod »

ToonArmy wrote:Ubuntu 8.10 is currently frozen except for translations and kernel update, as such the new OpenOffice will not make the release.
You're right about that. It is possible to install OpenOffice.org 3.0.0. To those who are interested in knowing how, take a look at this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-I ... 6449.shtml

P.S. One day left! :D
dsavi

Post by dsavi »

ToonArmy wrote:GIMP 2.6.1 is in Intrepid :)
Good! :)

I have to admit that I've switched back to Vista lately, using Ubuntu Virtual machines if I feel the urge. And I found what seems to be a good port of most of the GNU apps for windows just in case I need emacs or something. Actually I've never used emacs in my life but whatever. It's still useful.
Ishimaru Chiaki

Finally, I managed to remember than damn password to log in there (I cleared all my browsing data lately, so... lost autologin), I never remember which one I entered when I registered and so I have to look in my Gmail to find the email. I'd have replied sooner if I didn't have so much trouble to remember the right password.

About the new Ubuntu, I was waiting since the night before the release and so, when it was finally available this afternoon, I downloaded the .iso via bittorrent and I burned the CD before suppertime. I spent the whole evening testing it and the first improvement I noticed is a better recognition of my LCD 19" monitor (AG Neovo F-419). While Hardy couldn't identify it and offered a very limited choices of resolution; (5 or 6) with a big gap between 1024*768 and 1280*1024 in terms of 3:4/5:4, Intrepid identified my monitor and offered almost the double of the resolution choices.
Here's a screen :

And as you can see, we now can choose to have the cursor included in the screenshot when we choose the settings in the screenshot manager.

As I'm a GFX artist who uses GIMP, I took a look at the new GIMP 2.6 and I notice there are a lot of changes, even more changes between 2.4 and 2.6 than between 2.2 and 2.4
joebert
Name: Joe

Post by joebert »

I'm on a 600mhz 256MB system with Ubuntu on it right now that runs better than my next door neighbors AMD Athlon64 3000+ 1GB system with Windows XP on it.

He just bought a new multi-core system with 4GBs of RAM in it and I'm buying his old system and putting Ubuntu on it. He's going to be pissed when I show him it running better than his new system in a month or so. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”