Google Gears?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Google Gears?

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_gears

This software seems to make your browsing faster somehow. I don't really understand how it will manage to do it. But some popular software programs like Wordpress are using it.

Any thoughts?
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Google Gears?

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Google Gears provides what HTML5 is supposedly going to provide-storage of data on your client.

Sounds a tad scary, doesn't it?

Basically, Google Gears will create a database on your computer where the website in question will store its data, allowing for faster retrieval. There's more than just creating a database, but that's one thing it can do.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

It was launched as a tool to make web applications like Gmail, Google Reader and Docs available off line but Google seems to have bigger plans for it. It's probably a step towards moving all desktop applications to the web without losing speed (cloud computing) so there will be no need for full featured operating systems like MS Windows. Chrome has Gears built in, which is why I think Google's web browser is a direct attack on Microsoft (they now started working on their own cloud, Windows Strata).
ssnobben

Post by ssnobben »

yes and between those giants is the small man that doesn't want any control of those giving info of my panties size and colour.

Thank Good that open source is an alternative those days! Google and MS will always be a hate and love relation for those that depending on their revenue streams for either of them.... :D
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

How exactly do you measure the "speed" of HTML 5? If you mean the processing of the code it's not faster then HTML 1 to 4 and depends completely on the browser you're using. :)
Smithsonian!

Post by Smithsonian! »

Techie-Micheal wrote:Google Gears provides what HTML5 is supposedly going to provide-storage of data on your client.

Basically, Google Gears will create a database on your computer where the website in question will store its data, allowing for faster retrieval. There's more than just creating a database, but that's one thing it can do.
Wouldn't that makes security holes. The site could possibly store viruses on your comp and then it could be executed.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Smithsonian! wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Google Gears provides what HTML5 is supposedly going to provide-storage of data on your client.

Wouldn't that makes security holes. The site could possibly store viruses on your comp and then it could be executed.
That's why I said it was scary. ;) You are allowing a website to store arbitrary data on your computer. And I was corrected the other day, HTML 5 already allows websites to store data like Google Gears does.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
webmasterforum
I am too lazy to register

Post by webmasterforum »

I believe google engineers can produce always fast products like you said.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think I will opt out.

I demand complete control over my machines. I get to pick what is allowed in from the net and elsewhere.

robert
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Google Gears is not a standard and only works with Chrome. I don't really see the point, since only 1 in 100 people use Chrome in the first place.

If it were standardized and other browsers supported it then I would use it.
Mi ji

Post by Mi ji »

I use Chrome and I had read something about Google Gears... now it seems like I might look into this a little more. Honestly, I really enjoy the speed of Chrome. Though I wonder if that has something to do with the Gears?
dlpenguinlover

Post by dlpenguinlover »

Please could we add this into our collection of MODs? :geek:
DEVPPL

Post by DEVPPL »

Isn't this the same as google web accelerator did back in the days? Just a name change of that project?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

DEVPPL wrote:Isn't this the same as google web accelerator did back in the days? Just a name change of that project?
Nope they are different, Google Gears is deprecated now. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Web_Accelerator and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Gears
Chris SmithGitHub

Return to “General Discussion”