Windows 7 is behind you! Yawnn...

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Windows 7 is behind you! Yawnn...

Post by 3Di »

Yes, it seems the new $indows OS, codename is 'Vienna', it is close to us, right or wrong..

Teh Link

Just curious to see/know if somebody already have got a clue about it and discuss it here..

Regards. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Windows 7 is behind you! Yawnn...

Post by KevC »

There's a great video clip on the BBC (not sure if it's available to non-UKers though)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7695933.stm

The MS guy is trying to show off the touch screen pinch picture resizing but has about 8 goes at it before it works.

I think I'll pass!
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Kevin Clark wrote:(not sure if it's available to non-UKers though)
I can see it from Italy FWIW.. thank you. :)
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Kevin Clark wrote:The MS guy is trying to show off the touch screen pinch picture resizing but has about 8 goes at it before it works.
I saw the entire clip, more than one time because I got hard time trying to understand his English (that's due to the fact I'm not used to speak English all the days, just read and write it)..

anyway, that could be because he got his fingertips buttered? or what? :lol:

A part of this, it looks very $dvanced, isn't? :)
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Basically all of the "innovations" I have seen appear to have come from Apple or Google.

No surprises there.
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Post by DarkGod »

With that guy touching the screen, all I'm thinking about is *finger prints, stop touching!*

That's one thing I won't be using. I'd rather relax my arms and use a mouse than to reach up and put smudges all over my monitor.

XP's support will end in 2014. By then, they should have SP2 out for Windows 7. I won't get it until then.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Does anybody know if $icro$oft released an official BETA somewhere to d/l?
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

microsoft released an alpha version to developers at its PDC in L.A. (known as M3 - milestone 3).

as for an official download, no. im sure there is a copy floating around on the "pirate" sites though. i personally wouldnt touch it (pirated or not). just too buggy at this point.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Yes, I was just looking for an official version.. ;) 8-)

Thank you. :)
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

god0fgod wrote:Basically all of the "innovations" I have seen appear to have come from Apple or Google.

No surprises there.
Apple, okay, but Google? They're a web software company. Outside of Android, what products do they have in the market, exactly, which can be compared to those being offered by Windows? Google is irrelevant in this discussion. ;)

Innovation is also a subjective term. For example, most technologies we have today were "innovated" inside of a university technology lab and simply put into a product by mainstream companies.

While it's still very early in development, the reviews from attendees of PDC have been generally very positive of Windows 7 from a hands-on perspective. Whether those will hold up, we can only tell with time. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't overpromise and underdeliver again. ;)
The MS guy is trying to show off the touch screen pinch picture resizing but has about 8 goes at it before it works.
One must also consider the hardware involved. In the video linked above, if I can see clearly, that touchscreen is either a Sony or an HP, both of which I've had personal experiences with. The screen itself is utterly horrible and is not easy to use as a touchscreen. Your fingers stick and it often gets confused because of that sticking. The sticking is due to the physical materials that make up the screen. It's a glossy glass and has a very high friction constant with your skin.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the software in the computer and isn't something Microsoft has control over, but rather the physical response capability of the screen itself and its manufacturer. I'm sure these will significantly improve between now and the primetime release of Windows 7.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
symbolicpixel

Post by symbolicpixel »

Yeah, I heard about Windows 7. Interesting. Perhaps I should buy an x64 desktop sooner than I thought.

As for Microsoft releasing their "Designed for Windows" decals like XP, Vista, and what-not, they once put up "Vista Capable" decals on new PC's while they were working on shaping up Vista. So now that we are up to Vista, does that mean they will start releasing "Windows 7 Capable" decals on the new computers that our companies are manufacturing? I feel a little concerned.

If I can get a good copy, I'll give it a try. But I really don't trust some of the OS'es beyond XP since most users called Vista "a repeat of ME".
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

symbolicpixel wrote:As for Microsoft releasing their "Designed for Windows" decals like XP, Vista, and what-not, they once put up "Vista Capable" decals on new PC's while they were working on shaping up Vista. So now that we are up to Vista, does that mean they will start releasing "Windows 7 Capable" decals on the new computers that our companies are manufacturing? I feel a little concerned.
According to Microsoft, the plan is to make Windows 7 less resource intensive than Vista or at least the same. Performance shouldn't be a problem ... we hope. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Post by DarkGod »

symbolicpixel wrote:If I can get a good copy, I'll give it a try. But I really don't trust some of the OS'es beyond XP since most users called Vista "a repeat of ME".
Vista has come a long way. SP1 fixed over 70% of known issues I heard from one computer store, and SP2 will be coming out next year before Windows 7 does. Windows ME had very little support (if any).
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

AdamR wrote:
god0fgod wrote:Basically all of the "innovations" I have seen appear to have come from Apple or Google.

No surprises there.
Apple, okay, but Google? They're a web software company. Outside of Android, what products do they have in the market, exactly, which can be compared to those being offered by Windows? Google is irrelevant in this discussion. ;)
Microsoft are going to use Google's idea of web applications. From what I read the next version of Microsoft Office will be web based.

I somewhat doubt I read that right.
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

Even if Microsoft is considering making software that will work on the web, I severly doubt that he will leave a desktop platform of Office.

And MS Office isn't Windows, in the OS, there really isn't much you can copy from Google.

Return to “General Discussion”