Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Post Reply
User avatar
soxie
Former Team Member
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:31 pm
Location: boston
Name: Brian

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by soxie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:23 pm

I don't really have a horse in this race and have remained for the most part an observer of the discussion, but just to point out...
god0fgod wrote:What? I never said anything about other animals not having souls.
god0fgod wrote:We kill small animals all the time and do we care. Smaller animals lack intelligence and souls.
// brian

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Small animals ≠ Animals

User avatar
soxie
Former Team Member
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:31 pm
Location: boston
Name: Brian

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by soxie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm

You don't think small animals are animals?

Can I have some of the drugs you're taking, please :)
// brian

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Small Animals < Animals

Animals aren't just small animals, they include larger ones too.

User avatar
soxie
Former Team Member
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:31 pm
Location: boston
Name: Brian

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by soxie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:54 pm

god0fgod wrote: Animals aren't just small animals, they include larger ones too.
I don't get it, first you say small animals aren't animals, now you're saying small animals are animals, just not like big animals. Well, sir, your observation skills are quite insightful :shock: So lets get this straight, you're saying small animals have no soul, but larger ones do? Where do you draw the line from small animals to big animals? Just curious.
// brian

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Oh dear. Does anyone else understand the difference between animals and small animals here?

By small I mean insect sized.

User avatar
soxie
Former Team Member
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:31 pm
Location: boston
Name: Brian

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by soxie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

god0fgod wrote: By small I mean insect sized.
So what evidence do you have that shows insect sized animals (even though you referred to rat sized animals earlier) have no "soul"?
// brian

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 pm

None. What evidence do we have that we aren't all living inside the Matrix?

Most of us crush insects with no regard because they are pests and they are so small we don't believe them to be sentient at all.

User avatar
soxie
Former Team Member
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:31 pm
Location: boston
Name: Brian

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by soxie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

god0fgod wrote:None.
It's a shame it took a few pages for you to say so, but glad to see you've come around. :)
// brian

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm

You have no evidence that they do have souls, do you? Are you saying you believe they do have souls in which case, if you were a good person, you would avoid killing small animals as I've stated. Spiders, Ants, Wasps, Mosquitoes etc. as examples.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Name: Chris Smith
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by ToonArmy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm

god0fgod wrote:Most of us crush insects with no regard because they are pests and they are so small we don't believe them to be sentient at all.
I'm pretty sure insects have sensation and are therefore sentient. I usually kill them because I've no idea I'm doing it.
Chris SmithGitHub

User avatar
soxie
Former Team Member
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:31 pm
Location: boston
Name: Brian

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by soxie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:49 am

god0fgod wrote:You have no evidence that they do have souls, do you?
I'm not sure if they do or they don't. I've never been an insect before ;) Nor do I know what a "soul" really is, anyways.
// brian

Desdenova
Registered User
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by Desdenova » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:39 pm

god0fgod wrote:You have no evidence that they do have souls, do you?
You have no evidence that they don't have souls, do you?

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by god0fgod » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Precisely but we can use take it from common sense because their brains are so tiny that they surely can't be compared with human sentience. If they do have souls they must be insignificant compared to humans.

In this case, experimenting on small, less intelligent, presumably less sentient animals to save human lives is justifiable? Are insects not sentient at all or have so little sentience that we can exterminate them for our own comfort?

This is why I said earlier we should do medical tests on small animals at least first and do no animal testing on things like cosmetics. And I really don't care when I kill insects, bugs and spiders.

I eat meat but I like the standards of animal welfare to be high. I don't like cheap meat where the animals have been intensively farmed.

Desdenova
Registered User
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by Desdenova » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:59 pm

god0fgod wrote:Precisely but we can use take it from common sense because their brains are so tiny that they surely can't be compared with human sentience. If they do have souls they must be insignificant compared to humans.
That's pretty egotistical, to claim that the size of one's brain is directly proportional to one's sentience.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”