Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by Darth Wong » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:09 am

I think people are having trouble understanding that the root problem of resurrecting a T-Rex is that there is not a single intact T-Rex DNA strand existing anywhere on the planet. This is no small problem; you cannot clone something that does not exist.

Even if genetic engineering became so sophisticated in the future that we could decipher scraps of DNA and build designer creatures out of them, so what? You still wouldn't be cloning a T-Rex. You'd be cloning something you genetically engineered mostly from scratch to look and act like what you expect a T-Rex to be. It would have a few shreds of T-Rex DNA in it if you're lucky.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:56 am

Darth Wong wrote:I think people are having trouble understanding that the root problem of resurrecting a T-Rex is that there is not a single intact T-Rex DNA strand existing anywhere on the planet. This is no small problem; you cannot clone something that does not exist.

Even if genetic engineering became so sophisticated in the future that we could decipher scraps of DNA and build designer creatures out of them, so what? You still wouldn't be cloning a T-Rex. You'd be cloning something you genetically engineered mostly from scratch to look and act like what you expect a T-Rex to be. It would have a few shreds of T-Rex DNA in it if you're lucky.
Even if that did happen, I'll be pretty happy with the outcome.. can you imagine an animal looking like and acting like a T-rex.. from what I expect it to act like?

That would be pure awesomeness. (even if it weren't a 100% T-rex.. even it was %25 that would still be a huge thing for mankind to accomplish.)
8-)

themodette

Post by themodette » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 pm

What a frightening thought.. :? Although we may be ok as long as we leave out the T Rexs and all the other nasties! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”