Can the internet be a business opportunity?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
aaop

Can the internet be a business opportunity?

Post by aaop »

I wonder: Can the internet be a business opportunity?

I'm tired of seeing many money making websites and scam opportunities that have the only purpose of getting something from us.

But if we really give a thought to that, can the internet be a truly job or business opportunity? If you see a website like businessmanworld.com you see that they are making some money from advertising and memberships and they are distributing it among their members. Something like a revenue sharing thing.

Can the internet be really a sustainable business platform? Can businesses be conducted just from the internet without having solid walls? Will the economy, the services and the industries transfer themselves to the internet formatting a true virtual economy?
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Can the internet be a business opportunity?

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Just look at Amazon. Amazon does rather well for itself considering it doesn't have any B&M's.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Of course it can.

Being completely online has many advantages as well. It's very cheap to run a business from the internet compared to running a store or multiple stores.

Making money purely from advertising is very difficult to do however.
weatherkid

Post by weatherkid »

But it can be done, look at Coca-Cola the main way they sell their product is by advertising

notice I said main, not only
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Coca-Cola makes money from selling a product.
The question about advertising was whether you could make enough money from simply advertising, without selling a product.
weatherkid

Post by weatherkid »

oh, sorry :oops:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

actually, most of the "internet" is for money.

probably 99% of all websites are commerce sites for some type of product or service.

and probably 99% of the remaining 1% have adsense or some other advertising on them so the owners can try to make a little money.

commerce is basically the main reason the web was invented ( the change from the "net" to the "web" )

robert
S.Y.N.A.P.S.E.

Post by S.Y.N.A.P.S.E. »

Yes, it is.

Hire me, I can. (hey barack.. :) ..)
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Adsense is probably the biggest scam unless you are running a site for a bunch of idiots who like to click on random links.

Otherwise you get like $100 every 3-5 months if you are lucky.
S.Y.N.A.P.S.E.

Post by S.Y.N.A.P.S.E. »

EXreaction wrote:Adsense is probably the biggest scam unless you are running a site for a bunch of idiots who like to click on random links.

lol, you told the truth :D :lol:
andr74

Post by andr74 »

Yes of course!! Internet allows people to earn money and have a bussines. I earn money so too.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

EXreaction wrote:Adsense is probably the biggest scam unless you are running a site for a bunch of idiots who like to click on random links.

Payments are based on keyword desirability. I have several sites with adsense on them, and the subject matter is different across each. If you have a site related to keywords that are bid higher, your income is higher as well of course.

What I have seen (and blogged about more than once) is that adsense revenues as a whole are declining because people are used to them now and don't even see them, or use various techniques / plugins to prevent them from even showing up. Adsense for search revenues (at least for my account) are growing.

Overall with minimal ads / search I am getting a comfortable revenue stream. I would hardly discount it as a scam.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

I think and believe adsense is a scam, at least to smaller websites.
I got kicked out from their program just because they said they detect click fraud.
They just kicked me off their program and there was no evidence any fraud taking place. Just their word.

I felt scammed. In fact, that is why i do not accept pay / click ads anymore. Or the like "if customer makes a purchase using your link you get €€€"
That is a scam too. One purpose of the ad is to make who ever sees it to remember it. If they do not use the service now or buy the product immediately, they are biased to do so later if you need such service or product. That is a simple fact of advertizing. :)

Internet can be a good place to do business, but as i have recently noticed soime foreign companies are trying to sell their product using some automatic translations. They look absolutely crap. :P
I have one quideline, if it is not grammatically correct, it is scam.
Someone might say that about my english skills, but... :P That is one way i weed out the web garbage.

A good ad can boost your sales. Don't underestimate the value of one ad. It is worth a lot more than just a click. :)
EDIT: have you ever taken a survey on a website who tries to improve their service?
One question almost always is "Do you remember seeing this ad"
That is just one way of making sure they have formed their ads correctly. If you do not remember it, they can always change it so you do...

One trend for internet business can be seen from the newspapers. Newspepers are more or less losing readers when younger generations learn to use internet. Just go to any newspapers website and see yourself.
Some charge you few €uros for letting you read a "virtual newspaper"
Some only give teasers or stripped down versions of their headlines (wishing you go and buy todays paper) and some just let you read it all for free. Those who let you free probably has a lot of ads.

A computer store here only keeps the cheapest crap on the shelf. The more expensive stuff can be ordered withing two days delivery.
One good thing for e business is you don't have to keep large stocks. You can order stuff from the importer as you go and get customers.
Signature is here
aaop

Post by aaop »

So, you think that any website or company need to sell some product. Just few can survive through advertising. And what about selling immaterial things? Take this website: businessmanworld dot com. They have advertising and they also get money from memberships. Then they redistribute this money among the writers. Is this some kind of speculation or is it a valid way of doing business? What do you think about it.

I'm not questioning about the website itself, but trying to find out if this can be an innovative, new way of business...
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

aaop wrote:Take this website: businessmanworld dot com. They have advertising and they also get money from memberships. Then they redistribute this money among the writers. Is this some kind of speculation or is it a valid way of doing business? What do you think about it.

I'm not questioning about the website itself, but trying to find out if this can be an innovative, new way of business...
I see this nothing more than employer paying salary for their employees. :)
Signature is here

Return to “General Discussion”