Your opinions on TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Dog Cow

Re: Your opinions on the TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Post by Dog Cow »

Anon wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:The Pirate Bay. Pirated software.
Eggplant. It is simultaneously an egg and a plant.
Oh my god, No! That eggplant is pirating software! Someone stop it!! :shock:

Eat it, eat it! Cook it into a stew! :o
phpDummie wrote: My whole problem with all these copyright laws is that the consumer seems to be on the short end of it.
That's the general idea, and I suppose that if you spent many hours of your life and much money on creating a product, you would want to secure it with copyright and make some profits from it as well. I certainly would!
phpDummie

Re: Your opinions on TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Post by phpDummie »

Dog Cow wrote:I suppose that if you spent many hours of your life and much money on creating a product, you would want to secure it with copyright and make some profits from it as well.
First of all, the copyright belongs to the author - hopefully, most of the time :) - and pirates can not steal that. Nobody denies artists their copyright. So, let's not confuse the copyright as such and distribution of copyrighted material.

To answer your question, yes, I would, but I wouldn't want to impose undue inconvenience on my customers on a remote chance that some of them may violate my trust and re-distribute my work without me getting a red cent for it.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

phpDummie wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:I suppose that if you spent many hours of your life and much money on creating a product, you would want to secure it with copyright and make some profits from it as well.
First of all, the copyright belongs to the author - hopefully, most of the time :) - and pirates can not steal that. Nobody denies artists their copyright. So, let's not confuse the copyright as such and distribution of copyrighted material.

To answer your question, yes, I would, but I wouldn't want to impose undue inconvenience on my customers on a remote chance that some of them may violate my trust and re-distribute my work without me getting a red cent for it.
This and if somebody is going to use a copied version of something instead of paying for a real version, what makes you think that they would have purchased it if they could not download it for free?

I for one am sick of companies making previews and demos of something that show only the good things, then covering up any mention of severe instabilities and bugs from others and having utter crap for the rest of the movie/game/whatever. This is the reason I never see any movies in theaters anymore and I don't really look into new games. I also rarely if ever buy something before renting it.
Anon
Former Team Member

Re: Your opinions on the TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Post by Anon »

Dog Cow wrote:
Anon wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:The Pirate Bay. Pirated software.
Eggplant. It is simultaneously an egg and a plant.
Oh my god, No! That eggplant is pirating software! Someone stop it!! :shock:
Pirate Surprise:
  • 1 part Absolut Vodka
    2 parts Sockerdricka
    1 part Rum
    3 parts The Pirate Bay
    Best served over ice
phpDummie

Post by phpDummie »

EXreaction wrote:This and if somebody is going to use a copied version of something instead of paying for a real version, what makes you think that they would have purchased it if they could not download it for free?
First of all, I wouldn't have any problem if my software was distributed and used freely for personal non-paying projects. If one makes money though the use of my software, it's only fair I'd see something in return.

To answer your question, they would have absolutely no possible substitution. They would have no choice but buy it from me (or my competitors). It's because the software in question is kind of very specific - it's computer fonts. I used to do Cyrillic font design. Fonts are by far the most unprotected and pirated type of software. You can't put even a serial number on them. But if you must have a particular typeface - there is no cost efficient way to get around purchasing it. Of course, this is not true for other types of software.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

They were convicted for a year in prison + must pay almost three million euros.
Ofcourse they will appeal, so it might take a lot longer to actually get them in jail. Or any money from them. Or closing down their website...

They were convicted for aiding a felony.
Signature is here
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

I use torrent for a lot of things: tv, drama, movies
sorry, I am just one of those "criminals"
(well..... there are millions of such sites, sharing "Torrents" of pirateeeeeee files
so... -.-"...hmmmm
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

lurttinen wrote:They were convicted for a year in prison + must pay almost three million euros.

Wow, what a big surprise... :roll: Of course the entire site is illegal. Everyone says, "mais, non! The torrents have legal uses as well!"

Well guess what most of the entire world uses torrents for? :P

I challenge anyone who says "the technology is legal!" to make a list of the 10 latest things he/she has downloaded from torrents and we will see how many of them were legal or not. :lol:
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

lurttinen wrote:They were convicted for aiding a felony.
Which is what I said would happen. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
You + many other hundreds of people, no doubt.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Dog Cow wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
You + many other hundreds of people, no doubt.
Yeah.
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

Dog Cow wrote:I challenge anyone who says "the technology is legal!" to make a list of the 10 latest things he/she has downloaded from torrents and we will see how many of them were legal or not. :lol:
Everything I have ever downloaded (or uploaded) using a torrent was a legal. ;) All of my current torrents (up and down) are Linux distros, but I have also recently used torrents to download "The Slip" by NIN, and I am always try to seed the latest version of Open Office and a few other open source software packages for a month or so after they are released.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Dog Cow wrote:I challenge anyone who says "the technology is legal!" to make a list of the 10 latest things he/she has downloaded from torrents and we will see how many of them were legal or not. :lol:
Back in the day, a friend and I ran a torrent tracker for gaming related media. That is, demos, trailers, recordings, etc.

It was all perfectly legal and some of the companies uploaded their own stuff directly. Occasionally we would get a letter saying "Please take down video X as we had not intended it to be released yet", and we complied.

We got bored with it after around a year, but in the month surrounding E3 (remember E3?), we moved 11TB of data.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

lurttinen wrote:They were convicted for a year in prison + must pay almost three million euros.
Ofcourse they will appeal, so it might take a lot longer to actually get them in jail. Or any money from them. Or closing down their website...

I'm saddened by this. I hope for the best that their appeal is accepted.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Green Light wrote:

I'm saddened by this. I hope for the best that their appeal is accepted.
Why should it be? They broke the law, knew that they were doing so, and continued anyway. What they got is exactly what I said they would get, this should be no surprise.

Return to “General Discussion”