Your opinions on TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Dog Cow

Re: Your opinions on the TBH trial (The pirate Bay)

Post by Dog Cow »

EXreaction wrote:By the same reasoning, if you owned a property where someone was shot, you should also be tried for murder.
Law isn't cut and dried like that. By similar reasons, a person who owned a property and used it as a terrorist training center could also be tried.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

EXreaction wrote:By the same reasoning, if you owned a property where someone was shot, you should also be tried for murder.
huh? What reasoning?

Let me requote what I've requoted.
knowing that a crime has been committed aids or shelters the offender with intent to defeat justice
Someone was killed on your property. But did you hide and protect the murderer? I sure hope not, because then you would be an accessory to murder, which is almost as though you pulled the trigger yourself. Then, and only then, are you in trouble.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Dog Cow wrote: We've already discussed this, hence why I used the term "Illegal torrents" on Pirate Bay.
Yes but your argument isn't making any sense because you mention both legal OR illegal guns and you're comparing that to just illegal torrents.

legal gun = legal torrent
illegal gun = illegal torrent

They can both have legal or illegal uses.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Torrents are not illegal. Would it be illegal to know the postal address of someone selling illegal weapons?
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

EXreaction wrote:Torrents are not illegal.
You've just made a sweeping generalization which is incorrect. Torrents of illegal, pirated software or movies are illegal.
Would it be illegal to know the postal address of someone selling illegal weapons?
That's completely irrelevant.
thecoalman wrote: Yes but your argument isn't making any sense because you mention both legal OR illegal guns and you're comparing that to just illegal torrents.

legal gun = legal torrent
illegal gun = illegal torrent

They can both have legal or illegal uses.
Let me quote what I said. Notice how I have prefixed the noun 'torrents' with the adjective 'illegal'. Yes, I acknowledge that there are legal torrents, but so far, I have only been discussing the illegal ones, since it is the illegal torrents which have gotten the Pirate Bay into trouble.
Dog Cow wrote:Problem with the gun thing: guns have a legal and illegal purpose. Illegal torrents on the Pirate Bay only have one purpose, and that purpose is illegal distribution of software.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

EXreaction wrote:Torrents are not illegal. Would it be illegal to know the postal address of someone selling illegal weapons?
We've already established many times over that torrents in and of themselves are not illegal. :) Your second analogy makes no sense to me though.
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

i was under the impression that the crux of TBHs arguments were that they are not engaging in piracy but that they are just providing links to files that may coincidentally be used for piracy. sort-of like google. google should not be held liable for linking to illegal things because that is just the way it works. it is all automated and if it links to something illegal there is no real easy way of knowing that. to ban linking like that would destroy a large part of the internet.

of course i also think that is a bad analogy. a better analogy is illegal youtube videos. google does not link to them - google hosts them and if they are illegal google takes them down after a dmca notice is sent. thepiratebay is not providing links - it is hosting the torrent and is acting as a tracker for that torrent.

certainly torrents ought not be illegal but select torrents perhaps should be.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

suitlocal wrote:i was under the impression that the crux of TBHs arguments were that they are not engaging in piracy but that they are just providing links to files that may coincidentally be used for piracy. sort-of like google. google should not be held liable for linking to illegal things because that is just the way it works. it is all automated and if it links to something illegal there is no real easy way of knowing that. to ban linking like that would destroy a large part of the internet.

of course i also think that is a bad analogy. a better analogy is illegal youtube videos. google does not link to them - google hosts them and if they are illegal google takes them down after a dmca notice is sent. thepiratebay is not providing links - it is hosting the torrent and is acting as a tracker for that torrent.

certainly torrents ought not be illegal but select torrents perhaps should be.
Sure, they can't know that what's uploaded is illegal when it is uploaded, but when they receive a complaint, they shouldn't laugh at the person and refuse to take it down as they have been doing.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Techie-Micheal wrote:Sure, they can't know that what's uploaded is illegal when it is uploaded, but when they receive a complaint, they shouldn't laugh at the person and refuse to take it down as they have been doing.
Well I agree they shouldn't mock the companies that send legal threats to them, but they shouldn't have to take down torrents that are said to be illegal.. Maybe if the servers were in America then it would be different.

TPB can keep the torrents it's not against the law to host torrent files, torrent files are legal. what's inside may not, but even what is inside, those files are never being sent or received to/from TPB ...

Just realized that I said TBH instead of TPB.. not sure how. :oops:
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Green Light wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Sure, they can't know that what's uploaded is illegal when it is uploaded, but when they receive a complaint, they shouldn't laugh at the person and refuse to take it down as they have been doing.
Well I agree they shouldn't mock the companies that send legal threats to them, but they shouldn't have to take down torrents that are said to be illegal..
That's kinda the whole point. ;) They should, after appropriate proof has been provided.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
Green Light wrote:
Well I agree they shouldn't mock the companies that send legal threats to them, but they shouldn't have to take down torrents that are said to be illegal..
That's kinda the whole point. ;) They should, after appropriate proof has been provided.
They Should*
But they don't have to. That's their whole philosophy, they don't have to so they're not going to.
I believe their reason for mocking the companies is probably because of all their legal threats.They were like wth, let's just show them how much we give about their threats.
(and they mocked them...)

I really don't see how they can loose in this case, unless somehow a new law was brought in and then a new trial or the end of TPB.. but even before a new trial, they would end up closing the illegal torrents.. that's only if a new law was placed..

Don't mind what i just said I was just thinking.. :P
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

What they shouldn't expect is for nothing further to happen. I don't see how its a problem if they do or don't remove requested materials they know what position they put themselves in.
Chris SmithGitHub
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

ToonArmy wrote:
What they shouldn't expect is for nothing further to happen. I don't see how its a problem if they do or don't remove requested materials they know what position they put themselves in.
They know that U.S. laws don't apply to residents in Sweden.
That's why they're not afraid.
Their even acting as if the trial is a joke itself.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Green Light wrote:They know that U.S. laws don't apply to residents in Sweden.
I know and it is totally pointless discussing based on US laws because TPB is not under US jurisdiction.
Chris SmithGitHub
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

ToonArmy wrote:
Green Light wrote:They know that U.S. laws don't apply to residents in Sweden.
I know and it is totally pointless discussing based on US laws because TPB is not under US jurisdiction.
I don't think anybody is discussing US law.

Return to “General Discussion”