Your opinions on TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Re: Your opinions on the TPB trial (The pirate Bay)

Post by TerraFrost »

Can't TPB founders be tried in absentia in the countries where TPB would be illegal? Failing that, a warrant could be issued. They wouldn't be served until they entered the host country, but once it was served, they could, afaik, be held, pending a trial whose outcome would, presumably, be fairly certain.
Dog Cow

Re: Your opinions on the TBH trial (The pirate Bay)

Post by Dog Cow »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:
Green Light wrote:They know that U.S. laws don't apply to residents in Sweden.
That's why they're not afraid.
Their even acting as if the trial is a joke itself.
I know and it is totally pointless discussing based on US laws because TPB is not under US jurisdiction.
I don't think anybody is discussing US law.
There's more than just US law. There's international law to contend with as well!
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Torrents are not illegal. Would it be illegal to know the postal address of someone selling illegal weapons?
We've already established many times over that torrents in and of themselves are not illegal. :) Your second analogy makes no sense to me though.
Torrents are basically nothing more than just addresses telling you where to get information. Thus they wouldn't be different than knowing the address of someone selling something illegal if they linked to illegal content.
Dog Cow wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Torrents are not illegal.
You've just made a sweeping generalization which is incorrect. Torrents of illegal, pirated software or movies are illegal.
Would it be illegal to know the postal address of someone selling illegal weapons?
That's completely irrelevant.
No, torrents are flat out not illegal, no matter what they link to.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Dog Cow wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Torrents are not illegal.
You've just made a sweeping generalization which is incorrect. Torrents of illegal, pirated software or movies are illegal.

No, torrents are flat out not illegal, no matter what they link to.
EXreaction your are totally correct, torrents aren't illegal even if they point to files that are illegal.
Dog Cow wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Would it be illegal to know the postal address of someone selling illegal weapons?
That's completely irrelevant.
@Dog Cow, EXreaction is saying that a torrent is like a postal address of someone selling illegal weapons.
Meaning that a torrent only links to the seeders who are sharing files.. so IDK what you mean by irrelevant, that was an example as for how a torrent works and an explanation on how torrents are not illegal.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Green Light wrote: EXreaction your are totally correct, torrents aren't illegal even if they point to files that are illegal.
EXreaction wrote: No, torrents are flat out not illegal, no matter what they link to.
What country do you live in? You live in the US, right? Did you know that just linking to pirated material, even if it is on another site/server is still illegal? It's called promoting and aiding in piracy.

Yet again, you have made another generalization which is incorrect.

(Disclaimer: I am fully aware that the Pirate Bay is not based in the US)
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

I think Exreaction is splitting hairs. That doesn't change the fact that TPB has not been taking responsibility for removing copyrighted material and other sensitive material. That's their responsibility.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Techie-Micheal wrote:I think Exreaction is splitting hairs. That doesn't change the fact that TPB has not been taking responsibility for removing copyrighted material and other sensitive material. That's their responsibility.
They never had any copyrighted material on their servers.
Chris SmithGitHub
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Techie-Micheal wrote:I think Exreaction is splitting hairs. That doesn't change the fact that TPB has not been taking responsibility for removing copyrighted material and other sensitive material. That's their responsibility.
While they certainly could have done things differently, if the torrents they had on their website were not illegal, I don't think they legally really would have had to do anything.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

ToonArmy wrote:
But they have had links to them. If they don't have links to them, people can't get to that material through them, can they?
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:
But they have had links to them. If they don't have links to them, people can't get to that material through them, can they?
But they're allowed to have links to them....
Or are they not?
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Dog Cow wrote:
Green Light wrote: EXreaction your are totally correct, torrents aren't illegal even if they point to files that are illegal.
EXreaction wrote: No, torrents are flat out not illegal, no matter what they link to.
What country do you live in? You live in the US, right? Did you know that just linking to pirated material, even if it is on another site/server is still illegal? It's called promoting and aiding in piracy.

Yet again, you have made another generalization which is incorrect.

(Disclaimer: I am fully aware that the Pirate Bay is not based in the US)
Then what are you saying? TPB is located outside of the US...
If you thought I was talking about in General then no I wasn't.. I was talking about specifically TPB trail.
** because this is a TPB trial discussion. **
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Green Light wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:
But they're allowed to have links to them....
Or are they not?
As per Dog Cow above, I don't think they are, at least in the US, UK, etc. Like was mentioned, international law.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Then it would not matter if they did not remove the torrents.... Like i said before..

Though this was for dog cow I said;
Green Light wrote: Then what are you saying? TPB is located outside of the US...
Atkascha

Post by Atkascha »

The pirate bay has been sued and shit so many times, they've been sued out of nearly 2 million dollars or more.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Atkascha wrote:The pirate bay has been sued and *beep* so many times, they've been sued out of nearly 2 million dollars or more.
Do you have any information that can back you up? I know that TPB has threatened before allot of times.. and they want to sue many companies..

the pirate bay sued

I read an article about Micheal Jackson and a few others trying to sue TPB..
TPB Blog wrote:Websheriff, oh this sheriff

So, our old friend Websheriff has just dropped a press release that he's going to sue us for 100 million dollars. I can see his Dr. Evil grin when he said that number to the press.

They're going to sue us for Prince, The Village People, Bob Marley, UB40 and Michael Jackson. The common thing for all of these artists are of course that noone listens to them anymore. And hey Michael - do you want us to pay you in small kids maybe?

Websheriff says he wants to sue us in Sweden and in the US. Most of us civilized people understand that people cannot be sued outside their own domicile - aka we can not be sued outside of Sweden. So good luck with that. It proves that the sheriff is just after making some headlines!

Oh on a side note Mr Sheriff - you're saying to the press that you have not sent PI's after us? And that we're paranoid to think that we have had PI's after us? Well, read the police investigation - there's statements from a PI company in there. But of course you're not interested in reading over 4000 pages, it's too hard.

The good thing about this is that we just broke TorrentSpy's law suit. Maybe time to call Guiness, we like to break world records and we just broke one I think! Hooray for TPB!
It looks to me that the companies who try to sue TPB just fail...
And hey Michael - do you want us to pay you in small kids maybe?
:lol:

Return to “General Discussion”