Firefox 3.5 Beta 3 is out!!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jwxie

Re: Firefox 3.5 Beta 3 is out!!

Post by jwxie »

I thought you mean use trackmonkey to find out the updates
but when i read it, i was like, OHHHH, THAT'S A MAJOR NEW FEATURE?

i had read on Safari3, Apple claimed it is much faster than FF since Safari uses Webkit, is that the real reason why? (according to Apple, especially on running javascript, Safari performs much better)

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Maybe. But Safari takes ages to load up, which is its bad point, plus there aren't any add-ons.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Safari uses the Webkit rendering engine.
And while I had not read that from Apple, I ran my own benchmarks and found other sites with the same info to come up with that conclusion. :)
Safari/Webkit load up time is less than half a second, where Firefox can take several seconds to start up, especially with extensions. Webkit does run Javascript really well, but Firefox is a lot better at debugging Javascript issues. That said, the newer Safari/Webkit does have some pretty sweet debugging tools for basic debugging, though they cannot match the extensive debugging and control capabilities of Firefox.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Highway of Life wrote:Safari/Webkit load up time is less than half a second, where Firefox can take several seconds to start up, especially with extensions.
With no extensions I find Firefox to start up a lot faster than Safari.

I haven't really noticed the load-speed of pages but WebKit is a newer and more efficient rendering engine so I would assume that it is faster than Gecko.

jwxie

Post by jwxie »

same, here, i found this too
for example, I just clear my cache, and I am very sure my Internet access today is totally great (no one is using it, except me....)

I opened firefox, and made the index to apple index (just like what Safari is)
it took about 3 seconds to complete

I opened safari, and it took almost 6 seconds to finish
even with caching the same page, it took a bit slower than firefox
Most website I browsed in the past with Safari were generally loaded slower than I did on FireFox and IE....
So far I found it's FireFox -> IE -> Opera -> Safari.... IMO

Tsoe

Post by Tsoe »

I really like Firefox and I use it every day. But FF has to many really old CSS bugs! For example when using tables with "border-collapse: collapse;". There are bug reports about this from 2002/2003 and patches are no apllied to FF 3.6a1pre. But still a great browser!

william.jack38

Post by william.jack38 »

QueeenZ wrote:Finally!! I've been waiting since december 2008 for this beta. I can't wait to test the new TraceMonkey and all new features. It's so much faster, it's definitely the best browser out there and there's no way you can disagree with me on this one unless you like Opera or Konqueror better than Firefox. I mean c'mon how can you like anything better than Firefox

Tested: Chrome vs IE8 vs Firefox 3.1 vs Safari 4 - Winner: Firefox
Microsoft says, IE8 beats Firefox and Chrome
"As recently proposed, the version number of the Shiretoko project will be changed to Firefox 3.5 before the upcoming fourth beta release," said Mike Beltzner, Mozilla's director of Firefox, in a brief entry on the company's developer blog.
The name change has been under discussion for several weeks, prompted in part by calls from developers who thought that the "3.1" moniker didn't properly reflect the amount of new features and changes from last June's Firefox 3.0.
Download: Firefox 3.5 Beta 3

Cheers!
Hey buddy, microsoft said is totally right.
IE 8 is better than Firefox, Chrome, Safari. I have personally tested them with speed factor.
IE 8 is the winner.

DBM

Post by DBM »

tiby wrote:i like FF too, but i have to say, the memory management is very very bad
I don't understand why they still haven't fixed this properly yet. It's not as bad as it used to be - but there's still a long way to go IMO.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

william.jack38 wrote:IE 8 is better than Firefox, Chrome, Safari. I have personally tested them with speed factor.
IE 8 is the winner.
When IE8 supports proper JavaScript, it can win, but it does not, it fails miserably.
They are still about 3-4 years behind most other browsers.

@DBM you can actually force FF to not use so much memory by adjusting the configuration of the app.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Return to “General Discussion”