Opera- why it is not so popular being the coolest

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
liketobemad

Opera- why it is not so popular being the coolest

Post by liketobemad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:22 am

I hear people talking about Firefox and then Internet explorer and even Google Chrome.. but very few people use opera... I feel Opera is the coolest avilable browser. The progress bar which pops up on the bottom of the page showing the speed in KB/s and the inbuilt download, mail managers are very cool.
And pages also load faster. Any one here fans of opera ? your views Please

rickymallory

Re: Opera- why it is not so popular being the coolest

Post by rickymallory » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:40 pm

I agree, Opera is a nice looking browser, But i feel i'm glued to firefox for good because of the addons that i use regularly.

If Opera supported addons in this way i would love it!

Plus im not soo sure on the way operas UI looks, it feels a little tacky to me. I know you can change the theme in OPera but i find all the others just as bad.

liketobemad

Post by liketobemad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Opera widgets are also cool I think.... and the speed dial feature is another addon.. I used old versions of Firefox, wasn't that good.. I think I should have a trail On firefox :D

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 am

I would use Opera if it weren't for the following:
  • No add-ons
  • Not open-source
  • No progress bar for loading
  • No smart-bar like Firefox
I can't believe that Opera was one of the first browsers created and is still barely over 1% and actually exists anymore, I suppose the programmers are very dedicated.

liketobemad

Post by liketobemad » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:52 am

I think opera have SDK released and there are some cool widgets that can be downloaded easily...
It has a progress bar at the bottom (which pops up) showing how much page is downloaded and the speed in KB/S which i think no other browser has.......
In built email manager is also cool.....
And i think it is the browser with zero security Holes
I heard explorer and Even Firefox broking sometimes... but not the case with opere :D
Opening in new tab, back ground tab,I think it is opera to first start the tabbed browsing.....
after using opera and then when i Use internet explorer I just feel like I have been using some very old browser.... Chrome is not at all cool as the opera....

weatherkid

Post by weatherkid » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:28 am

I've never even heard of opera, here it's safari and explorer, and firefox, chrome is pretty uncommon.

I personally like explorer and safari the best.
compass.png
compass.png (23.7 KiB) Viewed 3813 times

andr74

Post by andr74 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:09 pm

I have FF, IE, Opera on my PC. But Opera functions slowler than other browsers. And sometimes it shows errors during the pages opening.

liketobemad

Post by liketobemad » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:36 pm

I am using opera 9.64(the recent version) and literally and never found any errors :D .. On slow connectivities Opera works very well I feel

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:10 pm

liketobemad wrote:It has a progress bar at the bottom (which pops up) showing how much page is downloaded and the speed in KB/S which i think no other browser has.......
Would have to visit sites with lots of data on the page on a slow connection for this to be useful. Most sites I visit load almost instantly.
Eric

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:16 pm

wGEric wrote:
liketobemad wrote:It has a progress bar at the bottom (which pops up) showing how much page is downloaded and the speed in KB/S which i think no other browser has.......
Would have to visit sites with lots of data on the page on a slow connection for this to be useful.
Even than I doubt the usefulness of it.

I absolutely don't use Opera, I think its a PITA and I don't like the "cool" points you posted in your first post. I think claiming its the "coolest" is the wrong entry for a discussion like this as that depends on once needs. I personally only use the nightly WebKit builds.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:52 am

I use the Webkit nightlies on the Mac and Chrome on the Windows laptop. Even though Opera may look pretty, I don't pick my browsers based on what's "cool". I pick them based on what features they give me that I want and how well they do them. In those two cases, Opera does not do as well as others, ergo I do not use it.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

liketobemad

Post by liketobemad » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:27 am

Can any one tell about the security issues? I mean which browser is most secure? Just want to the views of the technical guys here :D
Thank You

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 pm

liketobemad wrote:Can any one tell about the security issues? I mean which browser is most secure? Just want to the views of the technical guys here :D
Thank You
Out of all the common browsers, Opera is the only one that I don't remember seeing a security vulnerability for in a very long time.

IE/Safari are loaded with insecurities. Firefox has some, but it's not even close to the number I see for IE/Safari.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:22 pm

EXreaction wrote:Out of all the common browsers, Opera is the only one that I don't remember seeing a security vulnerability for in a very long time.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/04/opera_update/
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Basically, all software, be it browsers or whatever, have bugs and what not. Some more then others but at the end of the day, nothings perfect. Pick a browser that suits your needs, not what everyone else likes or thinks is cool.

Return to “General Discussion”