Opera- why it is not so popular being the coolest

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mavelogium

Re: Opera- why it is not so popular being the coolest

Post by mavelogium »

I prefer Firefox because it checks the spelling. For me it is the most important option in the browser. Do not check spelling in Opera is a big minus.
Last edited by mavelogium on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

mavelogium wrote:I prefer Firefox because it checks the spelling. For me it is the most important option in the browser. Do not check spelling in Opera is a big minus.
Opera 10 just got into "Final", and Opera 10 also features an inline spellchecker feature, so there is 1 less minus for you.

http://www.opera.com/

Apart from that you can also place the tabs at the left or righthand side of your window(The second screenshot), which I think is nice to.

However I don't know if that is a new feature or not.

Also the new config pages and such (type opera:config in address bar) are a big improvement.
elephantspike

Post by elephantspike »

Chrome has a spill chuck, too, but I have it disabled.
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

elephantspike wrote:Chrome has a spill chuck, too, but I have it disabled.
I can tell :lol:
Hotpants182

Post by Hotpants182 »

Drugs wrote:
elephantspike wrote:Chrome has a spill chuck, too, but I have it disabled.
I can tell :lol:
:lol:
mavelogium

Post by mavelogium »

Double_J, you're right. I installed the latest version of Opera, and in fact spell checker was added.
liketobemad

Post by liketobemad »

I am using Opera 10... pretty nice.. spell checker is there... it also has Turbo feature which can speed up speeds on slow connections.. haven't checked it completely :)
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Opera 10 is an amazing and really out of the box. I do not know why it is not that popular as Firefix but I guess it is the extensions that make Firefox that popular while opera gadgets are amazing as well.

Maybe it is a matter of marketing or just a luck ... I do not know :?
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

MGadAllah wrote:Opera 10 is an amazing and really out of the box. I do not know why it is not that popular as Firefix but I guess it is the extensions that make Firefox that popular while opera gadgets are amazing as well.

Maybe it is a matter of marketing or just a luck ... I do not know :?
I think it has to do with marketing too. Firefox had this 'Get Firefox' thing, and also I noticed that it is shipped by default with the ubuntu linux distro.

Although I must say that when you get used to Firefox, switching to Opera will be a bit hard as the interface is different, but then again, I don't switch to Firefox or Chrome for the same reason.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Chrome seems to be used by an increasingly larger amount of people. I think in a few years it will extend massively.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

god0fgod wrote:Chrome seems to be used by an increasingly larger amount of people. I think in a few years it will extend massively.
Because people do trust Google.
liketobemad

Post by liketobemad »

MGadAllah wrote:
god0fgod wrote:Chrome seems to be used by an increasingly larger amount of people. I think in a few years it will extend massively.
Because people do trust Google.
It's not only about trust.. Google is literally forcing .. for example Orkut - Google's social networking site in India (it is very very popular here) .. Using Orkut's popularity google started adding certain features which will work only (or works better) with Google CHrome and pressing CHrome Download ads as an Example Google Talk Messenger will not load on other browsers on ORkut Window except on Chrome.....
Drity Tricks :lol:
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

liketobemad wrote:It's not only about trust.. Google is literally forcing .. for example Orkut - Google's social networking site in India (it is very very popular here) .. Using Orkut's popularity google started adding certain features which will work only (or works better) with Google CHrome and pressing CHrome Download ads as an Example Google Talk Messenger will not load on other browsers on ORkut Window except on Chrome.....
Drity Tricks :lol:
Its not a dirty trick. They are using css3/html5 items that aren't supported by some browsers, so you have to use a browser that supports it. Google just doesn't want to be dragged down to stone age by supporting old browsers, especially IE that is years behind other browsers in implementing new stuff and slows down progress.

On the topic of Opera: its cool, but its interface seems out of place in Mac environment, so I don't really use it for anything other than checking websites with Opera (which almost always work flawlessly... except for lack of rounded borders support and errors in canvas implementation).
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

It is not a dirty work at all but it is how to work out of the box my friend and how to go in a different way ;)

Return to “General Discussion”