IBM to aquire Sun?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

IBM to aquire Sun?

Post by EXreaction »

A_O_C

Re: IBM to aquire Sun?

Post by A_O_C »

EXreaction wrote:/me wonders what will happen to MySQL
The same thing that happened when Sun aquired MySQL? ;)

From another PCWorld article (note the item underlined):
[b]a merger that happens once in a big blue sun[/b] wrote:Another feather in IBM's hat will be that it will get MySQL, the enormously popular database manager. When Sun bought MySQL, I thought it was the best move the company had ever made. I was wrong.

Sun mishandled its new acquisition. MySQL's top programmers left. MySQL's founder and still Sun CTO for its MySQL division, Michael 'Monty' Widenius said publicly that the GA (general availability) version of MySQL 5.1 was filled with bugs.

With the right management, say IBM's DB2 division, though, MySQL should still be a star. MySQL is the DBMS (database management system) of Web 2.0 businesses such as Twitter, Facebook, and WordPress.
I think the question is, can we trust IBM to develop MySQL?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Hopefully something a lot better than what happened when Sun acquired MySQL. :mrgreen:
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

I think IBM would probably be most interested in Sun's large clients. Large clients are cash cows when they want enterprise level support of proprietary systems (there may be open solaris, but try getting a server spec sparc from anyone other than Sun).
Systems Engineering
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

EXreaction wrote:Hopefully something a lot better than what happened when Sun acquired MySQL. :mrgreen:
What about Open-Office?
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

A_O_C wrote:I think the question is, can we trust IBM to develop MySQL?
I do. ;)
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

So what is the latest news? Did it happen?

I think it wouldn't be a problem. If they want to keep the market of MySQL and OpenOffice, then they wouldn't mess up the current plan and feature Sun did in the past
IBM, why not? Actually if you notice IBM had another office product similar to OpenOffice --> IBM Lotus Symphony
I am using IBM Lotus Symphony, the only two problems are 1) loading, start up is very slow, sometime even crash my pc 2) the dictionary detection is so bad....

well I am still using the first release version, i didn't check if there is any newer version of IBM Lotus Symphony
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Things like this tend to take a long time. IBM has to go through all kinds of info from Sun, like client contracts and all that good stuff.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Not that I'm holding a grudge or anything ( :mrgreen: ), but IBM managed the extraordinary feat of driving OS/2 right smack into the ground. Anything's possible.
We should talk less, and say more.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

SamG wrote:Not that I'm holding a grudge or anything ( :mrgreen: ), but IBM managed the extraordinary feat of driving OS/2 right smack into the ground. Anything's possible.
OS/2? You mean the thing mentioned in the BIOS about memory limits?

(yes, I know what OS/2 is :P)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

SamG wrote:Not that I'm holding a grudge or anything ( :mrgreen: ), but IBM managed the extraordinary feat of driving OS/2 right smack into the ground. Anything's possible.
well, that was a short drive. os/2 wasn't much of an operating system to begin with.

robert
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Really? From what i remember, it kick started the whole 32bit O/S thing. Only downfall was driver support and being more expensive. It's an interesting read ;)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

From my point of view (shared by many Warp users at the time), one of the chief crimes committed by IBM was ambivalence toward its own OS. Only a fraction of IBM PCs ever came loaded with OS/2. Naturally, that resulted in a lack of enthusiasm by software vendors. Relying on Warp's Windows support on the application front made it harder to justify OS/2 deployment at all.

Windows 3 was all the rage on the OEM front. Some productivity software developers had gotten burned in the then recent past with niche markets -- WordPerfect on the Atari ST being a notable example of a bad experience all around. What was needed was a definitive signal by IBM of its commitment to its own product line, which simply wasn't there.

So, IMHO, IBM just botched the job at almost every marketing and strategic opportunity. A superior OS to Windows 3 (almost never BSODed, for example) by any reasonable measure of the time got shot in the foot. IBM proved no match for Microsoft on the strategic and marketing fronts (who actually managed to benefit from OS/2 development). It didn't have to be that way, I don't think.
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

I looked into OS/2 a few years ago...
but i thought this project is at "discontinued" status, isn't it?
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

jwxie wrote:i thought this project is at "discontinued" status, isn't it?
I think that's correct. But last time I checked there was still a very active user base. And just two years ago I had bidders on the last of my OS/2 stuff on eBay. I don't remember where the bidding ended, but the fact that anybody bought it at all means something, I think.

My point in bringing up OS/2 is that those who have some concerns about an IBM acquisition of Sun probably have adequate reason to be concerned.

Return to “General Discussion”