linux mobile operating system

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jwxie

linux mobile operating system

Post by jwxie »

I am going to buy a new phone this week, I have three choices
N85
Samsung OMNIA i908
SAMSUNG INNOV8 i8510

Omnia i908 is running on Windows Mobile 6.1 which will be my first PDA phone ever.

I was having this thought last night: will mobile company like SE, Nokia, and Samsung, and many other uses Linux Mobile Operating System instead of Windows Mobile.

I don't think there is any actual mobile system from any of the linux distribution (the one from ubuntu is for netbook)

The problem is the market. Do you think, it is possible to have linux mobile operating system?
lurttinen
Translator

Re: linux mobile operating system

Post by lurttinen »

Signature is here
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

nice, i didn't even remember that. i mean i hear about Android..but LOL
anyway, is it really good idea to

make mobile phone more like PC, users can decide what OS they want to go with?
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

From what I have seen Android looks to be very promising. It has great ideas. Just needs to be more developed and have more phones that actually run it.

I like how you aren't tied to certain applications. If I don't like the default dialer I can write my own or use a different one. Stuff like that I think is awesome.

Also apps are built using java and will work on every phone. No more writing different versions of an app for every phone out there. Write one and it works on every phone running Android (of course the hardware has to support it).
Eric
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

wGEric wrote:From what I have seen Android looks to be very promising. It has great ideas. Just needs to be more developed and have more phones that actually run it.

I like how you aren't tied to certain applications. If I don't like the default dialer I can write my own or use a different one. Stuff like that I think is awesome.

Also apps are built using java and will work on every phone. No more writing different versions of an app for every phone out there. Write one and it works on every phone running Android (of course the hardware has to support it).
http://www.hope.com.tw/News/ShowNews.as ... &F=Canalys
according to this (sorry it's in chinese)
dated back in 2005, the Symbian market at 63%, MS Mobile at 15%, Palm Source at 9%, and the rest 13% is split among a various mobile system including those linux distribution.

The fact that MS Mobile is at a constant rate of growing. Even at 23, 26% of the market, MS made 0.337 billion USD in 2005. This article, predicted that by 2010, Symbian would drop from 51% (the end of 2005) to 22% (year of 2010).

i am sure MS is now making almost, or even twice as much as that in 2005.

This is amazing. Like we all talked about Palm, PDA, but many of us only learn about MS Mobile. Palm Linux has been around for quite a long time :)
But it seems like Linux Mobile is still not as popular, or as hot as those Desktop / Server edition. I am stuck at making this thread more interesting too... LOL
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Mobile version of linux are still fairly new. G1 is the only phone I know of that comes with Android installed. I can't think of any other phones off the top of my head that come with a mobile version of linux installed on them.
Eric
Xboxsosmart

Post by Xboxsosmart »

Add this to your choices:
iPhone 3G
It's awesome. :)

I have always supported linux, but never really used it. Honestly, I could never picture a phone running the linux kernal!
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

I doubt anybody would spend time to load up the linux mobile OS onto their mobile phone because it comes with MS Mobile and they calm : it is bad..
I think Mobile Market is still very different from PC market... I don't think the cost will be lower....
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

There are phones already running Android, with plenty more on the way.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
angourakis

Post by angourakis »

As some friends said above, Linux into the mobiles is not a new thing... we have examples like Motorola A1200i & Nokia N800 and N810.

I don't think Linux mature for now... and mature I mean the manufacturers don't spend more time bringing the system more attractive to the end users, not just in the visual aspect but the functions too...

I'm a owner from a N73 that runs Symbian S60 9.1.
I'm very glad and satisfied with the mobile and the system. Apps we have a lot and Nokia we can see clearly investing to innovate each more the products as all (a good example is the nokia beta labs).

At least in our market (Brazil), the best choice is a smartphone with Symbian and I beliave it's not so different at USA.
Nokia N85 is a great substitute for the Nokia N96 and even N95.. in my toughts...

Well, good luck!

Hugs
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

There's also Ubuntu mobile, which runs on GNOME Hildon. Not so much for mobile phones as it is for smartphones etc, but it's good to see that open source is really starting to make inroads to new markets
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

Anon wrote:There's also Ubuntu mobile, which runs on GNOME Hildon. Not so much for mobile phones as it is for smartphones etc, but it's good to see that open source is really starting to make inroads to new markets
I thought it was for netbook
driedfruit

Post by driedfruit »

Android is based on linux kernel, but can we call it a true linux?

It surprises me nobody mentioned Nokia N810 series, they run something you could actually call "linux mobile".. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo_(operating_system)
iceweb
I am too lazy to register

Post by iceweb »

that nice to know that linux has mobile operating system. in some case i like linux much better. i feel there more security when i use linux. its mobile capacity will not degrade its reputation on having good security.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

jwxie wrote:
Anon wrote:There's also Ubuntu mobile, which runs on GNOME Hildon. Not so much for mobile phones as it is for smartphones etc, but it's good to see that open source is really starting to make inroads to new markets
I thought it was for netbook
That's Ubuntu Netbook Remix ;)

Return to “General Discussion”