my best computer games ever !!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Re: my best computer games ever !!

Post by darcie »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Starcraft <----- still, after all these years, L O V E this game.
Ha, my 6 year old just got into playing that with her uncle. :D
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

darcie wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:Starcraft <----- still, after all these years, L O V E this game.
Ha, my 6 year old just got into playing that with her uncle. :D
:oops:

I didn't even know they still made it. There is supposed to be a new one released by Blizzard, Vivendi, whatever they call themselves these days, and there was also supposed to be a game for the 360 based on it ("Starcraft Ghost" or something like that). The game for the 360 went by the wayside and the "new" version has been "in the works" for the past decade or so.

I am really old. :cry:
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

Tom wrote:
ivantoar wrote:L4D in hell of a new concept of a FPS game. I never see a better coop game before.
That's true, it has revolutionized the cooperative gaming experience. One thing I really enjoy about Left 4 Dead is that, if you're playing with friends, it feels like you are really going through an apocalyptic situation together, and you are relying on each other to keep one another safe from harm and to work as a team to make it to the rescue point. As the Left 4 Dead slogan says: "It's the zombie apocalypse. Bring friends." (which I thought was a very crafty and relevant slogan for the game). It shows how important teamwork is to survive in this game.

This game could even be used to promote synergy in workplaces worldwide. :P
Are you implying that companies should invest in buying games in bulk for their employees? Sounds crazy enough to work.

It is just such a shame that steam decreases work productivity. :(
My poor website has been not worked on for a while...
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

SyntaxError90 wrote:Are you implying that companies should invest in buying games in bulk for their employees? Sounds crazy enough to work.
It's called solitare and spider solitare :lol:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
damsprivate

Post by damsprivate »

@above :mrgreen:

sims3 , when with my campus friend :lol: , just that , when within my office , yes :geek: ( is that a game ? , yes it is :mrgreen: )
phpDummie

Post by phpDummie »

Well, I am surprised nobody yet mentioned my faves.

Original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, yes for DOS.
And the SSI games Allied and Panzer General. I still keep an old Mac just to play them.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

How many of you have actually tried playing your old favourite games lately? A year ago I would have said that I still have a warm place in my heart for the original Command and Conquer, because I played it so much when it first came out. But rose-coloured memories are often better than the real thing. When I finally got the original C&C running again, I realized that it's ... well ... lame.

Don't get me wrong, it was a big deal for its time, but it's 2009 now, and nostalgia aside, it's a terribly lame game compared to newer RTS games or its own sequels. Same goes for Master of Orion 2, which I used to think was so great. It reminds me of those old movies from the 1950s and 1960s which are considered "classics", but which, if something with that kind of writing and acting and direction came out today, would get lambasted relentlessly.

There are some older games which still hold up well. Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour still holds up well, in part because so many RTS games have gone the micro-managing "let's see who can win the clickfest" route at the behest of people who call themselves "hardcore gamers". Also, I still play Unreal Tournament 2004, which still gives us most of the gameplay of UT3 but with the advantage of working on crappy hardware (by today's standards). Another set of games which holds up well IMO is the Total War series: I can still enjoy a game of Rome: Total War, Barbarian Invasion, or Medieval 2: Total War, in part because of the many amazing user mods that have been released for them. The Third Age mod for M2TW, in particular, must be seen to be believed. It's a "Lord of the Rings" total conversion mod, and it's just amazing.

The PC modding community can often be instrumental in keeping old games alive.
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

Darth Wong wrote:How many of you have actually tried playing your old favourite games lately? A year ago I would have said that I still have a warm place in my heart for the original Command and Conquer, because I played it so much when it first came out. But rose-coloured memories are often better than the real thing. When I finally got the original C&C running again, I realized that it's ... well ... lame.
TBH I still play the old dos games... Just cos they are simple to play.. easy to start etc.. I do this cos well atm I just dont have time nor money nor interest in to get playing again the new games.. I just wanna quickly start a game and have some fun and not have to worry about what kit I need to choose.. Dobn't get me wrong.. From time to time I still play the already old games like BF2 etc... but that just cos I like them..
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Darth Wong wrote:How many of you have actually tried playing your old favourite games lately?
I actually managed to get a copy of the win95 version of Magic Pockets. It's sitting on my desktop and I play it if i'm bored in Uni :lol:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

Darth Wong wrote:How many of you have actually tried playing your old favourite games lately?
Half-Life was a revolutionary title in the FPS world. It was released in 1998, and I still enjoy replaying it every year or so. Although it's over 10 years old and the graphics lack a lot to be desired, I'll always have a soft spot for this game, and for the Black Mesa Research Facility, which was quite an awesome setting for this FPS.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

lefty74 wrote:ET - Wolfenstein. played it for years... still do occasionally :) never liked anything afterwards, probably never will :P
Ditto. I like CoD, but I keep coming back to ET. Still play it often.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
glitzyglamgirl

Post by glitzyglamgirl »

I'm replaying Neverwinter Nights 2 again for about the 5th time :)

My all time faves are;

Baldurs Gate 1 with expansions
Baldurs Gate 2 with expansions
Neverwinter Nights with expansions
Neverwinter Nights 2 with expansions.

See a pattern lol

I'm sure my next favourite will be Dragon Age Origins, out next month. Really exited about it!
ashiyanayoga

Post by ashiyanayoga »

I love to play freecell, mario & some scoreing game

Ashu
[Removed URL]
Last edited by Tom on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary link to poster's website.
sever3d
I am too lazy to register

Post by sever3d »

Red Alert and StarCraft (Brood War) R.U.L.E.Z. !
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, and Portal :D

Return to “General Discussion”