Stocks.. Market..

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. GD specific forum rules apply.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a "bonus" forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. While we would like to encourage all types of discussions, please note that GD is not an "Anything-goes"-forum. All site rules & GD specific ones apply. PS: Google is your friend.

Stocks.. Market..

Postby Green Light » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 am

So now that my parents sold are 17 year business. (Pizza & Italian food down here, North Miami Beach)
I have a bit extra cash that I earned working there for the past 3 years.
I'm thinking about removing my investment in a mutual fund (VKQ) because it's seems to be going nowhere and fast.

My brother went out today to Wamu and created an online banking account for me.. So I was thinking that I could invest a hundred dollars just to play around with.. As an investment.
Now that hard part, since this will be my first investment.. I was wondering what I should invest in..
At first I was thinking technologies.. I still am.. but un-sure what..
I wanted to invest in Newegg.com but sadly they are not open to the public. :P
So what stocks are you invested if any.. And what stock would you be likely to invest in if you were to invest?
------- ;)
Green Light
Registered User
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Phil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 am

You'd be much better off hiring a financial advisor if you are seriously interested in investing. That being said, numerous websites give decent investing tips. Google for them.

Furthermore, $100 is really not a lot to invest. You're highly unlikely to make/lose much of anything with it.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
User avatar
Phil
Former Team Member
 
Posts: 10402
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Green Light » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 am

iWisdom wrote:You'd be much better off hiring a financial advisor if you are seriously interested in investing. That being said, numerous websites give decent investing tips. Google for them.

Furthermore, $100 is really not a lot to invest. You're highly unlikely to make/lose much of anything with it.


I'm not even old enough to be investing so hiring an advisor is not my route..
$100 is for pretty much testing (playing around with)
Then I would try 500-1000 and see what I can do within 6 months period.

Google Finace is pretty good on giving me the details.. but I guess I could take my brother advice on Lionsgate and wait till I think a good movie will come out from them.
But I'm really interested in investing in small companies who are planning big and scoring on that.. Which may not likely to happen. :lol:
Green Light
Registered User
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby wGEric » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Check out a couple different companies. $100 isn't going to go very far. You probably won't learn anything from just $100. Also investing in the stock market isn't a short term thing. It could take years for your $100 to actually drop or rise.

Google
Apple
Walmart
Bestbuy
Verizon
Dell
Sony Corp
Cisco
Lionsgate
Disney
Dreamworks
Omniture
Eric
User avatar
wGEric
Former Team Member
 
Posts: 8803
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Friday
Name: Eric Faerber

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Kim_Possible » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Green Light wrote:So now that my parents sold are 17 year business. (Pizza & Italian food down here, North Miami Beach)
I have a bit extra cash that I earned working there for the past 3 years.
I'm thinking about removing my investment in a mutual fund (VKQ) because it's seems to be going nowhere and fast.

My brother went out today to Wamu and created an online banking account for me.. So I was thinking that I could invest a hundred dollars just to play around with.. As an investment.
Now that hard part, since this will be my first investment.. I was wondering what I should invest in..
At first I was thinking technologies.. I still am.. but un-sure what..
I wanted to invest in Newegg.com but sadly they are not open to the public. :P
So what stocks are you invested if any.. And what stock would you be likely to invest in if you were to invest?
------- ;)

I am invested in highly diversified index funds (and super funds). They have taken a beating over the last few years, but I'm not in it to watch it go up and down every day. I'm in it for the next 40ish years. The value of my shares are down now, because the market is down, but that also means that my shares in the fund are cheaper so my constant dollars buy more. When the market goes up so will my investment. It's not very exciting or sexy, but it is a tried and true method. Just makes sure that as you approach retirement that you start to limit your exposure. You certainly don't want to be fully invested in the market a few years before retirement . . . in case the market makes another nose dive (and it does that fairly regularly).
Kim_Possible
Registered User
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Green Light » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:32 am

wGEric wrote:Check out a couple different companies. $100 isn't going to go very far. You probably won't learn anything from just $100. Also investing in the stock market isn't a short term thing. It could take years for your $100 to actually drop or rise.

Google
Apple
Walmart
Bestbuy
Verizon
Dell
Sony Corp
Cisco
Lionsgate
Disney
Dreamworks
Omniture

Yeah Google is a great stock.. but the quotes @ around 300+ I would like to get a handful of those but I won't be investing in that till I have a 'nice' income.
I could try out 500 bucks.. right now my parents are in some scheme which uses forex.. and how it works is they deposit money into the company and the company will use the money and give back up to 20% money back per month.. bonuses for people who are under us.
Right now it is looking bad because the money is frozen b/c U.S. officials have locked the banks that the money was used for. Oh well. :lol:

BTW, what program/company do you use to even invest in a stock? I used to play around with some forex program.. my brother made a few thousands but it's a gamble and he didn't have the time to buy/sell at the right times.. Even if he set 'bots' ..
Green Light
Registered User
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby DavidIQ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:05 am

You can invest your $100 in the David IQ fund (PayPal logo) even though a return on investment is not always guaranteed.
Apply to become a Jr. MOD Validator | My mods | Need a mod Installed/created or a template adaptation?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
User avatar
DavidIQ
MOD Team Leader
MOD Team Leader
 
Posts: 14677
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL
Name: David Colón

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Green Light » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:13 am

DavidIQ wrote:You can invest your $100 in the David IQ fund (PayPal logo) even though a return on investment is not always guaranteed.

Ahh sure. I actually thought of that, and needed a partner let me get my paypal logo.. and we can do ths;

i invest 100 bucks in your paypal and you invest 110 bucks in my paypal every month?
Green Light
Registered User
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby DavidIQ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Sounds good to me...as long as the 100 bucks that goes into my account is in Euros and the 110 I put in yours is in Mexican Pesos. :lol:
Apply to become a Jr. MOD Validator | My mods | Need a mod Installed/created or a template adaptation?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
User avatar
DavidIQ
MOD Team Leader
MOD Team Leader
 
Posts: 14677
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL
Name: David Colón

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby symbolicpixel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Awwe, come on! Don't rip off the guy! :lol:
User avatar
symbolicpixel
Registered User
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: central Georgia (mac-town/war-town), USA

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Green Light » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:35 pm

DavidIQ wrote:Sounds good to me...as long as the 100 bucks that goes into my account is in Euros and the 110 I put in yours is in Mexican Pesos. :lol:

:lol: I don't think so :P
---
As for investing in stocks..
ING direct ShareBuilder seems like a good place to go for investing in shares..
I believe I will go ahead and invest in about 2 shares of Google stock and 100 bucks in a penny stock.
For the longterm.
Though I'm not sure what penny stock to choose..
Any of you in a penny stock?
Green Light
Registered User
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby suitlocal » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:16 am

BTW, what program/company do you use to even invest in a stock?

E-Trade maybe?

Though I'm not sure what penny stock to choose..
Any of you in a penny stock?

i think all penny stocks are in the Pink Sheets? on Pink Sheets, wikipedia says the following:

Buying Pink Sheets shares is supposed to be difficult. Broker-dealers are enjoined to weed-out unsophisticated investors who may get an e-mail or word-of-mouth tip about a small stock. Many Pink Sheets stocks may only be registered for sale in one state so that the only way to purchase the stock is to make a DRIP/business/unsolicited/accredited or other sophisticated form of investment. Many registered representatives do not even know how or if they can sell them.

also, on OTC Bulletin Board:

The SEC issues stern warnings to investors to beware of common fraud and manipulation schemes. As such, most companies choose to list on more established exchanges such as the AMEX, NYSE, or NASDAQ once eligible.

so do not do penny stocks.

i recommend you just invest in yourself. that $100.00 will go farther towards a new car than it will in the stock market.
suitlocal
Registered User
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:18 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Kim_Possible » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 am

If you are only interested in trading in funds, I would recommend using one of the discount brokers (like Fidelity or Vanguard).
Kim_Possible
Registered User
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby tank71 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Trading stocks seems fun and all, but its important to remember that a lot of professionals are not even making money right now.

If anything you should keep investing in a mutual fund. Yes, mutual funds are "boring" however they are long-term. The market will go back up and it will go back down. Well, there is almost no "good" time to start uneducated investing, a down time (now) probably isn't the time.

If your like me, you probably will not take any of this advice. Take a hundred dollars and play around with it. Like others have said it probably will not go up or down very fast. If you manage to see a 5% gain over 1 month, 5 dollars. If you lose most of it, a few other people became a few dollars richer.
tank71
Registered User
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: Stocks.. Market..

Postby Kim_Possible » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:12 pm

And if you try "profit taking" on that 5% in a month, all of your profit is going to be eaten up by short-term capital gains taxes (assuming you aren't trading within a sheltered account, of course). :D
Kim_Possible
Registered User
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: manzoor and 18 guests