Oracle buys Sun!!!!!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
stylishkishore

Oracle buys Sun!!!!!

Post by stylishkishore » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:05 pm

The Sensational news..that Oracle buys Sun Microsystems..

What is your openion about it..

Share all of your openions here..

Are you thinking the combination will make Internet more efficient with their products..??

:) :) :) :)

Smalls1652

Re: Oracle buys Sun!!!!!

Post by Smalls1652 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:17 pm

My "openion", I don't have one. Keep OOo free and I'll be happy. :P

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:59 pm

This isn't cool. Oracle owns a competing product to MySQL. A competing product that costs a lot of money.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

dsavi

Post by dsavi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm

I had thought that IBM was going to buy Sun. What stopped them I do not know.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:This isn't cool. Oracle owns a competing product to MySQL. A competing product that costs a lot of money.
This would have been true if IBM had made the purchase as well with their DB2 product.

And MySQL can't really die, at least as a community product. So Oracle's purchase doesn't really bother me.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 pm

dsavi wrote:I had thought that IBM was going to buy Sun. What stopped them I do not know.
Because IBM didn't offer Sun enough. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/06 ... breakdown/
Chris SmithGitHub

dsavi

Post by dsavi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 pm

^ I just got this whiff of the Microsoft - Yahoo! deal right now. Except Sun wasn't having problems, was it?

Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:13 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:This isn't cool. Oracle owns a competing product to MySQL. A competing product that costs a lot of money.
Oracle owns the MySQL innoDB database type, which makes it a pain for businesses because they can only use MyISAM (MyISAM is completely owned by MySQL and therefore free) unless they want to shovel out the megabucks for either Oracle or the MySQL InnoDB.
One good reason why I can't wait till MySQL finishes MySQL 6 (it will have the features of InnoDB, such as rollback/commit etc)
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)

stylishkishore

Post by stylishkishore » Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Handyman` wrote:
Oracle owns the MySQL innoDB database type, which makes it a pain for businesses because they can only use MyISAM (MyISAM is completely owned by MySQL and therefore free) unless they want to shovel out the megabucks for either Oracle or the MySQL InnoDB.
One good reason why I can't wait till MySQL finishes MySQL 6 (it will have the features of InnoDB, such as rollback/commit etc)
yah..it is a good movement..in the development of Transaction Control Language(TCL)..(Commit,Rollback and Save point)...
These options..are very very usefull in large transactions..
I too happy ...and waiting for My SQL 6,,,,

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm not sure wether this will be good or bad.

I think that in the near future we will see wether the plans oracle has for Sun, will be a good or bad thing.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 pm

http://blogs.computerworld.com/which_sql_is_mysql
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-102416 ... 7-1_3-0-20

apparently the founder of MySQL AB, which was bought by Sun, and then by Oracle, thinks that MySQL is doomed to fail under Oracle.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

So what is the open source moral of the story, I wonder? There's nothing wrong with making money from open source ventures, so OSS-as-assets can't be a bad thing in itself. And yet, if the fundamentals of OSS are put at risk in OSS-as-assets, then we have a conflict of interest somewhere along the line.

Consider the history of phpBB: A company with a competing product offered to buy phpBB. The offer was almost certainly out of self interest. The vulnerability of phpBB-as-assets was pretty clear. In any case, the offer was declined. But it needn't have been.

So what is the conventional wisdom within the OSS community about such things? I think I know where the FSF lands in this discussion, but what about the free-as-in-freedom/OSI camp of OSS?
We should talk less, and say more.

Return to “General Discussion”