Admin Duties List

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jtryptophan

Admin Duties List

Post by jtryptophan »

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of, or make a list of, the basic duties of an administrator? What I need are some quantifiable outcomes for a legal contract.

I know it sounds strange as our duties vary from forum to forum, but if someone were to want to keep tabs on an admin in order for them to receive a monthly fee; what kind of outcomes would they want to see?
jtryptophan

Re: Admin Duties List

Post by jtryptophan »

Anyone?
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

What exactly are you asking for? Are you asking for an example of a list of guidelines for administrators to follow on a forum?
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

That is very individualize, I have seen forums that the admins play the role of just a over inflated moderator, however on a forum I admin, we do nothing along the lines of moderation. It really all depends on specific task you give to your admin and the role you place your admin in the forum.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

this are my rules as the secondary admin of one of my boards:

http://gold.io3di.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15

anything else is futile to be said. :) ;) .. your choice. Common sense rules. 8-)
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

3Di wrote:this are my rules as the secondary admin of one of my boards:

anything else is futile to be said. :) ;) .. your choice. Common sense rules. 8-)
He was looking for a list of things board administrators need to do. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

ToonArmy wrote:
3Di wrote:this are my rules as the secondary admin of one of my boards:

He was looking for a list of things board administrators need to do. ;)
I knew, by my side nothing else. As a matter of fact my poor pure memberlist does all what I want, nothing bad, though.

So, my opinion.. here. :D

edit: i see yours and OP's points now.. let me get in then. ;)
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

jtryptophan wrote:Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of, or make a list of, the basic duties of an administrator? What I need are some quantifiable outcomes for a legal contract.

I know it sounds strange as our duties vary from forum to forum, but if someone were to want to keep tabs on an admin in order for them to receive a monthly fee; what kind of outcomes would they want to see?
Okay, got the entire point. A good example could be brought from here. I mean there are some kind of ROLES here, not saying are related to outcomes though.

Perhaps someone from the Management could chime on this then.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

You sing the songs from the person who pays your bill, but...

Generally, administrator is the main overseer that looks after various aspects of the forum.
Admin keeps their forum up to date.
Admin decides what forums and categories should be created.
Admin decides what features should be added.
Admin decides the rules. Moderators enforce them.
Admin is a contact point when users have something to complain about something.

Admins responsibility is to look after the well being of the forum. Even for the expence of one or few of its users.
The old fact is that you cannot please everyone, so for example change of rules is often criticized back as being friggin Nazis and such.
Admin must see the bigger picture and quide the forum to its own direction.

Most important. Admin needs to have common sense.
Things rarely are black and white and two seemingly same scenarios for example in user handling can have two separate outcomes.

To run a forum and to decide what to do. Admin may have a team which will provide input about "what ever"
I would even recommend for building a team. Usually they are called moderators, but it depends what your forum is for and what do you need.
Understanding what the rules are and what was the purpose it was originally created for is needed.
Signature is here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Well, technically, there are no "Administrators" in phpbb. There are people that have one or more permissionsto do something in the ACP. But this can range from everything to a single minor permission. So, it is hard to define their duties unless you define their permissions.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

lurttinen wrote:Admin keeps their forum up to date.
I would also add that it is the forum Admin's job to make sure the forum is and stays properly backed up. The process can be automated, but the Admin needs to manage/store/verify/etc. the backups.
DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak »

IMO its also the admins responsibilty to make sure the mods and global mods dont get too personal in there judgment when situations that require action arises.

With about 20 warnings a month i spend alot of time checking each warning and discussing posible restrictions if the max number of warnings are reached.

But its very individual. If you describe your board more in details, members, what sort of content you have etc it would be easier to come with suggestions.

Return to “General Discussion”