Air France Jet Missing!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Xtracker!

Air France Jet Missing!

Post by Xtracker! »

Get the full story here...

Story

Video

If all 228 people were killed, it would be the deadliest commercial airline disaster since Nov. 12, 2001. Lest just hope every one is alright!
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Air France Jet Missing!

Post by 3Di »

Ten Italians MIA. :(
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

3Di wrote:Ten Italians MIA. :(
And what about the other 218 on the plane? They are ALL important, no matter American, Italian, German, French, or Oompa-Loompa.

Hopefully they find them soon.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

The appearance of debris in the water consistent with the flight path isn't encouraging. This must be a difficult time for the families. Long days and nights for them right now.
We should talk less, and say more.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

I was out most of the weekend, so I only just heard about this between last night and today. My thoughts are with the families :(
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

UPDATE: Some of the plane debris has been found over the Atlantic Ocean, get the full video here...

Video
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Brainy wrote:
And what about the other 218 on the plane? They are ALL important, no matter American, Italian, German, French, or Oompa-Loompa.

I expressed my position from a Nationalist view, certainty that the thought goes to all.

There is not need of to underline it.
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

3Di wrote:
Brainy wrote:

I expressed my position from a Nationalist view, certainty that the thought goes to all.

There is not need of to underline it.
Do not, put words in my mouth. There are more enlightened people whom do not subscribe to trans 19th to 20th century Nationalist views (last refuge of a scoundrel). People are people, to draw lines by virtue of place of birth, makes you the "frog in a well".

Back n topic, since the aircraft looks like it would have undergone a high altitude explosive decompression, let's hope the operation can recover all the bodies, since every one of these, regardless of "Nationality", was someone's father/mother/brother/sister/son/daughter. Plus with the "six degrees of freedom", everyone would have known everyone on said flight through no more than 4 friend-of-friends. Think about that for a moment.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

@ SHS': Useless to lengthen ourselves in discussions IMHO out of place. :P & 8-)

About the Topic then:

The accident feeds some suspect, it seems, the aircraft was planned absolutely to save itself in case of lightning bolts and was able to travel also with an alone engine, of the two.

Hmm..
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

I hadn't heard that there was anything suspect about the disaster. I'm not an aircraft expert, but it would seem possible, at least, that any aircraft suffering from multiple electrical system malfunctions at high altitude in bad weather is at risk. It's not clear to me why the malfunctions themselves couldn't be caused by one or more lightening strikes (which could cause physical damage to the aircraft as well?), so I guess I'm reluctant to credit any suspicions of foul play without better supporting facts.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

SamG wrote:I hadn't heard that there was anything suspect about the disaster. I'm not an aircraft expert, but it would seem possible, at least, that any aircraft suffering from multiple electrical system malfunctions at high altitude in bad weather is at risk. It's not clear to me why the malfunctions themselves couldn't be caused by one or more lightening strikes (which could cause physical damage to the aircraft as well?), so I guess I'm reluctant to credit any suspicions of foul play without better supporting facts.
It's possible for a modern plane to loose all electric power and still be flyable even with completely digital fly-by-wire systems using the velocity of the plane and the emergency ram air turbine power is generated to provide control. The fly-by-wire systems are also multi redundant, however according to Wikipedia and sources the plane suffered multiple system failures including loss of backup systems. Which isn't going to end well. The last message transmitted possibly indicated cabin depressurisation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447
Chris SmithGitHub
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Such airplane can fly without pilots and with only one engine, has 5 Computers on-board.

It's 'lightening strikes free'.

The airplane is equipped with "black boxes Argos" that can emit signals for different days and to agree the finding, hopefully.

Numerous means provided of technology sophisticated, between which there are ships (two Cargo, four warships), and some other airplane .. are there actually.

Also the Pentagon has been involved here by request.

I know there is nothing to do though, unfortunately.. this is not a B-movie like 'Lost'. :?
SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG »

ToonArmy wrote:... the plane suffered multiple system failures ...
That's what I was driving at. The "totally unprecedented situation" comment captured in the wiki article was in the press early on. I probably should not have used the term "electrical systems."

So the question is what could cause multiple system failures.
3Di wrote:It's 'lightening strikes free'.
"Aviation experts said the risk the plane was brought down by lightning was slim," according to the Orange County Register. That's fine. I think my point is that getting suspicious at this point involves more assumptions than I'm willing to make. I think it better at this point, out of respect for those suffering if for no other reason, to avoid speculation about a suspicions. Just my opinion, of course.
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Whatever the result of the investigation into the crash, I can assure you that it will be a combination of many unfortunate incidents culminating in the result. Accidents are never cause by just one factor, there's always contributing factors.

Lightning alone doesn't bring down modern aircraft. They're designed in such a way that the bolt conducts around the skin of the aircraft and continues down to earth, leaving little to no damage (you shouldn't get holes or electrical system failures from a single bolt).

The investigation will be difficult; an aircraft impacting into water at speed will result in tiny pieces of aircraft. The depth of the water will also make recovering the black boxes difficult, but they will be recovered (despite what the French want to say).

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Update: The plane has now been confirm that it has crash over the Atlantic Ocean but still haven't been able to find the cause of this terrible accident.

Possible Causes
Electrical Malfunction
Heavy Turbulence
Cabin Pressure
Terrorist

Not Causes
Lightning

Video

Return to “General Discussion”