Air France Jet Missing!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Air France Jet Missing!

Post by SamG »

Notice how the story developed:
Consensus quickly developed that the most likely cause of the accident was a lightning strike.

But as more than one expert pointed out, if lightning alone caused planes to crash, then few people would be so foolhardy as to risk flying.

"For a plane to get hit by lightning is totally routine," said Pierre Sparaco, a member of the French Air and Space Academy.

"That is not enough to explain it. There must be a missing link. It is clearly something and something.

"Accident investigators talk always of a 'sequence of catastrophic events', and sequence is the key word," he said.

"It is not this thing or that thing that went wrong. It is this thing going wrong, leading to that thing going wrong etc etc."
Even if lightening alone cannot down a plane, the general drift of the speculation is still toward a weather-related series of failures. If those with the early view that the type of lightening at the top of the type of storm (at the aircraft's altitude) the aircraft flew into were amiss, it's pretty clear that weather is still on people's minds: "It's possible for a plane to be exposed to lightning, and at the same to be caught in an up current ..."

I'm not lobbying for lightening as the cause. I was really only questioning the "suspicion" that the aircraft wasn't at the mercy of the weather because it's lightening-proof.
We should talk less, and say more.
camm15h
Former Team Member
Name: Paul Cammish

Post by camm15h »

There are some good descriptive insights and images into it here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8082241.stm
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Xtracker! wrote:Possible Causes
[...]
Terrorist
You'll have to excuse me, but that's typical Fox news for you. If it was a terrorist group, then they've been awfully quiet about it. Normally when a terrorist group takes down an aircraft or bombs a market or whatever, they come out saying that they were the ones causing it. So far no media has reported that a group has come out claiming it as theirs. While you might think that could be a media blackout, it's very difficult/near impossible to censor all the world media over a large event. Conclusion is thus there's no terrorist link in this accident.

Having said that, I find these repeated denials that they'll find the black boxes strange. As I noted in my last post, there's been heavy crashes before where the black boxes were found, and some in even deeper waters. The depth of the water isn't the real issue, and while currents are a concern if the impact didn't destroy the black boxes, it should be sending out a recovery signal which would allow it to be found with ease.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
camm15h
Former Team Member
Name: Paul Cammish

Post by camm15h »

The search continues, apparently the debris recovered was not from flight AF447:
BBC News wrote:Debris recovered from the Atlantic by Brazilian search teams does not come from a lost Air France jet, a Brazilian air force official has said...

Investigators have suggested that speed sensors failed or iced over, causing erroneous data to be fed to onboard computers. This might have caused the plane to fly too fast or too slowly through the storm, leading it either to break apart or stall and fall out of the sky.
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

NeoThermic wrote:
You'll have to excuse me, but that's typical Fox news for you. If it was a terrorist group, then they've been awfully quiet about it. Normally when a terrorist group takes down an aircraft or bombs a market or whatever, they come out saying that they were the ones causing it. So far no media has reported that a group has come out claiming it as theirs. While you might think that could be a media blackout, it's very difficult/near impossible to censor all the world media over a large event. Conclusion is thus there's no terrorist link in this accident.

Having said that, I find these repeated denials that they'll find the black boxes strange. As I noted in my last post, there's been heavy crashes before where the black boxes were found, and some in even deeper waters. The depth of the water isn't the real issue, and while currents are a concern if the impact didn't destroy the black boxes, it should be sending out a recovery signal which would allow it to be found with ease.

NeoThermic
Good point, this may also support your theory...
Oil stains found among the debris of doomed Air France Flight A447 could prove the plane was not blown out of the sky by terrorists, Brazil's defence minister said today.
Here is another good article you may want to read...

Article
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Turns out that debris wasn't from the AF jet.

Honestly, all this speculation is pointless. We'll find out what happened when the NTSB (they've been called in as expected) releases their report, and not much before then.

RIP to the 228 on the aircraft.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
web835

Post by web835 »

RIP
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

An Atomic Submarine (from French) has been sent there, it is able to find the 'black boxes' also after their last signals, using another tecnique.
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Update: The Body of 2 men who where Air France passenger has been found...

Article

Also this article about possible mystery of flight 447...

Article

R.I.P
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Saw on CNN earlier that they are considering surrendering the black boxes to the sea, definitely not good news.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

To the end, they rest in peace. God bless them. :(
Anubis_The_Jackal

Post by Anubis_The_Jackal »

3Di wrote:It's 'lightening strikes free'.
This is why we can't have nice things. Every time a company makes the claim that something is unbreakable, Murphy's Law rears its ugly head to prove them wrong. Usually tragically. They once said of a famous ocean liner that it was 'unsinkable' too, however if it can go wrong, it will go wrong.

I believe they should keep the search going for the black boxes until at least the end of this month, it would be terrible not to know what happened and thus, for history to repeat itself. For so many system failures, and finally such a crash to take place, we need to know why it happened, how it happened, and what exactly took place to bring about these failures to begin with.
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Update: Theres are still haven't been able to find out why the plane crash and found the black box. There is a couple of photos saying that they where from flight Air France 447, that is a Hoax they are from a Lost Episode.

Photos

Video

Pause the video at 0:43 and you can see the same image like the photos.
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Final Update: It appears that the search for the data recorders is over, since their battery may be dead already. But there word that the French will spend 20 million dollars to find the data recorder by next year.The only thing that the Brazilian and French Navy has found been able to find has been the bodies and wreckage.

Read more about this crash here
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Xtracker! wrote:Final Update: It appears that the search for the data recorders is over, since their battery may be dead already. But there word that the French will spend 20 million dollars to find the data recorder by next year.The only thing that the Brazilian and French Navy has found been able to find has been the bodies and wreckage.

Read more about this crash here
To be pedantic, it's 20 million Euros (at current conversion rate, that's 29.49 million U.S. dollars). As for the batteries being dead, that won't affect the data on them, for that data is stored on solid-state devices. The dead batteries will only mean no distress beacon from the black boxes, but if the search location is correct and they search using standard Bayesian search theory, they should be able to find them.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Return to “General Discussion”