Bing Search Engine

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
taimurkazmi

Re: Bing Search Engine

Post by taimurkazmi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:05 am

Its very hard to compet google

irsmart

Post by irsmart » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:46 am

The reason I like google is because I get what I expect from a search and it is very simple... Bing just doesn't do anything for me (just like MSN search and live.com didn't)

jesterx

Post by jesterx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I am liking it so far but i till use google

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:28 pm

irsmart wrote:The reason I like google is because I get what I expect from a search and it is very simple... Bing just doesn't do anything for me (just like MSN search and live.com didn't)
You might want to read this blog entry: http://www.cuil.com/info/blog/2009/06/09/bing
It's from the CEO of Cuil.
Bing’s growth is driven by the last case: Where there is a straight-up comparison between Google and Bing. But, and this is a critical issue, the queries where people leave Google are ones where they did not find what they were looking for—things are always in the last place you look, because then you stop looking.

Therefore, a critical test is whether Bing shows results that Google doesn’t, as people have already seen the results Google showed, and they did not like those. The overlap in result sets is therefore a critical measure, with less overlap being better (for this use case).
And this one too: http://www.cuil.com/info/blog/2009/06/2 ... bing-doing
which is a follow-up.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 pm

dvduval wrote:I sure hope Microsoft can start to give google some competition, and maybe even team up with Yahoo.
Please, that is the last thing we need. Microsoft already controls a large percentage of the market, and we don't need them taking over Yahoo, too. They've already attempted a takeover/team-up with Yahoo, but Yahoo refused. More power to them for refusing Mircosoft's deal.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 pm

Tom wrote: Please, that is the last thing we need. Microsoft already controls a large percentage of the market, and we don't need them taking over Yahoo, too.
Which market? Surely not search! I think that it's Google which already controls a large percentage of that market.

ihermit

Post by ihermit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:30 pm

What's wrong with Google? I love how simple and minimal the search page is. I find "Bing" really cluttered.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't really like Bing, it still like Live, yeah it's better.. but it still not better then the competition.
Yahoo is my fave..

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Dog Cow wrote:
Tom wrote: Please, that is the last thing we need. Microsoft already controls a large percentage of the market, and we don't need them taking over Yahoo, too.
Which market? Surely not search! I think that it's Google which already controls a large percentage of that market.
the as in Microsoft owns a whole lot of everything.. Computers, gaming platforms (computers), sync (for your car and i guess other stuff) , mobile phones.. and possibly other things.. oh yeah, the zune.. hm.. and other stuff. :P

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:41 am

jfb67 wrote:I am one of those people that loves Chrome, primarily because it is the furthest thing from a resource hog I have ever used. I have had few to no problems with it at all. I'd be curious to know what some of the aversions to it are.
http://dotnetperls.com/chrome-memory ;)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

HostColor

Post by HostColor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm trying to bring up myself into bing and to start using the SE on regular basis. The reason to do this is that I like it.

craiga

Post by craiga » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 pm

It annoys me that Microsoft continually rebrand their search. Live search, bing, what next???

Focus on the product, not the branding

shadowolf

Post by shadowolf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Green Light wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
the as in Microsoft owns a whole lot of everything.. Computers, gaming platforms (computers), sync (for your car and i guess other stuff) , mobile phones.. and possibly other things.. oh yeah, the zune.. hm.. and other stuff. :P
They're also busy keeping people in their Microsoft world. 'What? Blogger? You don't need that when you've got LiveSpace! (or whatever it's called) Google Docs? No, no, no, we have MS Office for that!'

I'm not fond of Bing; the way they've set up their design doesn't really fit; a picture of ants carrying leaves doesn't jive with blue links to whatever websites that have nothing to do with ants. And what's this clutter to the right? I don't need that! Of course, there's more to search engines than style, but that's the first thing I look at.

ihermit

Post by ihermit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 pm

shadowolf wrote:
Green Light wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
They're also busy keeping people in their Microsoft world. 'What? Blogger? You don't need that when you've got LiveSpace! (or whatever it's called) Google Docs? No, no, no, we have MS Office for that!'

I'm not fond of Bing; the way they've set up their design doesn't really fit; a picture of ants carrying leaves doesn't jive with blue links to whatever websites that have nothing to do with ants. And what's this clutter to the right? I don't need that! Of course, there's more to search engines than style, but that's the first thing I look at.
+1

Return to “General Discussion”