Microsoft Getting Desperate: Bribes Users to Download IE8

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Microsoft Getting Desperate: Bribes Users to Download IE8

Post by Highway of Life »

Microsoft Marketing has been actively promoting IE8. They have gone so far as to lie to users and bribe others to get them to download and use IE8.

The first stunt comes from Microsoft doing a charity push to get users to download IE8:
Microsoft hopes charity push will spur IE downloads wrote:One piece of the effort is a charity push in which Microsoft will donate meals to a food bank for each person that downloads IE 8 via a special "Browser for the Better" Web site. Technically, the company is donating $1.15 per completed download, up to a maximum of $1 million.
The second is a $10,000 'treasure hunt' that Microsoft is putting on to encourage people to not only download IE8, but also use the browser to browse the web. Saying that the $10,000 can only be found if you are running IE8 and encouraging users to ditch Safari or 'get lost'.
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/ie8/competition/ wrote:We’ve buried $10,000 somewhere on the internet and if you're the first one to find it, you get to keep it.
But you’ll never find it using boring Safari. (So get rid of it, or get lost.)
[...]
How will you know if you’ve found it? It’s a cleverly concealed webpage that only Internet Explorer 8 can view. When you find it. it’ll be obvious that the $10,000 is yours.
Microsoft has also put up a browser comparison chart to compare the differences between IE8, Firefox, and Chrome. Claiming that IE8 has better Security, Ease of Use, and ... get this... better Web Standards than the other browsers. Try not to laugh. :)
Browser comparison chart wrote:Web Standards: It's a tie. Internet Explorer 8 passes more of the World Wide Web Consortium's CSS 2.1 test cases than any other browser, but Firefox 3 has more support for some evolving standards.

[..]

Customizability: Sure, Firefox may win in sheer number of add-ons, but many of the customizations you'd want to download for Firefox are already a part of Internet Explorer 8 – right out of the box.

[..]

Performance:Knowing the top speed of a car doesn't tell you how fast you can drive in rush hour. To actually see the difference in page loads between all three browsers, you need slow-motion video. This one’s also a tie.
What gets me is how in the world 'built-in' features are considered 'Customizability'. When I read the chart, I about fell out of my chair laughing. What ever happened to facts? I guess when you don’t have a better product in any category, you can’t give benchmarks to back up any claim, nor give any real facts, you try and entice people to use IE8 out of emotional "we're better so there!" attitude... that's just weird.

I’m all for getting users to update, especially if they are still running IE6 or IE7, and there is no question IE8 is a far superior browser to both IE6 and IE7. But the marketing department for IE has reached an all new low in class.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Re: Microsoft Getting Desperate: Bribes Users to Download IE8

Post by dellsystem »

The treasure hunt idea is kind of funny.
It's easy to circumvent the "IE 8 only" limitations - change your user agent to that of IE8 (for firefox, there's an add-on to do just that). Who knows, maybe the person who ends up finding the "secret webpage that only IE8 can view" will be using some other browser.
Also, interestingly enough, if you use IE8 in compatibility mode you'll still get the "ditch your browser" message.

But the thing is, what can Microsoft say about its new fantastically wonderful web browser to make people want to switch? This marketing gimmick may at least get some people to try it out, and if they end up not switching back, so much the better for Microsoft.

Slightly off-topic, but while we're talking about IE8 - several people have encountered a slight hitch with IE8, in that it messes up boot.ini. Weird, but true. Link to a reddit post on this (click the link on the page to see the actual story)
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

An all new low? Microsoft has always been like this.

It works unfortunately, or rather it has worked for Microsoft in the past.
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

god0fgod wrote:An all new low? Microsoft has always been like this.
That is true, but they seem to be falling even deeper as time progresses. One thing that amazes me is how they had the nerve to post such biased (and, not to mention, false) information about IE8 on their website. What especially go me was this:
Sure, Firefox may win in sheer number of add-ons, but many of the customizations you'd want to download for Firefox are already a part of Internet Explorer 8 – right out of the box.
Well, I use the Firebug add-on in Firefox all the time to enhance my web development. Does IE8 have an add-on like Firebug "right out of the box"? No, it does not. It sure would be useful in IE, though, so that I could explore the source code, mouseover each element, and then use Firebug's tools to see why my website is rendering incorrectly in IE. Although IE8 does a much better job rendering than the previous versions, there is still a lot more work to be done on Microsoft's part.

I know I got off on a bit of a tangent here, but this lying from Microsoft about IE, arguably their worst product, really upsets me. Seriously, Mircosoft, your a professional multi-billion dollar company - you screwed up, now start being responsible.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Tom wrote:Well, I use the Firebug add-on in Firefox all the time to enhance my web development. Does IE8 have an add-on like Firebug "right out of the box"? No, it does not. It sure would be useful in IE, though, so that I could explore the source code, mouseover each element, and then use Firebug's tools to see why my website is rendering incorrectly in IE.
Sorry to tell you Tom but...IE8 has this....right out of the box :lol:
And I must say it works pretty good.

Also...so what if Microsoft is doing this? IIRC Mozilla did something similar a few years back :P
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Highway of Life wrote:Microsoft Marketing has been actively promoting IE8. They have gone so far as to lie to users and bribe others to get them to download and use IE8.
It's because they know that you use a Mac. ;)
Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` »

source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/intern ... rison.aspx

And here are my thoughts on the subject:

why are they comparing themselves to Google Chrome? Chrome uses an outdated version of WebKit.
They should have been comparing to Safari which runs a more up-to-date version of WebKit.
Did they forget about Opera? I know it only has about 3% of the market, but it's still there.

#1 Security
FireFox has had this for over a year now and Safari has it now.

#2 Privacy
FireFox has it in FF 3.5 (not released yet) and Safari has it, so technically, they are correct on this one.

#3 Ease of Use
An accelerator is only required if the browser is slow to begin with.
FireFox and Safari have had search suggestions for years.

#4 Web Standards
Have you ever run into CSS stuff that FireFox and Safari were missing?
I certainly haven't, but I've run into MANY that IE (including IE8) are missing.
I've never had to build a work-around for FireFox and Safari, but I have for IE6, IE7 AND IE8.
Also, the reason they pass more 2.1 tests than any other browser is because they created more tests that their browser could pass.
That's not saying much for IE.

#5 Developer Tools
Nothing beats FireBug and Safari's Developer - javascript profiling is only a very small feature included in FireBug.

#6 Reliability
they didn't notice that FireFox has these features as well? and has been more reliable for years.

#7 Customizability
Actually, Safari (Google Chrome) is not all that customizable, but stuff coming right out of the box is not customizability.
Add-ons is true customizability - that said, IE actually _does_ have add-ons for their browser and quite a few of them at that… not as many as FireFox and the ones for FireFox are probably a lot more stable because of the length of time they have been out.
Safari has only about a handful of add-ons.

#8 Compatibility
This one is actually true. For years developers have busted their butts working on stupid hacks and workarounds to make things work good in IE and there are some developers who only work in IE and don't care what their sites look like in other browsers, so that is not a testament to IE but a testament to the fact that IE had the majority of the market share for too long and people are and have been forced to work with it.

#9 Manageability
I would like some details here, not just a "that's not nice"
FireFox and Safari have everything I would want in a browser, so I don't think it's "not nice"

#10 Performance
really? I can see a difference in page loads without requiring slow-motion video.
FireFox on my windows loads up web pages much faster than IE8
A "tie" is just a copout because they can't win that one.
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

DavidIQ wrote:
Tom wrote:Well, I use the Firebug add-on in Firefox all the time to enhance my web development. Does IE8 have an add-on like Firebug "right out of the box"? No, it does not. It sure would be useful in IE, though, so that I could explore the source code, mouseover each element, and then use Firebug's tools to see why my website is rendering incorrectly in IE.
Sorry to tell you Tom but...IE8 has this....right out of the box :lol:
And I must say it works pretty good.
Oh, it does? Hmm... maybe I should do my research before I go ranting about how much I dislike IE. :D Well, I'm glad to see that they at least have an application like Firebug, but I wish it was a bit more visible. I've looked for it before without success, but maybe that's because I wanted to be angry about IE not having the feature, so I tried not to find it on purpose. ;)

Well, I did find it and it works quite well, but it's not the same to me as Firebug. I'm sorry, I just dislike IE very much.
DavidIQ wrote:Also...so what if Microsoft is doing this? IIRC Mozilla did something similar a few years back :P
True, but Microsoft is a huge company. Many people look to them to tell the truth.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I find it funny how they say you need a slow motion video. What does that have to do with how fast a page loads? All you need to know is how long it takes and not how it looks loading in slow motion.
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

:lol:

That browser comparison chart was the biggest joke I've seen in ages. How is IE8 reliable, managable, secure, easy to use, and most of all, how can Microsoft say that it follows web standards?

That is honestly the biggest joke I've seen in ages, I don't know how they could make something like that just to know that it's going to be ripped to pieces by other sites.

onehundredandtwo.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Microsoft have a point in the 'manageability' column, IE is a lot easier to manage in a large enterprise through group policy.
Chris SmithGitHub
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

ToonArmy wrote:Microsoft have a point in the 'manageability' column, IE is a lot easier to manage in a large enterprise through group policy.
Yes, but only because it is so tied in to the OS.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Techie-Micheal wrote:Yes, but only because it is so tied in to the OS.
No it isn't. At least not anymore. IE8 and Vista can co-exist without needing each other and even more so in Windows 7. This is a reason why the EU is able to get an IE-less version of Windows 7. A better argument would have been that it's like that because the OS is directly controlled by the maker of the browser.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:Microsoft have a point in the 'manageability' column, IE is a lot easier to manage in a large enterprise through group policy.
Yes, but only because it is so tied in to the OS.
That it maybe but it doesn't make it any less of a valid point, Firefox has had bug on the subject for sometime.
Chris SmithGitHub
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

Kudos to digg I've found the version MS meant to publish: http://kilianvalkhof.com/ie8fun/ :mrgreen:
Chris SmithGitHub

Return to “General Discussion”