Please advise for a good video converter

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Please advise for a good video converter

Post by MGadAllah »

Hi

I have a lot of .wmv video files that I would like to upload to my website, according to my minimum settings I have a 1 hours = 102 MB

This is a large video size for me and I would like to convert it to something like .ra or .ram or .flv or any other extension, so this way I can have a small size and be able to upload it

Please advise for the best or suitable video converter I can use as there are too many to pick any from

Thanks
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Please advise for a good video converter

Post by EXreaction »

Super is pretty good, although it has one of the worst GUI's and worst usability out of any application I can remember.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Video file size is dependent on the (bitrate X length) of the video and WMV is one of the best at producing small video files and maintaining quality. For example here's a video encoded using a custom profile that is only 70kbps, you can almost stream it with 56k dial up:

http://www.40lbhead.com/headfiles/album ... ndt_du.wmv

You may notice that it's a little choppy. The choppiness is because the framerate was dropped to 15 which allows for more bitrate per frame. We have choppiness but less macroblocking, pick your poison but I'll take choppiness over unviewable anytime. I'm also using mono audio at 20kbps, WMA is probably the best codec for really low bitrate audio. ;)

Switching to a different codec isn't going help you achieve a smaller file. The real issue is compatability. The codec you select should be based on what you want to achieve. For direct links WMV is hands down winner as it can be viewed by the most people. The only codec more dominant than WMV is MPEG1 but that requires 4X the bitrate (or file size) for comparable quality. For embedding in a page flash using .flv or silverlight using .wmv.

For more options encoding to WMV you can download Windows Media Encoder for free from MS's site.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks a lot my friend :D.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

WMV9 Advanced Profile (WVC1) uses VC-1
Latest Quicktime MOV format uses h.264, can also be used in an MPEG-4 AVC container.
Youtube uses h.263 in a flv container which isn't as good as the two above high-definition formats.

Personally I think h.264 delivers superior quality low-bit-rate video compared with VC-1.
Systems Engineering
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

All my videos are a .wmv format, with 320x240 size.
What is the best option for such a thing?

Thanks
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is no "best", you need to pick what is best for your needs and the needs of your users. If you're trying to deliver high quality low bandwidth files via a direct link to the widest general audience WMV really has no competition simply because it can be played on so many machines and can produce very high quality material at small file sizes. On the other hand if you own a site where Apple users are predominant WMV is probably not going to make you any friends and certainly wouldn't be a good choice for that site. :lol:

Download MS Media encoder and start experimenting with the encoder settings.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

thecoalman wrote:On the other hand if you own a site where Apple users are predominant WMV is probably not going to make you any friends and certainly wouldn't be a good choice for that site. :lol:
Thanks for pointing out this point for me.
I think I should think about linux, Windows, Mac. users, in this case I do not know what could be the format to suite them all to convert into from .wmv
Please advise.
Thanks
Mohamed :)
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

thecoalman wrote:I think I should think about linux, Windows, Mac. users, in this case I do not know what could be the format to suite them all to convert into from .wmv
The problem is there is none. The only codec that be called universal is MPEG1 but that requires 4 to 5 times the file size as WMV (or other modern codecs) for similar quality.

That's why youtube and other sites use flash/.flv so they can get past the cross platform and cross browser issues. Trouble there is few people have a standalone .flv player so direct download of the file is not an option.

Return to “General Discussion”