TPI - Forum ratio

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mklcst

TPI - Forum ratio

Post by mklcst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I saw a lot of community as web developer and I use a ratio to identify the type of community and the "liquidity" of discussions.
It's very simple: topics/posts
I analyzed the best community with a big forums and I discovered it out that a good community have ratio equal to 0.04-0.05 (4-5%).
If you take it under control you will see that higher is this ratio and lower will be the iteration between users, major than 15% could be a bad situation in my opinion.

Let me know your opinion!

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: TPI - Forum ratio

Post by ChrisRLG » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't think a single type of 'statistic' is very useful to 'grade' forums.

They would depend on what the forum is about as to how that statistic could be interpreted.

Take a discussion type forum, and the higher the number of posts per member the better.

Take a help site where 'hopefully' the user NEVER has to return and you would want a ratio the opposite - as small a average of posts per member, with just the 'helpers' have high post counts.

As an accountant I can tell you, that statistics can be made to tell you anything you want - just don't expect them to help you decide if the result is what you require in a given situation.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Return to “General Discussion”