PC repairmen aren't to be trusted (news report)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Linda Carter

PC repairmen aren't to be trusted (news report)

Post by Linda Carter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:04 am

Sure, it seems like a no-brainer, but when Sky News in the UK dropped a brand new laptop off at several repair shops in London (equipped with a key logger and sneaky video recording software) they caught employees accessing personal data, hacking accounts for banking and social networking sites, and charging for unnecessary work. Who would've thunk it, right?

A Sky News investigation has found some computer repair shops are illegally accessing personal data from customers' hard drives, and even trying to hack into their bank accounts. Sky's Mark White has this exclusive report

Source - Link (with video)

That's why I would never let non-encrypted partitions filled with personal data to be targeted by these people... unless of course the HDD dies tomorrow and I need to recover the data... :!:

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Re: PC repairmen aren't to be trusted (news report)

Post by Sam » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 am

That's a real scary thought, god knows how many people they have scammed/invaded. The sad thing is, it would be a hard thing to trace, so there is possibility no one will ever know. I don't know how well of a representation this is of computer repair services all over the world, but leaving your computer alone with someone that long certainly leaves some room for shady things to go on. :?

I personally, however am actually quite good with computer hardware (Computer Engineering Major in college), I know how to efficiently diagnose a problem a fix it, therefore I have had no need for computer repair services.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Not all computer technicians are like this. Generalizing isn't cool. Yes, it is sad that this happens, but not every technician in every repair shop in every single city in the world is going to do this. Even if I am the only one who didn't, it isn't going to be every single technician.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:39 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:Even if I am the only one who didn't ...
Emphasis mine. :mrgreen:

But seriously (I'm willing to try), if we're going to be fair about this, I suppose it follows from several high profile cases of news people plagiarizing and fabricating their stories that news people aren't to be trusted, either.
We should talk less, and say more.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:55 am

Isn't it really fair to say that people in general aren't to be trusted? It really doesn't matter whether or not you are a pc tech or a maid or in any line of work where you are in a position to invade someone's privacy. Sure its sort of sad but it is a fact of life. If humans were generally trustworthy we would not need to lock our homes, our cars or secure any of our possessions and personal information. You just need to protect yourself the best you can in every situation. Luckily for me I never need to call tech support. :D

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:36 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:Not all computer technicians are like this. Generalizing isn't cool. Yes, it is sad that this happens, but not every technician in every repair shop in every single city in the world is going to do this. Even if I am the only one who didn't, it isn't going to be every single technician.
Same here Micheal. As a matter of fact, the local repair shop I worked for had cameras setup that watched every little move you make, and the pictures were clear enough that if you opened a word processing software and typed something, it could be read on the screen. Knock on wood, nobody in the company was ever accused of shady work (as it never happened), but I must say it doesn't surprise me that this goes on in some places.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:48 am

Some people are just scumbags. Some mechanics do it, some lawyers do it, some plumbers do it, and many other professions do it so I'm not surprised that some PC technicians do this as well. Of course generalizing and saying that ALL professionals in those fields are dubious is not fair especially since I myself am a PC tech. You just have to be careful with ANY sort of work people do for you.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 am

narqelion wrote:Isn't it really fair to say that people in general aren't to be trusted?
Yes.
It really doesn't matter whether or not you are a pc tech or a maid or in any line of work where you are in a position to invade someone's privacy. Sure its sort of sad but it is a fact of life. If humans were generally trustworthy we would not need to lock our homes, our cars or secure any of our possessions and personal information. You just need to protect yourself the best you can in every situation. Luckily for me I never need to call tech support. :D
And it seems you agree, since you obviously don't think you should trust strangers either.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:30 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:Not all computer technicians are like this. Generalizing isn't cool. Yes, it is sad that this happens, but not every technician in every repair shop in every single city in the world is going to do this. Even if I am the only one who didn't, it isn't going to be every single technician.
There are auto mechanics out there who are scrupulous as well, and would refrain from snooping even if you left your tax returns and credit cards on the passenger seat. All the same, I wouldn't leave such information there :)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Darth Wong wrote:
There are auto mechanics out there who are scrupulous as well, and would refrain from snooping even if you left your tax returns and credit cards on the passenger seat. All the same, I wouldn't leave such information there :)
Where did I say anything about tax returns and credit cards? :P

No, I wouldn't leave such information out there either.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Darth Wong wrote: There are auto mechanics out there who are scrupulous as well,
The thing with auto mechanics is that supposedly they will fix what you had wanted, but will break another part on your car so you keep coming back to them. PC repairmen could do the same.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:47 pm

I, personally, would never trust my PC in a stranger's possession, whether they be "professional" or not. That is why I fix my computers myself. I'd rather spend less money, get the parts I want, and know exactly what has been done to my PC, rather than ship it out to some repair store, cross my fingers, and hope for the best. Most repair jobs aren't major electrical problems, anyway (at least not for me), so I have no problem handling them myself.

Not all repairman have malicious intentions of course, but I don't trust anyone but myself and a few others with my PCs.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

shadowolf

Post by shadowolf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:22 pm

I'd rather fix my computer or send it to a computer-savvy relative than visit a PC repairman. Usually, whatever happens to my computer is one of those Windows bugs, and Windows update only seems to create more problems. These things haven't happened to me yet...

If there comes a situation when I absolutely can't do anything else but visit the repairman, I'd move what little personal info I have onto my flash drive and see what happens to the computer. Of course, it would be great to actually get to know the person who's repairing the PC so that I can tell whether the repairman's an honest person.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Tom wrote:I, personally, would never trust my PC in a stranger's possession, whether they be "professional" or not. That is why I fix my computers myself. I'd rather spend less money, get the parts I want, and know exactly what has been done to my PC, rather than ship it out to some repair store, cross my fingers, and hope for the best. Most repair jobs aren't major electrical problems, anyway (at least not for me), so I have no problem handling them myself.

Not all repairman have malicious intentions of course, but I don't trust anyone but myself and a few others with my PCs.
I'm the exact same, but unfortunately not everyone these days is PC literate. Most of my family and friends have no clue about computers, other than switching on, checking email and opening word. I'm kind of the "official" PC repair guy for them :mrgreen:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

iamwanted

Post by iamwanted » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for the tip! Thank god my big brother is can fix computers for me!

Return to “General Discussion”