Apple laptops vs. PC laptops?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Apple laptops vs. PC laptops?

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:06 am

Highway of Life wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote: Thanks. :) I didn't realize they had some of that stuff. However, they don't seem to have the mod_wsgi module, which is the Python stuff I need.
Looks like mod_wsgi can be compiled from source code against the standard versions of Python and Apache supplied with MacOS X. The GNU C compiler from the MacOS X Developer Toolkit bundle is required. - You should download the Developer Tools regardless, it has a load of awesome stuff, about 2 Gigs worth. :)
You can also compile mod_wsgi with the Python from MacPorts, but it’s more difficult. - v2.0 of mod_wsgi should be pretty easy to get running via any installation of Python on OSX. 1.4 not so much.
I've tried it once with MacPorts, that was a mess. I'll just keep my dev on my ubuntu. :) I have other uses for my mac, so it is just a matter of balancing strengths and weaknesses. For me, Ubuntu (and Linux in general) wins by leaps and bounds for development. Mac wins for audio/video/media. Windows is good at gaming. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:26 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:Windows is good at gaming. :)
Crossing my fingers that this isn't true for much longer, seeing as how Steam's being released for Mac, maybe they'll support Linux as well. :)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:47 am

Desdenova wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Windows is good at gaming. :)
Crossing my fingers that this isn't true for much longer, seeing as how Steam's being released for Mac, maybe they'll support Linux as well. :)
Indeedy. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 am

AdamR wrote:It's trashing the competition (with untruths, no less) rather than letting the product stand on its own merits. It's utilizing the customer's ignorance to your advantage through deception. It's the cheap way out.
Yes I find the cheap shots at competitors in any advertising well cheap, then again I usually just disregard adverts as much as possible. One thing that tickles me in the "I'm a PC" ads is that the Mac is one small difference away from being a PC anyway.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

AdamR wrote:
god0fgod wrote:Microsoft are much worse.
Which Microsoft ads are you referring to?
You said marketing which is more than just promotion. I wasn't only referring to advertisements. Can you remember Microsoft bribing people to use IE8? It was posted on here. That's an example of shocking promotion.

I could go on about Microsoft all day but I wont.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 am

god0fgod wrote:You said marketing which is more than just promotion. I wasn't only referring to advertisements. Can you remember Microsoft bribing people to use IE8? It was posted on here. That's an example of shocking promotion.

I could go on about Microsoft all day but I wont.
Microsoft isn't all that bad you know. I know you don't like IE8, but personally I think Microsoft isn't too bad. I don't think "bribe" would be the correct word to use, since Microsoft isn't actually making you use it for something in return. All companies promote their products, that's called advertising. Microsoft is no different.

soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm

onehundredandtwo wrote:Microsoft is no different.
I think that's the point he was trying to make (I think :| )
Desdenova wrote: Crossing my fingers that this isn't true for much longer, seeing as how Steam's being released for Mac, maybe they'll support Linux as well. :)
Figures, I'm about to be away from technology for a few months and Steam decides now is a perfect time to release a mac version. :cry:
// brian

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Bribing is immoral and in most cases illegal. Microsoft was bribing. It shouldn't be disputable.

Microsoft basically say all the time that their OSes is the faster, most secure and most innovative. They lie about coming up with things that have already been invented. Vista, which copied OSX, is the best example.

I remember a funny thing. When Bill Gates was demonstrating Windows 98 at some conference and a blue screen of death appeared, he nervously said something like "Oh, I guess that's why we haven't released Windows 98 yet". What did people get a few months later? Yes, that's right.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:37 pm

god0fgod wrote:Bribing is immoral and in most cases illegal. Microsoft was bribing. It shouldn't be disputable.
I would assume this would fall into your definition of bribery? Oh, by the way, Apple did it, too.

I really think you need to read up on bribery. ;) By your definition of bribery, retail stores that advertise "buy one, get one free" constitutes bribery.
Microsoft basically say all the time that their OSes is the faster, most secure and most innovative. They lie about coming up with things that have already been invented. Vista, which copied OSX, is the best example.
We've been over this before, so I'd rather not write another wall of text. ;)
I remember a funny thing. When Bill Gates was demonstrating Windows 98 at some conference and a blue screen of death appeared, he nervously said something like "Oh, I guess that's why we haven't released Windows 98 yet". What did people get a few months later? Yes, that's right.
Do you remember this?. May I bring your attention to 1:37. I remember that. I remember the Microsoft one as well. Both are funny.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 pm

AdamR wrote:
god0fgod wrote:Bribing is immoral and in most cases illegal. Microsoft was bribing. It shouldn't be disputable.
I would assume this would fall into your definition of bribery? Oh, by the way, Apple did it, too.
Microsoft gave a competition exclusive to IE users and the charity money was coming from a loss.
I really think you need to read up on bribery. ;) By your definition of bribery, retail stores that advertise "buy one, get one free" constitutes bribery.
That's a promotional offer and not bribery. There's no problem fiddling with prices. I do find using charity as a promotional tool to be rather immoral. Either be a charity or don't be. Don't donate 10% or so of the profits and take the promotional benefit with the other 90%.
We've been over this before, so I'd rather not write another wall of text. ;)
"Apple copied Microsoft with application stacking in the dock. It's more "sophisticated" since it fans out in a beautifully animated curve fashion, but it's exactly the same idea"

Application stacking? Have you used OSX before? Stacks are used for folders and are nothing like what Microsoft has.
Do you remember this?. May I bring your attention to 1:37. I remember that. I remember the Microsoft one as well. Both are funny.

- Adam
Yes. My point was that Bill gates was lying. At 1:37 Steve Jobs said it was a bug and didn't lie to cover it up.

"What is this? I don't know but it works!" XD

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:02 am

onehundredandtwo wrote:Microsoft isn't all that bad you know. I know you don't like IE8, but personally I think Microsoft isn't too bad. I don't think "bribe" would be the correct word to use, since Microsoft isn't actually making you use it for something in return. All companies promote their products, that's called advertising. Microsoft is no different.
And granted, but those who approve of that kind of marketing should not be complaining about the Apple marketing. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

phannhatnghi

Post by phannhatnghi » Sun May 30, 2010 9:47 am

New version of macbook pro core i7
I like it

realizment

Post by realizment » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:12 am

Apple laptops are just way beyond pc's, i have had mine now since 06 and apart from regular wear and tear and running out of HD space, its been a gem, never crashed once in all those years.

I use A pc for my music studio only because i cant afford a full mac set up right now!

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm

I just love PC ! :D

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:05 pm

I love him too, he's a great actor. :D :P
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Return to “General Discussion”