Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Post by DavidIQ »

So this game has broken some sales records apparently. I own and have played (obviously) CoD2 and CoD4 and am tempted to jump in on this one too. I'd like to hear from those of you that have it or have played it. Good stuff? Nice graphics? Good gameplay? Which console are you using to playing it on? I'll be getting the PC one if anything. I just noticed it's on Steam as well...

As an aside, I hear there's a scene where you play the terrorists and kill civilians. What are your thoughts on that?
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
kzone

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Post by kzone »

I played Modern warfare 1 for almost two years (50, 000 kills & 30,000 deaths). Anyway, I just got a copy of modern warfare 2 today. I will post my opinions in a day or two.

If you go to infinity ward forums, you will get better reviews. Mostly, a lot of people like the Campaign over multiplayer on MW2.

Of course...Oxbox 360 all the way :P
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

If I ever get it, It wont be for a long time. The reason is so precisely illustrated by this webcomic: http://nerfnow.com/comic/image/199

For those of you that don't know about CoD5, they don't have support for regular, community servers on the PC version.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Graphics are top notch...seems to be a "campers paradise" on some maps. Overall, I like it.

A whole bunch of stuff

Then again this is the 360 version not the PC version so YMMV.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

It's Modern Warfare with more shooters and explosions.
Chris SmithGitHub
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

DavidIQ wrote:As an aside, I hear there's a scene where you play the terrorists and kill civilians. What are your thoughts on that?
It has always been my opinion that such games are recruiting tools for Satan to train his army of evil.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Brf wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:As an aside, I hear there's a scene where you play the terrorists and kill civilians. What are your thoughts on that?
It has always been my opinion that such games are recruiting tools for Satan to train his army of evil.
Funny how this made headlines with MW2 and not with WotLK, for example.
In WotLK, the starting instance for DK requires you to terrorize a civillian town with killing their people and attacking their structures.

They are both just games, but MW2 makes this terrorist thing seem more realistic, i quess...
Signature is here
Xtracker!

Post by Xtracker! »

Brf wrote:
Is just a game and if you don't like the mission you can skip it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuH7uQleRoc
Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

While I can see why people get offended by the hostage level (Apologies for the following spoilers), I feel it's one that's neccesary to play considering it's what sets the entire plot in motion. I don't think it detracts from the game itself, I commend IW for taking a shot at something so controversal during a time where censorship in games is getting worse and worse. (See: Violence in L4D2, supposed racism in RE5, anything Jack Thompson says/said, etc).

I enjoyed all of single player overall. The multiplayer experience is much more dynamic than in 4; the levels are less linear, and the new/altered perks and addition of new equipment has made playstyles quite different. My only niche with the game, as someone else mentioned, is people camping. But this is a fault of the players, not of the game itself. Considering how spread out the new levels are, camping isn't really anything game-breaking, since there's multiple routes to get just about anywhere, now.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

From one of my forum members

:lol:
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Camping also takes very little effort to accomplish something and ruins the game for the rest of the players that are there to have a good time.

As for the terrorist map, I think people need to not be getting used to it. I think it is horrible and I won't be getting MW2 because of this.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Techie-Micheal wrote:As for the terrorist map, I think people need to not be getting used to it. I think it is horrible and I won't be getting MW2 because of this.
It's just a game. It isn't as if IW is encouraging people to go out and shoot up airports because of it.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom

Post by Tom »

Shadow of Nobody wrote:[ ... ] (See: Violence in L4D2, supposed racism in RE5 [ ... ]
I just want to say something about those two examples. They're good examples that you have provided, but I want to comment on the both of them in comparison to Modern Warfare 2.

First, Left 4 Dead 2. In my opinion, the violence in Left 4 Dead 2 is really not as bad as everyone has perceived. I have been playing it since the day it came out and I still have yet to be extremely surprised with the amount of gore showcased in the game. I was actually quite surprised that the governments of Germany and Australia censored the game just because of the gore when there were other reasons they could have done so. Men and women in the armed forces across the world see more gore than what is showcased in video games, but they're trying to censor their citizens from seeing it? I personally just do not see the immediate issue there. As for Resident Evil 5, many people blew that way out of proportion. If you are in Africa, it only makes sense that the majority of people that you encounter will be of a darker skin color. It's not racism, it's the game makers trying to make the setting as realistic as possible. Also, for those who claimed that it was racist for a white person to go around killing a bunch of African zombies, keep in mind that the main protagonist of the game had an African partner, too, so it wasn't like a "white gang-up" or anything of the sort. Plus, if a zombie was trying to attack me (hypothetically-speaking, of course), I wouldn't care what race they were - I still wouldn't hesitate to defend myself. Anyway, I think I've made my opinions quite clear about the exaggerations of Left 4 Dead 2's gore and Resident Evil 5's "implied racism."

All things considered, I believe that the killing of innocent civilians in a game, especially in an era where terrorism is a serious issue in this country, makes for a valid argument of censorship compared to the arguments that were presented for Left 4 Dead 2 and Resident Evil 5. Some may disagree with me, and I expect that. However, I feel that it is impossible to compare the gore of Left 4 Dead 2 and the "implied racism" of Resident Evil 5 to the killing of innocent civilians that appears in Modern Warfare 2.

That is my opinion, and you may make of it what you wish.
Tom C. - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

Fair enough. I was trying to use them as mere examples of the generalizations people seem to make about videogames in general turning kids evil/encouraging violence/etc. While I'll admit that violent videogames may desensitize children, I, personally, am 17 years old, and feel that the school environment has done worse to me than any game may ever have.

That aside, I do honestly feel the only reason any person would be compelled to murder another human being after seeing it being done in the game is because they may have already been mentally sick in the first place.

But that's getting somewhat offtopic, so I'll try leave it at that, unless you want to discuss it some more in private ;) .

I think things like this turn into a censorship vs personal sensitivity kind of conflict. I know plenty of people who wouldn't be comfortable with playing the particular level in the game, but they would not denounce the game itself as a result - You're given the option of skipping it, and as I said earlier, it's an important part of the plot (Which is strange to say about any game that revolves around shooting everything on the screen that's basically not you or your BFF). It's a twist that hasn't been done before, sure, but nothing positive comes of it, events-wise. It's not like it promotes terrorism, or anything. While some games and probably fictional stories in general leave the "villain" up to perspective in regards to wheter or not they're truly evil, it's pretty obvious in this level that these people you are walking with, undercover, do have their heart in the wrong place, even shown in the fact that during the initial part of the level before the special squads show up, you're forced adopt a leisurely pace that everyone else is moving at.

Even when playing the level itself, you don't have to actually shoot at any of the civilians. You're not forced to by the main badguy, and he shoots you in the head regardless of any action you take in the level anyway (I apologize if I spoiled this part for anyone).

P.S; Wow, I didn't mean to write such a wall of text. Sheesh.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

iWisdom wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:As for the terrorist map, I think people need to not be getting used to it. I think it is horrible and I won't be getting MW2 because of this.
It's just a game. It isn't as if IW is encouraging people to go out and shoot up airports because of it.
I didn't say they were. But becoming desensitized to that sort of thing is not something I want to do. That is my choice and giving me the "it's just a game" doesn't make me want to go out and buy it. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Return to “General Discussion”