How to reduce server load?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
sotiris25s

How to reduce server load?

Post by sotiris25s »

I have one forum site with links on it for about 7 months now.

Im hosted on a shared host and since last week my site keeps being suspended due the servers CPU and RAM usage.

I have contacted the support team of my host but they said to me that they cant find exactly what generates the overload.

I have removed some mods i have installed lately to my site but nothing changed. I saw that my database is 70MB and i think that might be the problem but i dont know how to reduce it or delete any unused entries. I dont even know if thats the problem!

Can anyone suggest me something to fix this important problem?

The site has 1.000 pageviews daily and 300 users visits. My bandwidth and disk space are kept in normal numbers. thats not the problem i think! Thanks in advance!
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Re: How to reduce server load?

Post by smithy_dll »

phpBB3 should handle that load without lifting a finger. 70 MB is a small database
If they can't tell you more about why they are suspending you, I would find a different host
Systems Engineering
sotiris25s

Post by sotiris25s »

They said from the host that im using too much CPU and RAM and they cant continue hosting me if i cant fix it!

I have some mods installed into my forum and i dont know if that is the problem. Does anyone know what mods are using high numbers of CPU and RAM??

MODs i have installed:
Simple hide bbcode with thanks button
Mchat
User Reminder
Prime Quick Reply
NV Recent Topics
Top Five

Can anyone help me? :cry:
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

They should be able to tell you which file is causing the excess load...that's hosting 101.
sotiris25s

Post by sotiris25s »

RMcGirr83 wrote:They should be able to tell you which file is causing the excess load...that's hosting 101.
I have already asked them but thats what they said:
we do not know what is causing this, that is why we are asking for you to check your scripts. Bandwidth is not a problem as long as you are not going over your limit. It could possibly be your scripts, or any mods you may have, or like i said possibly your website is a high traffic site. Please figure out what is causing it, you could try to post less images, and possibly that could help, we do not know for sure, it is for you to find out.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Please figure out what is causing it, you could try to post less images, and possibly that could help, we do not know for sure, it is for you to find out.
Images do not cause server CPU load. :roll:

If they can't tell you which pages are causing the server load, then how do they know it's your domain?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Then, IMHO, they are nubs and don't know what they are doing and you should move your forum to a new host that has a clue.

They should be able to tell you which php script is causing the high CPU and RAM usage. I'm not sure how many php files are in your forum but to state "...we are asking for you to check your scripts" seems to me to be a pretty daunting task as there are quite a few php scripts within a default phpBB forum even without having mods installed.

You could also uninstall mods one at a time and ask them to check the utilization each time you uninstall a mod until you possibly find the one that they are having an issue with. BTW, to uninstall a mod you do not need to remove the entries from the database, just remove the entries for the mod involved from the php and html files. As them to check after removing the code and if no change, place the code back and continue onto the next mod.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

You're not hosted by blueHost are you?

Reason I ask is that blueHost suspended me for excessive CPU usage whilst taking a full forum backup through Admin Panel. Seeing as the database was only around 35mb, I found this actually quite shocking.

I don't suppose this could be the problem? Do you take backups using this method?

Edit: Also, are you running any kind of "Topsite" on your account?
Mahmilton

Post by Mahmilton »

Hi,
Here I have enlisted some tips on how to reduce the server load. I hope it would be helpful for you. If not then I need to know the particlar information about your sever.

*Optimizing Your Images
*Remove Unnecessary HTML Code, Tags and White Spaces
* Avoiding Attachments Whenever Possible
* Cache RSS Feeds
*Use AJAX and JavaScript Libraries
* Compress your HTML and PHP with GZip
*Disable File Hotlinks
*Website Caching
*Compress your CSS by shorthand CSS properties
*Use CSS Text Instead of Images
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Mahmilton wrote:* Compress your HTML and PHP with GZip
That's blatantly incorrect. GZip actually increases server load.
sotiris25s

Post by sotiris25s »

I have removed all the mods for the last two days with the hope that will fix the problem but i got an email from them today saying:
Your website is still using more CPU than allowed!
Please view these images -> Image
and Image

It shows that your website is using 3 - 4 Times more CPU than allowed!

It is constantly doing this, and we have warned you numerous times already. If you cannot stop your website from doing this, we will have no choice but to ask you to leave our hosting, or purchase a vps!
How can i fix this if i have removed my mods and still nothing changed? And if i change host what quarantees me that it wont happen on the new host? :?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Firstly, that's the PHP CLI unless they've renamed the CGI interpreter for some reason. Secondly they are zombie processes, therefore what ever invoked them has not cleaned up after itself. Finally those processes have used 17 hundredths of a second and 21 hundredths of a second of CPU time since they were started, hardly intensive.
Chris SmithGitHub
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:IMHO, they are nubs and don't know what they are doing and you should move your forum to a new host that has a clue.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:IMHO, they are nubs and don't know what they are doing and you should move your forum to a new host that has a clue.
+1 for that.

Just out of curiosity who exactly are you hosted with? The way I see it, the Email they sent you was written by a 13 year old. For a start, there is an excessive use of exclamation marks. Secondly, an established host wouldn't "ask" one of their paying customers to leave. They would strongly recommend upgrading to a VPS, or simply suspend them. *shrug*

Edit: Did I mention the grammar mistakes?
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

Since you removed all mods, I would also suggest you to drop a clean set of phpbb 3.0.6 files. This way you will be 100% sure that your phpbb is "stock"
If they still complain then kiss them goodbye and find a better host, since they apparently want to force you to pay for a VPS...
FYI I'm on shared hosting, have about 30 mods, my db is ~800MB and never had any complaints about CPU load.

Return to “General Discussion”