Windows 7 or vista..?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
god0fgod

Re: Windows 7 or vista..?

Post by god0fgod »

Great relative to Vista? That doesn't mean it's great against what people should expect from OSes.

I haven't used Windows 7. I've only read about it and seen videos, images and it on a screen.

From this limited experience, the best I can say is that I am as interested in buying Windows 7 or even trying it out as I am drinking dirty sea water.
agraj
I've Been Banned!

Post by agraj »

hello,
well, vista isn't that bad for general use but if you are an programmer or an developer then surely you going to face some issues regarding stability. Window 7 has no issues, whether you are a developer or general user.
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

agraj wrote:Window 7 has no issues, whether you are a developer or general user.
I wouldn't make a general statement such as that, especially when referring to a Mircosoft product. ;)

I've experienced my fair share of freezes/crashes with Windows 7 64-bit, specifically issues that seem to be tied to my usage of Firefox 3.6. It could simply be my unique setup, but I can't see how my setup would be that much different from everyone else who uses Firefox 3.6. I've mostly experienced freeze-ups when uploading files via Firefox in my CPanel; not exactly sure what triggers it, but IE surprisingly handles the same function just fine. Then again, you could argue that this is a bug with Firefox and not Windows 7, which is a reasonable argument. However, Firefox is not the only program that has caused some issues with my installation of Windows 7. I've frozen-up quite a few times in games using Steam, as well as some games that do not use Steam (such as Halo 2 for PC). Like I've said before, it could be my particular setup, but many people have complained about the Halo 2 server list bug on Windows 7, for example, so I doubt that it is just me. And although most Steam users know that Steam does not have the best track record when it comes to stability, I've never experienced as many freeze-ups and crashes with Windows Vista as I have with Windows 7. These issues are not too frequent, but they always seem to occur at the most inopportune times.

I could continue to go on with my list, and some may argue that these bugs are quite trivial in the greater scope of things, and I would agree with that. However, with regards to the particular statement of yours which I quoted about, I could certainly find even more reasons to refute such a claim. I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, just that it's a big of an ill-supported generalization.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Tom wrote:It could simply be my unique setup, but I can't see how my setup would be that much different from everyone else who uses Firefox 3.6.
I entirely stopped using Firefox soon after 3.6 was released because of stability issues. In my experience, stability has largely deteriorated since 3.0 and I finally had enough of it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are extremely close brothers. To a large extent, there's very few differences between the two on the back end (driver model, networking stack, security). The areas of improvement were in the realm of efficiency. Boot time is faster, applications launch faster, and I/O times have been largely reduced. Scalability has been improved (now scales to 256 cores), though Windows 7 users really won't see this.

Most of the issues I've uncovered with Windows 7 are in the areas of aesthetics and legacy. There's various elements in the shell (such as fonts) that are inconsistent and/or improper font combinations in various different areas. There's also areas in the Control Panel which are still the exact same dialog boxes that were present in Windows 95.

All around, it's a better product. I use it exclusively on all my machines (2008 R2 on the server). But like all software, it's not without its problems. They're small, but they're there.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
gennybeans

Post by gennybeans »

i'm rarely on my PC, but when i am, i'm running vista.

i'm planning on moving over to 7 though purely based on the fact that vista thought it'd be fun to delete all my optical drive drivers, which means i can no longer use it until i get them back (which apparently cannot be done because they're not available for download?).
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

gennybeans wrote:i'm planning on moving over to 7 though purely based on the fact that vista thought it'd be fun to delete all my optical drive drivers, which means i can no longer use it until i get them back (which apparently cannot be done because they're not available for download?).
An extremely common issue. Google is your friend: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/92946. Note that all support should be obtained from either Microsoft or a forum/site dedicated to Windows issues. Just posting this here for reference.

This issue can also exist in Windows 7.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

I wont be changeing to vista 7 as i see no reason to . It isnt faster , safer or easyer to use and doesnt use less system resources as far as i`m concerned and nobody has yet explained why its about 20 times as big as XPP . I`ve tried it and for me it looks like a colour blind dislexic borg designed the look of it . My xpp goes in in 10 - 13 minutes and i never have any problems with it so why change . And OMG.....the price !!!!!! .
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are far better than Windows XP in terms of safety. In fact, there is even a Wikipedia article about it, see Security and safety features new to Windows Vista.

Windows 7 also performs better than Windows XP on newer computers, especially on startup.

As for being easy to use... why isn't Vista easy to use? I'm using Vista at the moment, and I've never had any issues. You can always change the colour scheme to Windows Standard rather than Windows Vista (which I have done on my computer, I agree that it is slightly more readable).

Nobody is suggesting that you should upgrade your computer, but it definitely makes sense to use Windows Vista or Windows 7 on a new computer over Windows XP.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

I supose its a mater of where one gets ones info and who one trusts . I regularly read as many computer magazines as i can and i havent found any revues of vista 7 that say it has any real advantages yet . The features it has that are suposed to make it better all seem to me to be irelevant . Plus lets wait a bit and see if it realy is safer . Thats what some people say about linux and macs.....BUT.....when it comes down to it xpp is safer than both , By that i mean every time theres a compotition to crack or hack them xpp always came of the best . The last test i saw said that xpp had about 200 holes in it , linux sveral hundred more and macs thousands . Most sources said that the only reason why hackers dont hack linux or macs so much is because no one uses them , especialy people who have sensative data that hackers might want to steal .

I think most people dont have new computers and cant aford to buy one just to put more money into big bills pockets . My XPP goes up and also restarts in 43 seconds and when i turn it off it takes 8 to 12 seconds thats fast enough for me .

And as far as i`m concerned one shouldnt take wiki as being gods law chiseled in stone . I say that because i`ve often seen things in it that were plain wrong and other things that have been changed to say very diferent things over a period of a few hours . Then last but not least mr.wales says dont trust wiki because its made by amatures and is easily manipulated . He says ALWAYS get a second source like the encyclopaedia britanica thats written by experts and checked by experts .

This bits even laster......LOL.......vista was realy the beta version of vista 7 .
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

god0fgod wrote:Great relative to Vista? That doesn't mean it's great against what people should expect from OSes.
I would say just in general.
god0fgod wrote:I haven't used Windows 7. I've only read about it and seen videos, images and it on a screen.

From this limited experience, the best I can say is that I am as interested in buying Windows 7 or even trying it out as I am drinking dirty sea water.
Let me know how it tastes :)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

oleg-karow wrote:I supose its a mater of where one gets ones info and who one trusts .
Well obviously I don't trust people who comment on forum posts without any kind of evidence to back their claims up.
oleg-karow wrote:I regularly read as many computer magazines as i can and i havent found any revues of vista 7 that say it has any real advantages yet .
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single review that claims that Windows 7 has absolutely zero advantages over XP.
Chris SmithGitHub
oddfish

Post by oddfish »

ToonArmy wrote:... I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single review that claims that Windows 7 has absolutely zero advantages over XP.
I think one should be [turns wheel] hard pressed [/turns wheel] to consider there is none. :lol:

I'd be very concerned that the past 10 years of OS development (let alone any software cycle) be of no advantage.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

That reminds me of captain beefheart singing "well i wrote you a letter , you must have read it wrong" .

"Well obviously I don't trust people who comment on forum posts without any kind of evidence to back their claims up."

I dont think its obvious because i dont know you . And to say you dont trust me is a bit insulting if you ask me especialy as you dont know me and the fact that i wrote "I supose " - "seem to me" - "I think" - "as far as i`m concerned" - "I say" = i emphasised that what i said was my opinion . I dont need your aproval to have an opinion or to say it and i dont have to prove an opinion . I tried it and i built my opinion on my experience i didnt say that what i said was fact .

Maybe it would have been better to say "i dont trust that comment / opinion" ?

The things that i`ve read that are suposed to make it better dont apeal to me . The way it looks dosnt apeal to me . And the experiences that i made useing it dont impress me .

As a parent when i look at what you said , the words you chose and the fact that i didnt claim that what i said was a fact i would guess that you werent only answering my coments in my post but also to what you feel about what i said in others .

Could you please either read my posts properly in future and reply to what i actualy say or refrain from , in my opinion , insults in your answers . Thank you .
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

oleg-karow wrote:Thats what some people say about linux and macs.....BUT.....when it comes down to it xpp is safer than both , By that i mean every time theres a compotition to crack or hack them xpp always came of the best . The last test i saw said that xpp had about 200 holes in it , linux sveral hundred more and macs thousands . Most sources said that the only reason why hackers dont hack linux or macs so much is because no one uses them , especialy people who have sensative data that hackers might want to steal .
There is no opinion here it is presented as fact without any sources to the claims up. This web server for example has sensitive data, your password, email address etc. and it's running Linux.
Chris SmithGitHub
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

As i`m starting to get the impression that there is a heirarchy / pecking order here i invite you to come to my site where we can debate things fairly without you getting the impression that i`m letting the big boss hang out , or twisting and dodgeing and diveing and useing arguments that you might think are realy just cheep atempts to dodge any responsibility for what i say or that i`m trying to move the goal posts by makeing coments that have no relation to what i say . Thank you for your time .

I wont post in this thread again .

Return to “General Discussion”