Windows 7 or vista..?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Brandon05
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Re: Windows 7 or vista..?

Post by Brandon05 »

I ordered my Windows 7 earlier this year I believe. I got it when they had a 50% off sale on it. So I ended up paying only $50 USD for my copy of Windows Home Premium.

I find myself being better organized when designing/coding with 7 because of all the new features they have implemented. I would recommend 7 over Vista any day. ;)

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

FeyFre wrote:Vista/7 core does not brings any new feature unavailable in XP/2K3. Only one thing they did - added pink ribbons for blonde, curly-haired girls w/o brains inside head. Turn off aero, turn off shell, subtract dumb device manufacturers(we do not support OS other than MS) and you will got the same system as XP/2K.
They added one feature I really love, the snap to half screensize thingy, and I'm not even a Windows user!
Chris SmithGitHub

sofico

Post by sofico »

If you ask me - neither Vista or nor Windows 7. Both of them are terrible. XP was better.
I have to use Windows 7 at work and it slows me down very much. Every transition from window to window in the same program takes several seconds, cause you need to choose the window every time. In XP you just know where is it and click it - it takes half a second maximum.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

sofico wrote:If you ask me - neither Vista or nor Windows 7. Both of them are terrible. XP was better.
I have to use Windows 7 at work and it slows me down very much. Every transition from window to window in the same program takes several seconds, cause you need to choose the window every time. In XP you just know where is it and click it - it takes half a second maximum.
You do know you can change that in the taskbar properties right? :roll:

The only thing I was missing in Windows 7 was the multi-desktop feature that is native to Linux and has some powerful eye candy in Ubuntu. In Vista I was able to use the Winternals "Desktops" application which gave me this feature and was all of one file which gave you 4 desktops with a hotkey funcion. In Windows 7 it works if you give it administrative rights but doesn't work all that well. I finally found a program called Dexpot (Google it) which has TONS of features and can give you up to 20 desktops so now I'm a happier camper. You don't really know how useful multiple desktops are until you actually use them. :lol:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

DavidIQ wrote:
sofico wrote:If you ask me - neither Vista or nor Windows 7. Both of them are terrible. XP was better.
You do know you can change that in the taskbar properties right? :roll:

The only thing I was missing in Windows 7 was the multi-desktop feature that is native to Linux and has some powerful eye candy in Ubuntu. In Vista I was able to use the Winternals "Desktops" application which gave me this feature and was all of one file which gave you 4 desktops with a hotkey funcion. In Windows 7 it works if you give it administrative rights but doesn't work all that well. I finally found a program called Dexpot (Google it) which has TONS of features and can give you up to 20 desktops so now I'm a happier camper. You don't really know how useful multiple desktops are until you actually use them. :lol:
I can't survive without multiple desktops XD

As to the "Neither" arguement - I agree! But that wasn't the question. I would prefer Mac OS X every time.

~Callum

Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Windows 7 by far. Vista is buggy and to be honest pretty terrible in my view.

Although with XP and Windows 7. If your not used to Windows 7 it takes a few days-weeks to get used too.

I recommend you stick with XP or if you get windows 7 then get ultimate or professional that has XP Mode if you like XP.
agreed
compare 7 and vista
absolutely choose 7
but
rahter than both
far better use XP

Alterno

Post by Alterno »

Windows 7 is the best "paid" OS that your money can buy, If you want to save some bucks and don't mind learning something different than windows go with Ubuntu (linux). However windows 7 still my main OS, but for god sake believe me when I tell you this, don't buy a mac, don't make the same mistake as me.

samengland
Name: Sam England

Post by samengland »

Windows 7 should be a no-brainer. It's much more resource efficient and has a better UX/UI.

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

just windows 7 :D

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Alterno wrote:Windows 7 is the best "paid" OS that your money can buy, If you want to save some bucks and don't mind learning something different than windows go with Ubuntu (linux). However windows 7 still my main OS, but for god sake believe me when I tell you this, don't buy a mac, don't make the same mistake as me.
Why didn't you like a Mac? Did you spend about an hour getting to grips with it? It's very different to Windows in many ways but being different is not an excuse for it being bad.Once you know how to use a Mac properly, they are very good indeed minus a few annoying things. Comparing to Windows, OSX is much nicer to use.

Clug
Name: James

Post by Clug »

Windows 7 hands down.

Mathieu M.
Name: Mathieu

Post by Mathieu M. »

I'm on Windows 7 64 bits, and at the moment, it seems to work good (except with old music programs I used with Windows XP).

Sajaki

Post by Sajaki »

windows 7 sucks.

edit. I actually only use it at work and from my bootcamp partition when i need to open up a juniper vpn connection with my company network. Using Windows is like a bad horror movie. everything is expressly designed to be counterintuitive, i'ts clunky, gets in your way, it imposes its workflow on you instead of the other way around, it always guesses what you're trying to do and getting it wrong. it's full of bloat, it's just utter hell i wouldn't know where to start. i positively utterly hate windows. to bits.

Get Snow Leopard or Ubuntu. At least you'll keep sane :evil:
Last edited by Sajaki on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie »

Sajaki wrote:windows 7 sucks.
One of the weirdest posts evar !

Tah Zonemaster
Name: Robert

Post by Tah Zonemaster »

Windows 7 is good, but Vista to. :) I use Vista, but i recommend you windows 7. Most new themes are only available on it.

Return to “General Discussion”