Windows 7 or vista..?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
marryjohnson

Windows 7 or vista..?

Post by marryjohnson »

Hi to all
I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Re: Windows 7 or vista..?

Post by Rotsblok »

7 without even thinking...

reason: Much beter then vista...too many reasons why..
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I would never buy either because I hate Windows but if it has to be one of them I can say Windows 7 is faster and has more features than Vista. Being new there is a higher potential for more bugs but I'd go with Windows 7 if I had to buy a Windows OS to save my life.
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom

Post by Tom »

If you don't think that the programs you will be running will experience conflicts with Windows 7, then I would certainly suggest purchasing it over Vista. I am actually considering purchasing it myself very soon. Just don't be fooled by the prices. Microsoft likes to show the price for the Windows 7 upgrade from Vista package on their website as the main price for Windows 7, but the price of the full version of Windows 7 is actually much higher.
Tom C. - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

If you're a student, then you can get a considerable discount on the retail versions of Windows 7. If you're lucky, you may be able to get it from your college or University for free. Some provide MSDNAA accounts (like mine :P)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

I've noticed a substantial decrease of memory usage by the OS with Win 7 (the RC) versus Vista.

Still prefer my Fedora 12 install though. It runs even better than those two. :)
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

Tom wrote:If you don't think that the programs you will be running will experience conflicts with Windows 7, then I would certainly suggest purchasing it over Vista. I am actually considering purchasing it myself very soon. Just don't be fooled by the prices. Microsoft likes to show the price for the Windows 7 upgrade from Vista package on their website as the main price for Windows 7, but the price of the full version of Windows 7 is actually much higher.
Or some retailers sell the oem version also :D against some reasonable price...
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom

Post by Tom »

Rotsblok wrote:Or some retailers sell the oem version also :D against some reasonable price...
But how could you live without the big and beautiful box that the regular version comes in, as opposed to the DVD case that the OEM is sold in. ;) :)

But, seriously, I would never pay for the full version when the OEM version is available. I can do without the big pretty box and all of the manuals and such - OEM is perfect for me (and so is its price).
Tom C. - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

I, myself NEVER installed windows Vista... On the other hand, a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate was sitting on my desk on the afternoon of 22nd of October. The installation took place two days later. I'm using them every day since that day in a corporate environment with AD and never ever faced any problems (except a desktop background AD policy that won't work exactly right..)
So, I really doubt it if there will be any application issues with Windows 7..
Besides that, since you are buying a new laptop, why purchase an old O/S with it?
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

ChriZathens wrote:I, myself NEVER installed windows Vista... On the other hand, a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate was sitting on my desk on the afternoon of 22nd of October. The installation took place two days later. I'm using them every day since that day in a corporate environment with AD and never ever faced any problems (except a desktop background AD policy that won't work exactly right..)
So, I really doubt it if there will be any application issues with Windows 7..
Besides that, since you are buying a new laptop, why purchase an old O/S with it?
From what I've seen as well, most of the new laptops are coming with 7 preinstalled anyways.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

XP :lol:
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Does Windows 7 still have that annoying problem of really slow file copies from Samba shares? Vista was absolutely brutal that way, and unpredictable. One machine would be fine, but another machine would copy files from a Samba share at about 20 kB/sec, over a 100Mbps LAN connection.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Tom wrote:But how could you live without the big and beautiful box that the regular version comes in, as opposed to the DVD case that the OEM is sold in. ;) :)

But, seriously, I would never pay for the full version when the OEM version is available. I can do without the big pretty box and all of the manuals and such - OEM is perfect for me (and so is its price).
You should see my student version, its in a DVD sized piece of anonymous white cardboard.
Chris SmithGitHub
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

Darth Wong wrote:Does Windows 7 still have that annoying problem of really slow file copies from Samba shares? Vista was absolutely brutal that way, and unpredictable. One machine would be fine, but another machine would copy files from a Samba share at about 20 kB/sec, over a 100Mbps LAN connection.
I have a few samba shares I copy files from/to and never encountered such a problem...
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

ToonArmy wrote:
Tom wrote:But how could you live without the big and beautiful box that the regular version comes in, as opposed to the DVD case that the OEM is sold in. ;) :)

You should see my student version, its in a DVD sized piece of anonymous white cardboard.
Mine came in the form of a DVD-R :shock:.

But hey, MSDNAA gave me 2 free copies. I'm not complaining :D

Return to “General Discussion”