Impact of Oracle buying MySQL on phpBB?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jonswen

Impact of Oracle buying MySQL on phpBB?

Post by jonswen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:23 pm

I saw over on theregister's website, a story about MySQL creator "Monty" creating a petition website against the sale of MySQL (Sun) to Oracle.

I'm just curious how phpBB devs and members feel about this (Oracle obtaining MySQL & killing it)? Is it really something to get worked up over? Should we be getting behind this movement, spreading the word, etc.?
Last edited by jonswen on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Impact of Oracle buying MySQL on phpBB?

Post by AdamR » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:17 pm

I honestly don't think it will have that much of an impact on MySQL itself. When Sun acquired MySQL, there was a panic that they'd destroy MySQL. And while some would argue that MySQL isn't as good of a product today as it was previously, it really didn't have that much of an impact to the end user, both on the consumer and enterprise level. I wager it will be similar with Oracle, and possibly help in some areas (enterprises being able to have access to large-scale vendor support from Oracle, etc).

It is my personal opinion that MySQL really isn't the end-all-be-all database solution that so many proclaim it to be. Of course, its wide range of support and popularity makes it a solid solution for the average person. But in comparison to other database systems like Microsoft's SQL Server or the (open source) PostgreSQL database, it is definitely not as scalable for larger customers. Of course, for most smaller implementations, this is largely negligible.

That being said, one of the best features of phpBB is its DBAL which very few web-based applications feature. The ability for phpBB to be seamlessly used on a wide variety of database solutions ensures it will be fully supporting anything now and in the future in terms of databases. To be honest, if more applications had a DBAL such as this, MySQL usage would drop fairly quickly in favor of some other solutions, though it likely would still be the most popular for years to come.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:46 pm

AdamR wrote:I honestly don't think it will have that much of an impact on MySQL itself. When Sun acquired MySQL, there was a panic that they'd destroy MySQL.
The 'panic' was quite different, there were concerns that Sun would close source parts of it. But if that had been on the table I doubt MySQL would have been sold to Sun in that case. Remember Sun has a good track record with OSS, and they were acquiring a product that didn't compete with any of their own. Hence for Sun to just cease development of MySQL would be daft, why buy it in the first place? They could have looked to increase licensing revenues by close sourcing various parts, anything that made business sense to bring them revenue.

The situation with Oracle is totally different, Oracle are purchasing Sun and as a result absorbing MySQL. In most areas of their business Oracle and Sun are not in direct competition, but with Sun owning MySQL a competitor to Oracle in the database market. I realise that MySQL and Oracle are generally aimed at different ends at the market. Oracle has a massive share in the enterprise environment, and I imagine MySQL has a similar share in the web environment.

The issue comes down to does it make good business sense for Oracle to keep developing MySQL, I doubt they'd pull the plug right away but further down the line?
Chris SmithGitHub

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 am

ToonArmy wrote:The issue comes down to does it make good business sense for Oracle to keep developing MySQL, I doubt they'd pull the plug right away but further down the line?
I doubt they'd do it further down the line as well. After all, they do develop InnoDB which provides some nice features for the higher-end market, the exact audience which they target as a business. I'd wager they are interested in tweaking the main MySQL branch in order to better support this market, which might be a good thing. Only time will tell.

And while it's nothing firm or set in stone, Oracles preliminary plans for MySQL have been annouced: http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/ ... office-108
Oracle plans to spend more money developing MySQL than Sun does now. Oracle expects to continue to develop and provide the open source MySQL database after the transaction closes. Oracle plans to add MySQL to Oracle's existing suite of database products, which already includes Berkeley DB, an open source database. Oracle also currently offers InnoDB, an open source transactional storage engine and the most important and popular transaction engine under MySQL. Oracle already distributes MySQL as part of our Enterprise Linux offering.
- Adam
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:17 am

Furthermore, Oracle operates in a different space from MySQL. When you think of Oracle, you think of enterprise transactional systems, such as PeopleSoft. When you think of MySQL, you think of web-based systems, like Flickr, Amazon, Google, phpBB, etc.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

lampcms.com

Post by lampcms.com » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:24 pm

That's the worst Oracle can do to MySQL? The worst they can do is stop further development, announce that they discontinue MySQL completely. The most the can do is to claim the MySQL trademart, but they can't claim the code because it was developed under the open source license.

So if Oracle decides the kill MySQL, the most they can do it to prevent any other company from forking the mysql and keep calling it mysql. So what? Some other group of developers will fork it under a different name, while Oracle will be seen as a terribly evil company in the eyes of tens of thousands of mysql and open source fans. Not a good move for Oracle to mess with open source fans, there is just too many of us and we don't take kindly things like that.

Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:25 am

I think oracle is just expanding their market.. It's like VW buying Range Rover to cover the 4x4 market.. Orcale has been established for the higher end market and business market, now their looking into the mainstream webapplication db market.. I think Oracle is becoming one of the biggest players on the database market.. with a solution for everyone.

That being said I really think they will keep continuing development of mysql. But not by creating a solution for the higher end market (like the INNODB etc) but by levelling of commands etc. Meaning the commands to be the same as for INNODB etc.. So that you have different levels of databases. (like microsoft has the win 7 series (home to master of professional (or something like that))) so now Oracle has the database series of mySQL to Oracle... For every user a solution..
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

lampcms.com

Post by lampcms.com » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Once think I am pretty sure they will do if they buy mysql is they will completely screw over the mysql website and will make all the great online knowlege base a member-only, so you will need to have an account and login to see anything useful.

That's pretty much the situation on Oracle's website with Oracle documentation and articles. They are so member-hungry, but that's OK, they can have my throwaway email address.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 am

Don't anti-trust issues have to be looked at with regards to these sort of buy-outs? For instance, look at the NBC Universal/Comcast deal - that will probably be in limbo for months.

Would it be that same sort of thing (on a smaller scale) in this case?
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:45 pm

The accquisition was announced back in April 2009. However, the main holdup has been the EU's investigation into the case: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28514

- Adam

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:02 pm

It seems enormously unlikely --- for all the reasons outlined above --- that Oracle will mess with MySQL in a detrimental fashion. Even if they were to do that, all (or at least the vast majority; I'm not exactly sure) of MySQL in its current state is open source, so it would be more than possible for someone to create a fork and to put things back on track.

Even if *that* didn't happen (and I cannot imagine a situation in which it would not), phpBB has support for a wide range of databases, with at least PostgreSQL amongst them being open source, so I suspect the long-term implications for phpBB would be more or less non-existent.

This acquisition certainly deserves some attention; but not anything like the vast amounts of FUD (and often just plain old idiocy) which have been bandied about by various parties (note: nobody on here).

Return to “General Discussion”