Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Desdenova

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Desdenova » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:01 am

keith10456 wrote:Right now companies like Boost Mobile offer "real" unlimited plans (phone, text and Internet) for $60 and under per month.
Fun fact: it isn't as unlimited as you think. If you read the fine print, Boost and such companies reserve the right to cancel your service for "excessive use", which is whatever they define it as (most likely, it is a case-by-case basis).

Oh, the things you learn when you work customer care for the wireless companies.
Marshalrusty wrote:Wow, that's definitely something. So even "standard" markup is now proprietary :)
That's Apple for you.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 am

The term proprietary software is often used to mean computer software which is neither free nor open source. Safari is both free and, being Webkit, open source too. It’s not proprietary that is the issue here with their blocking of demos (on their site) to be viewed by Safari browsers only. There have been rumors that Microsoft executives have been visiting the Apple Inc headquarters recently about making Bing the default search engine on the iPhone, so I naturally ponder if they are starting to take on the mindset of Microsoft, which has shown less then sincere pushes for their own browser: Internet Explorer 9.

Apple is simply being moronic with their blocking of other browsers to view the HTML5 demos, they are using a similar marketing tactic that Microsoft is using for IE. It’s just stupid.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 am

Highway of Life wrote:Safari is both free and, being Webkit, open source too.
What?

WebKit is opensource. Safari most certainly is not.

EDIT: In fact, it has goodies like this:
This license allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on each computer owned or controlled by you.
Here's the whole thing: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/terms_win.html
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 am

Good golly, Highway of Life, you nailed that one big-time, if I may be excused for incorrectly using the word.

I especially love your choice of vocabulary that they are "simply being moronic". They might see the light before it's too late, if it's not already.

Yep, great post and I'm not one to pass out accolades. In fact, just the opposite, eh? The troublemaker, I think somebody labelled me.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:WebKit is opensource. Safari most certainly is not.
Safari is Webkit.
Download Webkit nightly, you can see for yourself that it’s not even repackaged except for the icon.

And what is wrong with that line? Seems fine to me. Safari is free, not proprietary.

-------

hehe @ Rhet. Thanks. :)

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Highway of Life wrote:And what is wrong with that line? Seems fine to me. Safari is free, not proprietary.
Safari most certainly is proprietary. Webkit/WebCore is primarily LGPL (not GPL) precisely for that reason.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Network Dictionary wrote:Proprietary Software
Proprietary software refers to a type of software in which the user does not control what it does or cannot study or edit the code and can not distribute the software without permission of the software copyright owner, in contrast to free software, which can be used, copied, studied, modified and redistributed.
As defined, Webkit is not proprietary.

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm not talking about Webkit. I'm talking about Safari. Safari is proprietary.

Safari license (on Windows)
You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts,
original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.
- Adam
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:27 pm

AdamR wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:And what is wrong with that line? Seems fine to me. Safari is free, not proprietary.
Safari most certainly is proprietary. Webkit/WebCore is primarily LGPL (not GPL) precisely for that reason.

- Adam
Right, because if it was GPL, Safari itself would have to be GPL'd as well, which we know it isn't.

Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 am

Is this a case where the thread should be split off to a new topic? I'd hate to start asking questions and find out I'm causing thread trouble again.

Frankly speaking, I thought Safari came out of that Berkeley business, whatever that is -- BDS or BSD, or something. How can something start out free and end up having a proprietary license attached to it?

I'm also now wondering how connected Webkit is to Safari.

But it seems any questions will move further away from the topic.

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 am

Rhet-or-Ric wrote:Frankly speaking, I thought Safari came out of that Berkeley business, whatever that is -- BDS or BSD, or something. How can something start out free and end up having a proprietary license attached to it?
Portions of Webkit are licensed under the LGPL (WebcCore, JavaScript Core) and the BSD (everything else) license. Both of these licenses do not require the final product (which is Safari in this case) to be released under the same license provided the copyright is left intact.
Is this a case where the thread should be split off to a new topic?
+1, this has become off topic from the iPad discussion.

- Adam

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:53 am

WebKit is the engine and is also used by other software such as Google Chrome. Webkit is released under the LGPL which allows proprietary to utilize the code. As Adam points out above, that is why it is specifically why it is released under the LGPL and the BSD license.

Safari is a browser which utilizes WebKit and is not opensource. In fact, the license is very restrictive (like most Apple licenses) and used to be even more restrictive. In fact, there was an issue with the license not allowing usage of Safari for Windows on any OS other than Mac OSX :P
Safari is released under a proprietary license, while WebKit is not.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 am

AdamR wrote:
Portions of Webkit are licensed under the LGPL (WebcCore, JavaScript Core) and the BSD (everything else) license. Both of these licenses do not require the final product (which is Safari in this case) to be released under the same license provided the copyright is left intact.

- Adam
Oh boy, now you've got me even more confused, but I'll wait until one of y'all figure out what to do about this new line of discussion before I continue.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 am

I think people have said enough about Safari and WebKit.

Back to the iPad shall we?

The iPhone is getting the multi-tasking, I assume the iPad is too. That can only be a good thing for many people who were hesitant before due to these certain features.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:36 am

This is interesting...
Adobe Partners to Deliver Flash Content to iPhone and iPad wrote:Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been very clearly and fairly adamant that Adobe Flash is fraught with too many issues to be allowed on the iPhone or iPad platforms. No worries. Adobe has partnered with Greystripe to implement a solution that circumvents Apple's ban on Flash and enables mobile advertisers to deliver Flash content on the Apple devices.

Return to “General Discussion”