Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:49 am

Apple will just ban it by adding a provision stating that advertisements must be originally constructed utilising HTML5 and not generated from another form of media or similar nonsense (much like they did to prevent third party tools from aiding in iPhone development). Sometime in February they banned applications using geolocation only for delivering targeted advertising (so they could announce an advertising service two months later that... you guessed it, uses geolocation for targeted advertising).
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

Phil wrote:Apple will just ban it by adding a provision stating that advertisements must be originally constructed utilising HTML5 and not generated from another form of media or similar nonsense (much like they did to prevent third party tools from aiding in iPhone development). Sometime in February they banned applications using geolocation only for delivering targeted advertising (so they could announce an advertising service two months later that... you guessed it, uses geolocation for targeted advertising).
This paragraph perfectly captures my reasons for consciously avoiding Apple products. Yuck

I also aim away from my feet when shooting.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:58 pm

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Articles like that are so stupid with their name choices, it should be AT&T's worst security breech, since the breech was through AT&T's website.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:04 am

Hah, at&t used consecutive IDs and then provided a php script that spit out user data when provided with the ID. I wouldn't even consider that a vulnerability, just stupidity. It behaved just as intended, except for the allowing anyone to do it, of course.
Highway of Life wrote:Articles like that are so stupid with their name choices, it should be AT&T's worst security breech, since the breech was through AT&T's website.
Indeed, I'm not sure how Apple was supposed to close gaping security holes in at&t's website. The article does mention that it was Apple requiring this data to be provided in order to activate the device, however.
Exacerbating the situation is that AT&T has not yet notified customers of the breach, judging from the subscribers we and the security group contacted, despite being itself notified at least two days ago. It's unclear if AT&T has notified Apple of the breach.
:?
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 am

Huh, looks like AT&T finally noticed: AT&T Fights Spreading iPad Fear.
Gawker appears convinced that Apple could have done something though, I wonder what, if anything...
Oh wait, yeah, they could have chosen to use a different network than AT&T.

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:41 am

Highway of Life wrote:Huh, looks like AT&T finally noticed: AT&T Fights Spreading iPad Fear.
Gawker appears convinced that Apple could have done something though, I wonder what, if anything...
Oh wait, yeah, they could have chosen to use a different network than AT&T.
As long as it was not Verizon it would be alright, because that would mean, that they al would be CDMA devices... which are quite useless here in Europe (at least in the Netherlands they are).

mujina

Post by mujina » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:36 pm

I wouldn't mind having one but to me they seem a bit out of place apart from everywhere except business meetings and Starbucks ^^ I for example wouldn't use something like this on a bus, its like carrying a sign around saying "rob me" ^^

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Apple has sold 3 million iPads in 80 days now. :shock:

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 pm

People who was skeptical on wether it would be a success were wrong to be so.

People who still think the iPad s useless aren't thinking hard enough. It's clear that the iPad makes it much faster and easier to do things than more complete PCs. The user interface was proven to be popular by the iphone. Applying a similar user interface to something more functional and larger surely can't be a bad idea?

If none of that is good enough, Apple is well liked by consumers now. People will buy ipads almost to feel special.

Let us hope Apple doesn't make an iRack though.

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 am

god0fgod wrote:Let us hope Apple doesn't make an iRack though.
The iHouse... with HD windows and many mind blowing features, the iHouse blows you away...

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 pm

iGlue? Perfect for the jobs required by Eskimos.

PS: I don't pronounce igloo like that.

knightofdoom

Post by knightofdoom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am

as much as i like the ipad.. i sucks too.. the device is not fully ready to come to the hands of the consumers .there are many more bugs to be fixed

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:48 pm

After using an iPad in an Apple store, I can see the appeal. It's really neat. Having said that, I don't really see that it's necessarily worth the price tag. It doesn't actually give you any real capabilities you didn't have before with other devices; it's just cool.

Mind you, people are willing to pay a lot of money for coolness. People buy cars that cost $30,000 more than other cars just because they look or seem cool, or because they have performance properties they can't even legally use. If I was the sort of person who would buy a sports car, I would probably have an iPad by now.

MasterZ

Post by MasterZ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 pm

I have had an iPad for a couple of months now, and I'm really glad I got it. It is much easier to use and carry with me than a laptop for most of my day-to-day computer use, such as checking email, posting on forums, uploading photos from my camera to facebook, etc.

The only thing I really use my computer for now is when I program or have some serious editing work to do on my photos before uploading them to my blog site. Other than that I only use the iPad.

Return to “General Discussion”