Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Apple iPad

Post by KevC »

So Apple have entered the tablet market with the iPad.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

There are already a few of these type of things on the market but they haven't really caught on. I wonder if the Apple magic touch will spark it in to life.

I think it's probably one of the most mediocre responses from an Apple launch ever.

I just don't really get it. If you have a laptop or an iPhone/Touch already I don't think you'd need it. I guess they're trying to get the market of people who just surf, listen to music and do the odd email and so don't need a full laptop with the hassles of software updates and installing things. In that respect I can see people who would use it. But I think most would say well for another £100 I can get a proper laptop which is more versatile.

I have a MacBook and I can't see why I'd get an iPad to replace it if it broke. Like most apple stuff it's a very desirable product but I don't have a use for it.

0.5 inches thin (12.7mm)
1.5 pounds (680g)
9.7 inch IPS LCD screen
1Ghz Apple A4 processor
16GB, 32GB, 64GB flash storage
802.11n Wifi
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Magnetic Compass Sensor
Motion Sensor
Speaker
Microphone
30-pin Dock Connector
10 Hour Battery (non-removable)
Runs all iPhone apps out of the box

$499, $599 and $699 for the 16, 32 and 64Gb respectively.
If you want 3G as well it's $629, $729 and $829

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Rotsblok »

Do already see someone sitting in the bus with that thing.. They would charge you for another seat..

If I want to do the things that the IPad can do.. well I do it on my pc, tv, laptop..

I don't need to see a movie when im in a bus or train.. And if I would like to, then I'll drag my laptop with me, I can then also go on the Inet, check my mail etc, do some phpBB stuff to my site etc..

I'm sorry but in my eyes that thing has no extra's as I have now.. or would like to have..
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

I really don't see the use of the iPad, where I can see the usefulness of the iPhone (- smartphones) and MacBooks (- laptop). I'm missing the big thing that the iPad can do but these two can't and especially what makes it worth this price.
Normally I've always a laptop with me, owning an iPad would mean that I've got to carry a second device around that is getting getting near to the size of my laptop.

As I've said on twitter
#iPad, an other nice to have #apple toy. Although way to expensive and I don't really see the use of it.
If someone would buy me one I wouldn't say no ;), but I ain't going to buy myself one.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

The usefulness will be measured by its ability to multitask.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Desdenova wrote:The usefulness will be measured by its ability to multitask.
....which it can't do. Presumably for battery reasons but it might come with the next version or an OS update I guess.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I think the USPs are taken from the iPhone. People love the iPhone. Now they can experience the iPhone experience with a larger screen and with better speeds. It isn't like a laptop because it has a touch screen and is small enough to use while standing. It's not like an iphone because it's bigger and faster.

Time will tell everything but people have been expecting this for a very long time and from what I can tell, people are in demand for this type of product.

I wont be getting one myself, unless I turn rich.
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

god0fgod wrote:I think the USPs are taken from the iPhone. People love the iPhone. Now they can experience the iPhone experience with a larger screen and with better speeds. It isn't like a laptop because it has a touch screen and is small enough to use while standing. It's not like an iphone because it's bigger and faster.
Touch screen can be build into a laptop.. Friend of mine did it (later broke his tft for other reasons..)
So still I don't see the usefulness of if, but might be me..
Time will tell everything but people have been expecting this for a very long time and from what I can tell, people are in demand for this type of product.
I think personally it's called a hype.. You wanna have on cos one of your colleagues has one etc.. But still time will tell..

One thing I have to give them they know how to build the interest and release it on the peak.. But then again it's a commercial company with a history of doing that (iPod, iTouch etc)
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

But everything is built into the screen with this, making it much easier to hold and use as a touch-screen device than if a laptop had a touch screen. You wouldn't be able to use it the same way, especially with the accelerometer. This works well as a gaming device; an entertainment device for music, videos and pictures and a photo frame, even. Of-course it allows for general PC tasks to be taken out out and about.

I want to see the actual UK price for the device. Why does Apple only release the US prices to begin with?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

god0fgod wrote:I want to see the actual UK price for the device. Why does Apple only release the US prices to begin with?
I suspect they need to set up the 3G deal first before they can release the prices.
god0fgod wrote:But everything is built into the screen with this, making it much easier to hold
But how long do you think you could hold it for before you start to get cramp in your hand. I don't think it's a laptop replacement. I think it's for people who don't do much typing but want some internet access to browse. ie just an ipod touch with a bigger screen. But for the same price or a fraction more you can get all the extra versatility by buying a laptop.

It's a nice 'toy' but I can't see it being a big revolution. And that's coming from a regular Apple fan.
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

god0fgod wrote:This works well as a gaming device
Maybe for Nintendo DS styled games, but I doubt you will be able to play anything that a real gamer would expect, mostly due to the lack of controls. A touchpad and an accelerometer does not come close to a keyboard and mouse when it comes to gaming. ;)
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

It's not very heavy so it wont give cramp I think.

One thing that would be interesting is if it could hook up to automated home systems and therefore be used as a home controller using applications made for it.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

god0fgod wrote:It's not very heavy so it wont give cramp I think.

One thing that would be interesting is if it could hook up to automated home systems and therefore be used as a home controller using applications made for it.
That would be interesting, but I intend to use Linux for that. Cheaper (read: free) to both obtain and develop for, since Apple requires that dev tax thing, there's already toolkits to handle touchscreens for Linux, and those toolkits are free as well. :P So ... while I think you have a good idea, there's cheaper solutions out there.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Don't really like the name...

I'm sure there is a market for this, but I am underwhelmed by it - and I use a Mac and think the iPhone is great. For me, the iPhone is my mobile access to the internet. I can access emails, web browsing, YouTube, maps, etc... there are even apps for SSH and FTP access if you needed to do something small on the go.

I think a cheap netbook would be more useful, because of the physical keyboard and the greater versatility. Just days ago Acer put a $390 (~US$350?) netbook into a supermarket. If the prices drop even further it's hard to see the iPad competing with that.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

battye wrote:Don't really like the name...

I'm sure there is a market for this, but I am underwhelmed by it - and I use a Mac and think the iPhone is great. For me, the iPhone is my mobile access to the internet. I can access emails, web browsing, YouTube, maps, etc... there are even apps for SSH and FTP access if you needed to do something small on the go.

I think a cheap netbook would be more useful, because of the physical keyboard and the greater versatility. Just days ago Acer put a $390 (~US$350?) netbook into a supermarket. If the prices drop even further it's hard to see the iPad competing with that.
I think I've seen netbooks in the US on sale for $320...maybe even $300.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Desdenova wrote:
battye wrote:Don't really like the name...

I think I've seen netbooks in the US on sale for $320...maybe even $300.
Ah yes, but you can't compare US and Australia. Our TV networks are still airing first-run episodes of Get Smart ;)

not really
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Return to “General Discussion”