Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by keith10456 »

SamG wrote:
keith10456 wrote:It makes you realize just how bad the Kindle is ;)
As a Kindle owner, I was thinking about that. I do a lot of reading on my touch and iPhone and really enjoy the eye candy, but if I had to choose just one, I'd still pick the Kindle, for two reasons: the inclusion of the data package and the battery life. That's just me, of course. :)
As a Kindle owner... If you're happy that's all that matters.

My point is, the Kindle DX cost $489. The bare-bones iPad is $499... If I have $500 to burn and I want a device with an e-reader (or that is an e-reader), I'm definitely NOT getting the Kindle - once I compare the features side by side.

Again though... If you're happy, that's all that matters ;)
shibby22
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Apple iPad

Post by shibby22 »

Love my ipad, ill take it anyday over the kindle.
User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by keith10456 »

Here's an interesting exchange between Steve Jobs and Gawker's Ryan Tate:

http://gawker.com/5539717/steve-jobs-of ... -from-porn
aurichie
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Apple iPad

Post by aurichie »

I'm waiting for the iBookstore to take off before I buy an iPad. I'm quite happy with my iPhone for times when I need to quickly check/send an email. It's always-on and with me.
Darth Wong
Registered User
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Darth Wong »

Steve Jobs wants to offer us "Freedom from Porn"? What's next? Freedom from objectionable viewpoints? Freedom from anything which might give offense to anyone in the "Family Values" movement at all? Freedom from blasphemy?

I don't really like the idea of Apple telling us what we can and can't watch or read or see on the iPad. Who knew that Steve Jobs would be Big Brother?
User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by god0fgod »

He has his own ideas on what's best for everybody. That's his biggest flaw.
User avatar
Sajaki
Registered User
Posts: 1371
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Sajaki »

Highway of Life wrote:Apple sold it’s one millionth iPad on Friday, 28 days after it’s release. In contrast, it took Apple 74 days to sell 1 million iPhones.

I had no clue that it would be anywhere near as popular as the iPhone, let alone more popular... I can’t believe a million people found it useful already. :shock:
it's a succes because Apple actually tapped into a new market... not for superusers, gamers, computer savvy people, but plain jane data consumers, people who maybe have a pc and now use perhaps 10% of its capabilities, like browsing, chatting, vids, that sort of thing. you know, the type that mistook ReadWriteWeb for Facebook. ;)
Desdenova
Registered User
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Desdenova »

Darth Wong wrote:I don't really like the idea of Apple telling us what we can and can't watch or read or see on the iPad. Who knew that Steve Jobs would be Big Brother?
And people are worried about Google and Microsoft. :lol:

Meanwhile, I'll be having some fun on my open source Operating System, playing with some open source games that were totally free instead of being a sucker for Apple fanboi products^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wnot saving money so I can keep paying for my college education and worrying about what our Master, Steve Jobs, thinks of what I should be allowed to run on my machine.
Sajaki wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:Apple sold it’s one millionth iPad on Friday, 28 days after it’s release. In contrast, it took Apple 74 days to sell 1 million iPhones.

I had no clue that it would be anywhere near as popular as the iPhone, let alone more popular... I can’t believe a million people found it useful already. :shock:
it's a succes because Apple actually tapped into a new market... not for superusers, gamers, computer savvy people, but plain jane data consumers, people who maybe have a pc and now use perhaps 10% of its capabilities, like browsing, chatting, vids, that sort of thing. you know, the type that mistook ReadWriteWeb for Facebook. ;)
It's more a success because they removed just about every possibly "advanced" feature and made it so it only did a few things.
Sure, it may be really easy to use, but it is only good for trivial use. I'd rather use a laptop or even a netbook instead, it'd be far cheaper with a lot more capabilities...and dictator Jobs can't tell me what the hell I can and can't do.
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 17287
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Fishkill, NY
Name: David Colón
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by DavidIQ »

Desdenova wrote:Meanwhile, I'll be having some fun on my open source Operating System, playing with some open source games that were totally free[...]
I bet you can multi-task and use Flash as well! :lol:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Desdenova
Registered User
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Desdenova »

DavidIQ wrote:
Desdenova wrote:Meanwhile, I'll be having some fun on my open source Operating System, playing with some open source games that were totally free[...]
I bet you can multi-task and use Flash as well! :lol:
Oh, that was implied.
User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by god0fgod »

In related news, Apple has overtaken Microsoft in Market Capitalisation. Basically that means investors find Apple to be worth more than Microsoft.
User avatar
somnambul
Registered User
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 9:25 am
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Apple iPad

Post by somnambul »

Desdenova wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:I don't really like the idea of Apple telling us what we can and can't watch or read or see on the iPad. Who knew that Steve Jobs would be Big Brother?
And people are worried about Google and Microsoft. :lol:

Meanwhile, I'll be having some fun on my open source Operating System, playing with some open source games that were totally free instead of being a sucker for Apple fanboi products^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wnot saving money so I can keep paying for my college education and worrying about what our Master, Steve Jobs, thinks of what I should be allowed to run on my machine.
Sajaki wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:Apple sold it’s one millionth iPad on Friday, 28 days after it’s release. In contrast, it took Apple 74 days to sell 1 million iPhones.

I had no clue that it would be anywhere near as popular as the iPhone, let alone more popular... I can’t believe a million people found it useful already. :shock:
it's a succes because Apple actually tapped into a new market... not for superusers, gamers, computer savvy people, but plain jane data consumers, people who maybe have a pc and now use perhaps 10% of its capabilities, like browsing, chatting, vids, that sort of thing. you know, the type that mistook ReadWriteWeb for Facebook. ;)
It's more a success because they removed just about every possibly "advanced" feature and made it so it only did a few things.
Sure, it may be really easy to use, but it is only good for trivial use. I'd rather use a laptop or even a netbook instead, it'd be far cheaper with a lot more capabilities...and dictator Jobs can't tell me what the hell I can and can't do.
Desdenova I quite agree with you. iPad certainly is very beautiful and comfortable but for now remains merely an adornment and not as powerful and functional job-device.

- 9.7 IPS display
- 0.5 inches thin
- 1GHz processor Apple A4
- 16-64 GB Flash Memory
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth,
- Accelerometer, compass
- 10 hours of battery life

Nothing especially!
User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by keith10456 »

god0fgod wrote:In related news, Apple has overtaken Microsoft in Market Capitalisation. Basically that means investors find Apple to be worth more than Microsoft.
Yeah... Definitely one of the biggest turn-arounds in tech history!
User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by callumacrae »

god0fgod wrote:In related news, Apple has overtaken Microsoft in Market Capitalisation. Basically that means investors find Apple to be worth more than Microsoft.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D

~Callum
User avatar
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Name: David Lewis
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Highway of Life »

somnambul wrote:Desdenova I quite agree with you. iPad certainly is very beautiful and comfortable but for now remains merely an adornment and not as powerful and functional job-device.
Over $546,000,000 says over 1 million people disagreed with you inside of a month.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”