Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri May 28, 2010 4:23 am

Highway of Life wrote:
somnambul wrote:Desdenova I quite agree with you. iPad certainly is very beautiful and comfortable but for now remains merely an adornment and not as powerful and functional job-device.
Over $546,000,000 says over 1 million people disagreed with you inside of a month.
No it doesn't. The statistic of how many people purchased the device says absolutely nothing about why they purchased it. Without more information you cannot draw a conclusion either way. For example, it is possible that the people were specifically looking for "an adornment and not as powerful and functional job-device", in which case somnambul's statement would be perfectly accurate.

Maybe the buyers didn't care about functionality at all and just focused on size or something else.
Maybe having less functionality would have actually boosted sales.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Fri May 28, 2010 5:40 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:
somnambul wrote:Desdenova I quite agree with you. iPad certainly is very beautiful and comfortable but for now remains merely an adornment and not as powerful and functional job-device.
Over $546,000,000 says over 1 million people disagreed with you inside of a month.
No it doesn't. The statistic of how many people purchased the device says absolutely nothing about why they purchased it. Without more information you cannot draw a conclusion either way. For example, it is possible that the people were specifically looking for "an adornment and not as powerful and functional job-device", in which case somnambul's statement would be perfectly accurate.

Maybe the buyers didn't care about functionality at all and just focused on size or something else.
Maybe having less functionality would have actually boosted sales.
I agree that sales/profit doesn't make the product any good. I mean, look at Windows and IE.

~Callum

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri May 28, 2010 6:06 am

Callum95 wrote:I agree that sales/profit doesn't make the product any good.
That's actually entirely unrelated to what I said.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Fri May 28, 2010 6:34 am

The statistic of how many people purchased the device says absolutely nothing about why they purchased it.
I'm skim reading again :/ Nearly read the right thing though :D

~Callum

Saldash
Name: Stuart Jackson

Post by Saldash » Sun May 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Well.. hype aside there has been much talk coming out of the states that the iPad has some downfalls..
and the big one that concerns me most is the rumours of "..quite frankly disgraceful Wifi signal reception.."

I'd say a good 90% of my tech is wireless and my day to day travels require this..
My iPod Touch works seamlessly across all the wifi spots I use everyday, and I would expect at least the same if not better from a larger and (for us Brits) more expensive device.

I'f it's wireless capability is sub-standard then there would be no point in getting one for me..

Do we have any folks across the pond who have one that could comment on the wireless performance or are the rumours I am hearing just that and to be ignored..

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 pm

Look like they've sold their 2.000.000th iPad in under 60 days (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/31ipad.html). I'm personally still not sure about the device but looks like a lot of people disagree with me ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Saldash

Post by Saldash » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Erik Frèrejean wrote:Look like they've sold their 2.000.000th iPad in under 60 days (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/05/31ipad.html). I'm personally still not sure about the device but looks like a lot of people disagree with me ;).
Nothing but hype in my opinion..
I still challenge any MCC retailer / Apple Genius to prove to me that my iPad will work faultlessly out of the box first time.. as seldom do I buy goods that are prone to developing faults.

So if they really want my hard-earned.. they will have to sweat it out under a torrent of questions first. :twisted:

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:01 am

Saldash wrote:Nothing but hype in my opinion..
I still challenge any MCC retailer / Apple Genius to prove to me that my iPad will work faultlessly out of the box first time.. as seldom do I buy goods that are prone to developing faults.

So if they really want my hard-earned.. they will have to sweat it out under a torrent of questions first. :twisted:
Well, you're not going to get past the activation screen "out of the box", but I assume that's not what you meant. No company can assure you that their products will work out of the box. I've encountered DOA HDDs, screens, DVDs and even torn printer paper (just recently). So I don't think that's a fair standard to set for anything.

Especially when there are so many better reasons to find the iPad pointless and potentially harmful to the future of the technology market (I am referring to its closed nature). Numbers don't lie however, and as long as Apple is able to sell 2 million of a new product in the first 60 days, they definitely won't care what I think. If anything, it will continue to reinforce their business practices.

Saldash

Post by Saldash » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:.. and as long as Apple is able to sell 2 million of a new product in the first 60 days, they definitely won't care what I think. If anything, it will continue to reinforce their business practices.
Too right.. as long as they are making money, they are no likely to care very much at all.. a big disappointment I must say. Also, you mentioned the iPad being "closed" - Whilst I do understand what you mean, I am uncertain that being a "closed" product means it will have a harmful effect on the future. I for one welcome this type of "closure" on a mobile device such as the iPad, it means less to go wrong and less troubleshooting.

On the otherhand, the open nature of linux, Android, and windows means that it can be widely developed for.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Apple believes that the iPad is the first step to the future of computer design and they're absolutely correct. As I've always said, one thing that Apple does well is intuitive interface design for the average consumer (although I personally find it restrictive). The iPad's interface removes an additional layer between you and whatever you're working on; no need for a mouse or some other control device, just move it to wherever it needs to go.

While its feature set is currently very limited, this will change with future revisions and similar devices will cover more and more of what most people do with their home computers. Other companies will copy the idea and the industry will shift around to include such devices in the mainstream (much like it did for smartphones). In the best case scenario, consumers will avoid the iPad (and other closed systems) and instead go for open alternatives that provide more control.
Saldash wrote:Whilst I do understand what you mean, I am uncertain that being a "closed" product means it will have a harmful effect on the future. I for one welcome this type of "closure" on a mobile device such as the iPad, it means less to go wrong and less troubleshooting.
That's a pretty scary statement, and exactly why I think such closed systems are harmful to the market. It's perfectly natural that anytime you limit what people can do with something, you're going to end up with more stability.

Take your car to a closed circular track, secure the steering wheel so that you can only drive around in a circle and push the pedal down to a constant slow speed. As long as you have a steady supply of gasoline, the car will run indefinitely until there are mechanical (hardware) problems. Perfect stability. Now you need to purchase gas, but the owners of the track don't allow other companies to bring gas in from the outside; you have to buy it from them with a 50% markup. Enjoy the perfect stability.

Imagine if this "get your content from us or nobody at all" mentality spread to other items. Sony television could only play content sent from Sony, your pens could only write on paper licensed by the pens' brand, etc. On the bright side, the brand could absolutely guarantee that their pens would not smudge on the $20.00 paper you would be forced to buy.

Saldash

Post by Saldash » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:Apple believes that the iPad is the first step to the future of computer design and they're absolutely correct. As I've always said, one thing that Apple does well is intuitive interface design for the average consumer (although I personally find it restrictive). The iPad's interface removes an additional layer between you and whatever you're working on; no need for a mouse or some other control device, just move it to wherever it needs to go.
I agree 100% with this, and is why I want one.
Marshalrusty wrote:While its feature set is currently very limited, this will change with future revisions and similar devices will cover more and more of what most people do with their home computers. Other companies will copy the idea and the industry will shift around to include such devices in the mainstream (much like it did for smartphones). In the best case scenario, consumers will avoid the iPad (and other closed systems) and instead go for open alternatives that provide more control.
Saldash wrote:Whilst I do understand what you mean, I am uncertain that being a "closed" product means it will have a harmful effect on the future. I for one welcome this type of "closure" on a mobile device such as the iPad, it means less to go wrong and less troubleshooting.
That's a pretty scary statement, and exactly why I think such closed systems are harmful to the market. It's perfectly natural that anytime you limit what people can do with something, you're going to end up with more stability.

Take your car to a closed circular track, secure the steering wheel so that you can only drive around in a circle and push the pedal down to a constant slow speed. As long as you have a steady supply of gasoline, the car will run indefinitely until there are mechanical (hardware) problems. Perfect stability. Now you need to purchase gas, but the owners of the track don't allow other companies to bring gas in from the outside; you have to buy it from them with a 50% markup. Enjoy the perfect stability.

Imagine if this "get your content from us or nobody at all" mentality spread to other items. Sony television could only play content sent from Sony, your pens could only write on paper licensed by the pens' brand, etc. On the bright side, the brand could absolutely guarantee that their pens would not smudge on the $20.00 paper you would be forced to buy.
I guess I hadn't thought about it in that context before, which you are absolutely right.
Personally, with dodgy wifi aside, the iPad ticks all the right boxes for me.
I don't want much more than what the iPad already offers, and with iWorks and its capability to export and import from MS Office types, it means happy days for me.. I realise that it wont be the case for everyone - But I'm happy with it as it is.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 pm

2 Million... I thought the device was cool, but not THAT cool... I’m frankly shocked. Apple is doing it again. The iPod, and now the iPad. I’ve been following MasterZ's reports on the iPad, he says it’s the best portable device he's ever purchased. Google is running very short on time to release their version. The market is being flooded again by a device from Apple who created it first (like the iPod), and the competitors are going to have a hard time catching up the longer it takes them to complete their product.
I think the Nexus, Droid, and other Android phones are much easier for competitors because Apple went exclusively with AT&T. The number one reason consumers do not purchase the iPhone is because they don’t want to be on the AT&T network. So competing smartphones still have a very good market. I fear that will not be the case so much with the iPad.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Saldash

Post by Saldash » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Can we get AT&T in the UK?
Anyway, it wont be long before Apple start offering other network support.

I'm keeping my eye on the Nokia vs Apple fight over titbit of tech that apple supposedly stole the idea for..

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Highway of Life wrote: I fear that will not be the case so much with the iPad.
I should also mention that AT&T is restructuring their data plans to remove the possibility for having unlimited data. Hope nobody was counting on that.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 am

Desdenova wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: I fear that will not be the case so much with the iPad.
I should also mention that AT&T is restructuring their data plans to remove the possibility for having unlimited data. Hope nobody was counting on that.
2GB is frankly a lot of data to move on a device that one does not use for downloading large applications/files, etc, particularly when Wifi is easily available for downloading larger applications (you'd be a fool to try to download anything of any size on AT&T's 3G network, anyway).
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Return to “General Discussion”