Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:58 am

iWisdom wrote:2GB is frankly a lot of data to move on a device that one does not use for downloading large applications/files, etc, particularly when Wifi is easily available for downloading larger applications (you'd be a fool to try to download anything of any size on AT&T's 3G network, anyway).
Only ~65MB per day. If all you do is check your email, then you're not going to hit any limits. If you regularly stream music/video to your phone, then 2GB can go by really quickly. You may not do this every day, but there might be a situation where you have to kill a bunch of time and I don't want to be thinking about the limit. Even if you use 50MB for each of 11 months, you'll still be changed extra on the 12th if you go over.

In any case, as of 2 days ago, I'm officially done with at&t (switched to Verizon). So far, I've transferred 8,325.8KB, which is barely anything. I have not, however, had a chance to set up video/audio streaming from my server, so have no idea how that's going to affect things.

The way I see it, mobile data plans are expensive enough already. at&t themselves admit that 98% of their customers are below the 2GB limit, so I cannot imagine the other 2% causing any serious strain on the network. They just recognize that data usage isn't going to decrease anytime soon and that a tiered system is more profitable in the long run. It's now $25 for 2GB. Want more? How about 5GB for $35 or 10GB for $50. I just hope other providers don't follow as that would be the opposite of where competitive markets should be going.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
Phil
Former Team Member
Posts: 10403
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am
Name: Phil Crumm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Phil » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:10 am

That also assumes the average user has the intent or desire to stream large amounts of music or video. As I'm sure you know the iPhone (and the iPad) are both fully functional audio and video players (their native syncing app is at its root a music application), so I'm not really sure why anyone would have the desire to do it frequently anyway. On top of that, I've not once encountered 3G speeds that were fast enough to make me not regret trying to stream media.

I am not saying a 2GB data cap is a good policy or even reasonable, however I do think that for 95% of iPhone/iPad users it will not be an issue. The other 5% will either migrate to another provider/platform (as you have) or adapt and deal with it, unfortunately.

I should also disclose that I recently (~10 days ago) migrated the opposite direction (Droid/Verizon to iPhone/AT&T) and can still take advantage of their unlimited data plan.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Desdenova
Registered User
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Desdenova » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:57 am

iWisdom wrote:
Desdenova wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: I fear that will not be the case so much with the iPad.
I should also mention that AT&T is restructuring their data plans to remove the possibility for having unlimited data. Hope nobody was counting on that.
2GB is frankly a lot of data to move on a device that one does not use for downloading large applications/files, etc, particularly when Wifi is easily available for downloading larger applications (you'd be a fool to try to download anything of any size on AT&T's 3G network, anyway).
2GB is pennies on the dollar for them; AT&T can afford the unlimited data plan, it's just cutting into their profits a smidge more than it used to, so now they're deciding they want to squeeze a few dollars more out of their customers.

The problem here isn't of the current actions, it is of the chain of events that may follow; you never know, AT&T may jack up rates again in a year and try to squeeze even more money out of consumers.

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by callumacrae » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:37 am

Apple seem to be very good at crippling networks.

~Callum

realizment
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:16 am

Re: Apple iPad

Post by realizment » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:10 am

Callum95 wrote:Apple seem to be very good at crippling networks.

~Callum

Yea, the changes AT&T made just for them, :shock:

User avatar
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Spokane, WA
Name: David Lewis
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:02 am

AT&T's network was bad before the iPhone, and it’s not any better now.

Back in 2007, Verizon used to have an 'unlimited' data plan, but it was actually a 5GB/month limit (stated in their TOS). They finally did change the plan to say 5GB/month. When I lived in Texas for several months, I monitored my bandwidth usage each month. I didn’t get DSL or cable internet for my apartment, so I did all of my home internet activity over the Verizon network on my Macbook Pro. Most of the time I used about 3 GB of bandwidth per month, if I decided to watch streaming videos (via Joost), that obviously ate it up pretty quickly. But a 5GB limit was fine to handle for most of what I did. It's certainly going to be more a lot more network activity than most people will do on a smartphone or iPhone.

But like text messaging, the networks are making a killing off of our habits. They are raking in huge profits because their operational costs for those data plans are minimal compared to what we end up paying. Yuriy said it well, network plans are expensive enough as it is, and the cost of operation is only getting cheaper for them, AT&T is certainly moving in the opposite direction networks should be moving in.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by keith10456 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Highway of Life wrote:... But like text messaging, the networks are making a killing off of our habits. They are raking in huge profits because their operational costs for those data plans are minimal compared to what we end up paying. Yuriy said it well, network plans are expensive enough as it is, and the cost of operation is only getting cheaper for them, AT&T is certainly moving in the opposite direction networks should be moving in.
I agree 100% !

You can always count on the telcoms to yank every nickle, dime and penny then can from us (and then some). Think back to the Internet before AOL came with the unlimited plan? They were making a killing!!! AT&T want to return to the glory days ($$$).

They're on borrowed time though... As soon as Boost Mobile, Metro PCS, etc, get a decent smartphone (well one that's comparable to the iPhone) AT&T and Verizon are in trouble. And/or if the Boost Mobiles of the world start offering a data plan for tablets.

Right now companies like Boost Mobile offer "real" unlimited plans (phone, text and Internet) for $60 and under per month. I'll be remiss if I didn't mention companies like Optimum that offer free WiFi, etc.

That being said, the days of AT&T ripping us off are going to come to an end soon enough ;)

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by keith10456 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:17 pm

Apple set-up a special section on their website touting "open-standards" and html 5. The ironic thing is the only way to view the special section is with Apple's Safari browser (no other browser will work). How "open" is that?!

Typical Apple :!:

http://www.apple.com/html5/

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by callumacrae » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:18 pm

keith10456 wrote:Apple set-up a special section on their website touting "open-standards" and html 5. The ironic thing is the only way to view the special section is with Apple's Safari browser (no other browser will work). How "open" is that?!

Typical Apple :!:

http://www.apple.com/html5/
Firefox supports some of it.

I think it's more "Typical MS, they DON'T support it", actually.

~Callum

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Marshalrusty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:38 pm

keith10456 wrote:They're on borrowed time though... As soon as Boost Mobile, Metro PCS, etc, get a decent smartphone (well one that's comparable to the iPhone) AT&T and Verizon are in trouble. And/or if the Boost Mobiles of the world start offering a data plan for tablets.

Right now companies like Boost Mobile offer "real" unlimited plans (phone, text and Internet) for $60 and under per month. I'll be remiss if I didn't mention companies like Optimum that offer free WiFi, etc.

That being said, the days of AT&T ripping us off are going to come to an end soon enough ;)
If these ever became serious competition, they would just be acquired by one of the existing 4 companies.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by keith10456 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Callum95 wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Apple set-up a special section on their website touting "open-standards" and html 5. The ironic thing is the only way to view the special section is with Apple's Safari browser (no other browser will work). How "open" is that?!

Typical Apple :!:

http://www.apple.com/html5/
Firefox supports some of it.

I think it's more "Typical MS, they DON'T support it", actually.

~Callum
I opened the page in FF (see the link I posted)... Upon clicking one of the sections (Video, Gallery, etc.) you receive a message stating you have to have Safari installed.

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by callumacrae » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:36 pm

keith10456 wrote:
Callum95 wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Apple set-up a special section on their website touting "open-standards" and html 5. The ironic thing is the only way to view the special section is with Apple's Safari browser (no other browser will work). How "open" is that?!

Typical Apple :!:

http://www.apple.com/html5/
Firefox supports some of it.

I think it's more "Typical MS, they DON'T support it", actually.

~Callum
I opened the page in FF (see the link I posted)... Upon clicking one of the sections (Video, Gallery, etc.) you receive a message stating you have to have Safari installed.
:/

It's possible. I just spent ages making a html5 site (only shadows and curves in css3 though). I dunno what I'm going to do about IE.

~Callum

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Marshalrusty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Wow, that's definitely something. So even "standard" markup is now proprietary :)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
god0fgod
Registered User
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by god0fgod » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Most of the HTML5 demos on Apple's website work in Chrome. I tested it after changing the user-agent header. It's stupid Apple is trying to restrict the browsers.

User avatar
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Spokane, WA
Name: David Lewis
Contact:

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Indeed, since Safari and Chrome are built on the same webkit engine, they are just being idiots. Rather infuriating, actually.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”