Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Desdenova

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Desdenova » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 pm

It's just a cleaner comparison between the netbooks and the iFad, pricewise. :P

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Well to be honest, for me the iPad won't do. It does not have the featureset that I would require from a device which I carry with me, while a laptop does fulfill these requirements.

However, I could see potential for someone/body like my parents.
The only thing my mother does, is browse the World wide web, send and read e-mail and do some text editing occasionally in word.

For her, this would be a good machine, as it can do those things, is much easier to carry around within the house(for example use it while in front of the TV) and it's easy to use.

So there probably is a good market for this device, however only time will tell if it is going to be a hit.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:
god0fgod wrote:It's not very heavy so it wont give cramp I think.

One thing that would be interesting is if it could hook up to automated home systems and therefore be used as a home controller using applications made for it.
That would be interesting, but I intend to use Linux for that. Cheaper (read: free) to both obtain and develop for, since Apple requires that dev tax thing, there's already toolkits to handle touchscreens for Linux, and those toolkits are free as well. :P So ... while I think you have a good idea, there's cheaper solutions out there.
Cheaper but the quality wont be as good, wont have the Apple appeal and wont contain the features which allow the device to be more versatile.

Many tablet PCs don't look very nice. The iPad doesn't have any issue with style.

You can get home automation applications for the iPhone and iPod touch, which is what sparked this thought. The iPad, being larger, is better suited to control home functions.

I thought Apple didn't charge for non-commercial applications?

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:01 pm

god0fgod wrote:Cheaper but the quality wont be as good, wont have the Apple appeal and wont contain the features which allow the device to be more versatile.

Many tablet PCs don't look very nice. The iPad doesn't have any issue with style.
For most consumers, style is a very minor consideration when buying a tool. As it stands, that is pretty much all the iFad has going for it...the lack of an ability to multitask is where it will fall behind. If you can't switch between several running applications on a computer (and that is what this is), you cannot compare.
god0fgod wrote:You can get home automation applications for the iPhone and iPod touch, which is what sparked this thought. The iPad, being larger, is better suited to control home functions.
So it's a giant remote control, then. I simply must get one, now!

Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Desdenova wrote:So it's a giant remote control, then. I simply must get one, now!
Yup me too.. Way harder to loose this one in the couch... but then again if you accidently sit on it.. well I'll guess you need to buy another one.. and then the pricing comes into play.. $400 for a giant remote.. (in the netherlands) well sorry but I'm then better off buying thins one...

Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:50 pm

People buy unstylish laptops because they put them away when no using them. The iPad is something you are more likely to carry around, store in visible areas and show to people. Hence styling is important, I think.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Desdenova wrote:So it's a giant remote control, then. I simply must get one, now!
ROTFL
god0fgod wrote:People buy unstylish laptops because they put them away when no using them. The iPad is something you are more likely to carry around, store in visible areas and show to people. Hence styling is important, I think.
My MacBook Air is pretty stylish and hanging around everywhere in my house ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEiUlf9BAYU

@ the end of that video Steve's like, it's better then a laptop. :lol:
Yeah, I guess if it were like 100 bucks.. but the starting price is $499.
My acer 4630z cost me $437 (tax/shipping included)

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:17 pm

god0fgod wrote:People buy unstylish laptops because they put them away when no using them. The iPad is something you are more likely to carry around, store in visible areas and show to people. Hence styling is important, I think.
So then basically it's being sold for rich idiots to impress other rich idiots with (or in other terms, a status symbol). Clever.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey, yet another Apple product I won't be buying :D

I'm not sure where this fits in for someone who owns a desktop (or a desktop replacement), a portable notebook and a smartphone.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:41 am

god0fgod wrote:The iPad is something you are more likely to carry around, store in visible areas and show to people.
That's going to get expensive, as they go walkies.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:32 am

ToonArmy wrote:
god0fgod wrote:The iPad is something you are more likely to carry around, store in visible areas and show to people.
That's going to get expensive, as they go walkies.
Hey, if they grow legs, not my fault. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 am

It's strange in a sense.. Apple is inventing stuff that kinda already exsists.
In a few years I can see them selling monitors that broadcast shows... but with a twist -- you can change the channle with touch-screen. :roll:

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 am

Peter77sx wrote:It's strange in a sense.. Apple is inventing stuff that kinda already exsists.
In a few years I can see them selling monitors that broadcast shows... but with a twist -- you can change the channle with touch-screen. :roll:
Hey, I would buy it if it literally broadcast shows :lol:
I certainly wouldn't mind an easy way to get the output of my computer screen on to my TV screen wirelessly.
Customisations Team Member

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Desdenova wrote:
So then basically it's being sold for rich idiots to impress other rich idiots with (or in other terms, a status symbol). Clever.
You've got the idea! :D

Return to “General Discussion”