Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Peter77sx wrote:It's strange in a sense.. Apple is inventing stuff that kinda already exsists.
In a few years I can see them selling monitors that broadcast shows... but with a twist -- you can change the channle with touch-screen. :roll:
I'ts called the apple tv, although that one (still) works without touchscreen ;). And they have been building monitors for long++.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Desdenova wrote:For most consumers, style is a very minor consideration when buying a tool.
Not for the majority of people that buy apple. Style is all they care about.
Eric

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:47 pm

my biggest beef is why didn't they put OS X on it? now it's got some watered-down, closed up system on which you only can install "apps" from the Apple store. way to close it up. If you've ever watched Stargate, they're all lugging around beefy pads with an advanced Os. i kinda was hoping for that ;)

IanSn

Post by IanSn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 pm

There's a general trend going on here. Not least that the marketing people and their apps are sniffing more money, but there is a call for something that's not a laptop.

(Why are they called laptops - you can't put 'em on your lap, it blocks the air-vents)

Laptops have much more functionality than most folks actually use. Sure, if you need more, get a laptop.

Think iPad is just the beginning of something that will become a standard feature of everyone's life in a few years. Comms and entertainment in one. Don't knock something that looks cool, just coz it looks cool!

Maybe it is just a little too big though. And the cost of airtime.

lamp_abi

Post by lamp_abi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:05 am

I have read a lot of tweets from techie people who aren't raving about the iPad. They said there is nothing to rave about it, some even saying there's nothing new about it and rather, it has been done before. What do you think ?

Webber9
Name: Jack Palmer

Post by Webber9 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I surprises by reading "Battery (non-removable)", then what when it will come to replacement.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Webber9 wrote:I surprises by reading "Battery (non-removable)", then what when it will come to replacement.
Send it to Apple, like the iPhone and iPod and i*. Apple likes ignoring a battery cover for some reason.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 pm

With no removable battery, Apple doesn't need to create visible battery compartments and hence the style is improved with tight seals. It's also more rigid that way.

But it is an excuse to make more money.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 am

god0fgod wrote:With no removable battery, Apple doesn't need to create visible battery compartments and hence the style is improved with tight seals. It's also more rigid that way.

But it is an excuse to make more money.
Tight seals like the one where my iPod Touch screen is lifting out? 8-)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:Tight seals like the one where my iPod Touch screen is lifting out?
Maybe if you inquisitive techie-types weren't always prying on stuff for a peek even in your sleep, things like that wouldn't happen. :P
We should talk less, and say more.

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:
Webber9 wrote:I surprises by reading "Battery (non-removable)", then what when it will come to replacement.
Send it to Apple, like the iPhone and iPod and i*. Apple likes ignoring a battery cover for some reason.
I don't know if this is an EU or Dutch law, but that says that batteries of electronic devices have to be easy to replace. There was also some discussion when the law was activated whether or not the iPhone would be allowed to be sold.

html-n-beyond

Post by html-n-beyond » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:13 am

I have an iPod Touch 8GB. I love it. However, I generally despise Macintrash and their marketing strategies. Their products are cool, sure, but so are Sony's and Dell's (think the new Sony O-LED TV's/VAIO notebooks and Alienware gaming laptops/PC's...) and they have the added bonus of...FUNCTIONALITY+COST EFFECTIVENESS! Apple will always be a leader in the MP3 player market, but they'll always straggle behind when it comes to computing, Television, and things that matter most to middle-class consumers.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm

"they'll always straggle behind when it comes to computing"

I can't find proper statistics for recent market share but I have seen about various places that Apple comes in the top 5 PC manufactures a lot. "Straggle" is very harsh indeed considering that.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 am

The iPad is a cool idea... but it's usefulness could be limited for the common user. It could see broader usefulness in the enterprise market. But the iPad certainly has some downfalls. Limited ports, no multi-tasking like the iPod touch and iPhone, no webcam. Still, despite some of it's downfalls, it seems to be an impressive device. From some reviewers, who say that it is amazingly fast. There are a couple of things that it would need to do before I would want to purchase one:
1) I would want to be able to use it like a Wacom Tablet - with a pen, not your finger. With this functionality, it would kick butt over any other Wacom Tablet out there. - And much cheaper.
2) Networking with other computers. I don't know if it can do this or not, but some reviews question it's ability to do so.

I am looking forward to perhaps a Google pad counterpart running the Android OS...

--------
html-n-beyond wrote:I generally despise Macintrash
[...]
but they'll always straggle behind when it comes to computing
Spoken like a true PC Fanboy with no facts to backup such statements. :) Perhaps you missed the Mac computer marketshare rapidly gaining on it's competitors?
Okay, not everyone want's the Ferrari of computers, I get that. Most people buy Toyotas, Fords, etc. Nothing wrong with those cars. It's just that some of us wouldn't settle for anything less than the Ferrari of Computers. :) - Although ironically, I do not own iPhone, iPod, or iPod Touch. I'd rather get the Google Nexus (and plan to as soon as it’s released to Verizon), but it has nothing to do with it being cheaper than the iPhone, I know it's slower than the iPhone, less elegant, but it appears to be more useful. For me, the Mac is a more useful computer as well.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:13 pm

battye wrote:Don't really like the name....
:lol: First time i Heard about it It was on Youtube.. I honestly thought it was a joke.
A good name would be iPalm..

Fanboys are really trying to push this thing.. I have my doubts about it.. I can't see people actually using this in public.

Return to “General Discussion”