Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Desdenova

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Desdenova » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Green Light wrote:
battye wrote:Don't really like the name....
:lol: First time i Heard about it It was on Youtube.. I honestly thought it was a joke.
A good name would be iPalm..

Fanboys are really trying to push this thing.. I have my doubts about it.. I can't see people actually using this in public.
Ooh, iPalm? I can take that one step further: the iFacepalm.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:14 am

:roll: anything but pad cause that reminds me of something woman use.. which is exactly why i thought it was a joke.. :lol:

soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I might just get an iPad for the Marvel Comics app :ugeek:
// brian

.Victor

Post by .Victor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 pm

The iPad is a wonderful thing, but it's very expansive! I'll don't buy it :)

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:05 am

LOL, wonderful thing.. I was watching CNN today there was a review.. It's stupid.. I mean I couldn't stop laughing when I watched how many people bought the thing.. Not able to print,, no cam, it's expensive as hell.. and it does less than a notebook... It is seriously a itouch stretched out.. Get a damn notebook..

I'll be mad as hell if I start seeing people with this thing outside.. :twisted:

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:22 pm

I still think the bigest advantage it has, is the fact you can hold it in your hands much more easier than a laptop. The touch screen also gives a very different experience.

Comkid

Post by Comkid » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:42 pm

If you like touch screens so badly, get a tablet laptop :P

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:11 pm

god0fgod wrote:I still think the bigest advantage it has, is the fact you can hold it in your hands much more easier than a laptop. The touch screen also gives a very different experience.
Yeah right.. The rep was showing how easy it was, he ended up bringing up the keyboard a few times accidentally. In a matter of like 3 mins..

I don't care if people buy this crap, just as long as they don't say it's better than a laptop.. Just don't try and get me to purchase this..

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:07 pm

From what I have seen on the tv in the last few days, it is not meant to replace the laptop.
It will have a very specific market. If you need to be able to create content, then it is not for you.

If you want to consume content then it looks like a pretty neat gadget to me.

I doubt that I will ever buy one. I don't even have a laptop because I can't work on one. I need a large monitor and a full size/ ergonomic keyboard to be able to do my work.

robert

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:45 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:From what I have seen on the tv in the last few days, it is not meant to replace the laptop.
It will have a very specific market. If you need to be able to create content, then it is not for you.

If you want to consume content then it looks like a pretty neat gadget to me.

I doubt that I will ever buy one. I don't even have a laptop because I can't work on one. I need a large monitor and a full size/ ergonomic keyboard to be able to do my work.

robert
i know exactly what you mean by the full ergonomic keyboard.. I keep hitting the touchpad and start typing on another line of code.. very annoying.. but when I'm at work I use whatever i have..

If you take the $ to things it does.. and compare it to a laptop it's pretty dumb to spend more than a laptop on it. Steve jobs is always comparing it's features to a laptop.. saying the web experience is far greater than on a laptop.. because you could actually see the whole page and work it with your fingers.. (even though the resolution is small)
I don't mind pressing the down arrow.. so.. yea.

Anyone with a brain would go for a laptop than an iPad because the iPad has touch capabilities.
A laptop is great for viewing pictures, videos, movies, playing games, office, email, music, etc.
So I don't see how it's any better than a laptop, it can't even print.. I don't see any real pros..
Except for the touch screen, but other than that, it's a tablet computer that is really expensive.

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 am

Green Light wrote:Steve jobs is always comparing it's features to a laptop..
PC laptops can right click, though, so it's hardly a fair comparison.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 am

I just had the opportunity to try the iPad out yesterday... OH MY GOSH!!! That thing is an ingenious invention. It’s responsive, it’s fast, it’s snappy, it works in the way life feels like it should work, it’s so intuitive that there is absolutely no learning curve at all. Such a polished piece of hardware, I had no idea it would respond like it did. And the screen is amazing. But what I loved most about it is that I feel like all electronics should respond the way the iPad does, I’d love to be able to interact with my computer with my fingers instead of using a mouse or trackpad, it felt like the virtual world became physical with this thing. I thought the keyboard would be challenging like the iPhone, but it’s not... it’s actually big enough that you can type pretty quickly on it. I told my brother, if we got one of those, you would want to find any excuse just to play with it, it’s so nice to browse the internet and interact with. I didn’t have a lot of time to go through all the apps, but I loved the way the apps interfaced with the iPad.

The screen is nice and big, it feels like you are holding a HD TV in your hands, everything is crystal clear and bright, text is so nice to read on this thing, it would actually make me want to read books (and I’m not much of a book reader), for the musicians, it could make a good piece to take with you to gigs, instead of the giant binders full of music, you could pull up any piece in your library, that would make for those “play freebird!” requests possible.

You probably don’t want to write a book or type very long e-mails on this thing, as nice and big as the keyboard is, it’s still not going to replace a full-size physical keyboard with plenty of space for your fingers. It would be great for consuming a lot of content on, and interacting with data and information, but I don’t think we’ll see a serious Photoshop type of application on this, but it would be great for finger artists to try painting with it.

I didn’t try any movies, but I’d love to try it, I have a 17” laptop and it’s great for serious work, but sometimes you don’t want to pull out a full-size laptop to look something up, with the iPad, you could walk around the Mall and interact with it while shopping, you wouldn’t want to (and obviously don’t) do that with a Laptop, but it could change the way a lot of people work, especially those who want something bigger than a smartphone, but more portable than a laptop.

It’s not going to replace laptops, it’s much too different, you can’t do the things on a laptop that you can do on the iPad, and vise-versa. For a lot of people, I don’t think the iPad will replace their laptop, but that depends on what they do with it. If you mostly read e-mails, view content, and read books, then yes, an iPad would probably be a much better option. If you do a lot of programming, photoshop, etc, you want a laptop.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 am

My sense is that the place to watch for iPad impact among ordinary consumers is in the netbook market, broadly speaking. People who are cloud-centric and/or loved their iPod touch will be in a good position to mainstream the iPad. Assuming I haven't got it all wrong (just for the sake of discussion :) ) it'll be interesting to see if that market will be iPad's chief stomping grounds or its jumping-off point.
We should talk less, and say more.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 am

As said, it's not meant to replace a laptop.

It's access to the internet for people who don't want the hassle of a full computer.

I didn't get it at first but I do now. If I was loaded I'd have one just for picking up and checking mail or web sites. I don't think it's for people who like to do a lot of writing on forums or blogs but as a quick and easy surfing tool it's perfect. My mum would love it. She has a PC but doesn't like all the menus and options and left and right clicks. She would love just touching what she wants to open.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:I don't think it's for people who like to do a lot of writing on forums or blogs but as a quick and easy surfing tool it's perfect.
I suspect at some point we'll see the Dictaphone approach to blogs, forums, etc. overtake the keyboard. Imagine having to use the keyboard only for clean-up work ... imagine voice control ... just plain imagine.

Pre-iPad, tablet computing was still pretty much a traditional computing experience--with the important exception of handwriting recognition. But that could all change. Either Apple has been scrounging the bottom end of the barrel for a new product idea or they're building a platform for something beyond iPad 1G. Give the app developers time to make the transition, give the market time to think (e.g., see what happens to e-reader sales, especially the Kindle), and then raise the bar accordingly when you have your customer and market data in hand. Or not. We'll see. :)
We should talk less, and say more.

Return to “General Discussion”