Apple iPad

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Re: Apple iPad

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:28 pm

My wife mostly uses the computer for E-mail and surfing, so I could see her really enjoying a switch to an iPad. Unfortunately, the other thing she likes to use the computer for is The Sims.

Besides, there's the whole price issue.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:As said, it's not meant to replace a laptop.

It's access to the internet for people who don't want the hassle of a full computer.

I didn't get it at first but I do now. If I was loaded I'd have one just for picking up and checking mail or web sites. I don't think it's for people who like to do a lot of writing on forums or blogs but as a quick and easy surfing tool it's perfect. My mum would love it. She has a PC but doesn't like all the menus and options and left and right clicks. She would love just touching what she wants to open.
If we were loaded, but it's a recession. So now we're all pretty much broke.
Windows 7 has touch screen capabilities. Besides that, we're already lazy as is.. next we'll be doing things by just looking at it.. look real hard at a folder and it opens.. close your eyes and it closes.. :lol:
Still just to view the web even if I did have some extra cash, I would not purchase this.. because it's not worth it.

@HOL
IMO, I would not pop out an iPad and start using it at the mall.. It's not a cellphone, so you can't carry it in your pocket.. but if your going to carry a bag with it.. than sure.. but than you could carry your laptop.. either way I wouldn't pull out my laptop at a mall either.

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Green Light wrote:@HOL
IMO, I would not pop out an iPad and start using it at the mall.. It's not a cellphone, so you can't carry it in your pocket.. but if your going to carry a bag with it.. than sure.. but than you could carry your laptop.. either way I wouldn't pull out my laptop at a mall either.
Oh, geez, it'd make you out as a big mark for any thieves.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Desdenova wrote:
Green Light wrote:@HOL
Oh, geez, it'd make you out as a big mark for any thieves.
lol, well the mall is pretty safe.. it'll just look dumb, unless theres a starbucks in the mall..
But other public areas, especially urban would make you a target, actually about a month ago there was some kid who got his laptop stolen, and a set of bloods beat the junkie who robbed the kid, pretty awesome scene.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Darth Wong wrote:... the other thing she likes to use the computer for is The Sims.
I'm not familiar with The Sims games except by name, but see EA Mobile for a couple The Sims titles for iPhone. I'm guessing iPad versions will follow?
We should talk less, and say more.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 pm

The Sims app works on the iPad, but there could be another app developed for the iPad as well.

As for the Mall, it wouldn't be that odd, people carry around laptops (in laptop bags) all the time, you can see them from a mile away. Carrying the iPad would not make you any more of a target, and due to the slimmer size of the iPad, it would be easier to conceal.

I worked in retail at the huge Mall in Nashville for several years and it would have made a handy tool for people, both employees and I imagine some consumers as well. Sure it's not a phone, but so what? I did bring my laptop sometimes to do work - accounting, mostly. If they had the iPad back then, I would have purchased it in a heartbeat. It's small and light enough to carry around, can do more than a smart phone, and is more portable than a laptop, it certainly has it's usefulness. Initially, I thought the primary market for the iPad would be maintenance workers, who usually have to carry a laptop around everywhere they go, the iPad would make for a great tool to use on calls. But now I think that it's usefulness will actually be in the consumer market as well.

When planning a building project, I usually carry a pad and pencil around the Home Improvement store to jot down what I need, and try and compare prices, etc. I could see the iPad being really useful for such circumstances, I certainly wish I had previously owned something like that before. It could have come in really handy. You might not get it for that reason alone (unless you're a contractor), but it would be one of the many useful aspects of the device. I’d be much more likely to read a book or newspaper on the iPad than I would the physical book. Weird? Perhaps.

Since the release of both the iPod and the iPhone, that Apple department seems to have a knack for finding a completely unexplored market, and I have a feeling they are going to prove a lot of people wrong again by finding a previously unseen market for the iPad. After trying one myself, I think that is very likely.

Now if the price could only come down a bit... like the iPhone, it probably will. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Highway of Life wrote:The Sims app works on the iPad, but there could be another app developed for the iPad as well.
I hear though that at least some iPhone apps don't look too good on an iPad (understandably so), so maybe that would be the case with The Sims. But I dunno ...
We should talk less, and say more.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:58 pm

It depends... if you run them at native 1x, they look fine, just small... you can put them in 2x mode, but you're basically duplicating pixels, so it will look pixelated (I did test some iPhone apps on the iPad, and they do look pixelated if you 2x mode those apps). Of course, the app works just fine, but it would be much better to have an iPad dedicated app because there is a lot more screen real-estate.

Comkid

Post by Comkid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 am

Have you seen iPad apps on an iPod touch/iPhone? Everything is squashed :P

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:33 am

Highway of Life wrote: As for the Mall, it wouldn't be that odd, people carry around laptops (in laptop bags) all the time, you can see them from a mile away. Carrying the iPad would not make you any more of a target, and due to the slimmer size of the iPad, it would be easier to conceal.
Yeah but the way you had posted the first time, it seemed as if you were saying to just pull out an iPad as if it were the iPhone and just tap away..
Yeah I too use my laptop for accounting at my job.. but this seems like more of a "toy" than a tool. I wouldn't use it at work even if it were affordable.
Easier to conceal and lightweight enough to steal. I'll be running with this thing before you knew it. :P
Turn around, whoosh gone. With a laptop you'd need a good grip, and it's bigger so it's not as easy to steal.. but this thing I could imagine. *get idear* :twisted:

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:29 am

Sure do, had a cellphone stolen, but I’m far more worried about my laptop walking away, not only does it cost nearly $2000 to replace, but I wouldn't want the information on there getting into the wrong hands... so for me, the iPad would be a better travel companion. As long as it has a carry case, It wouldn't leave my side anymore than my Macbook Pro would. (I’m VERY protective of my MBP, after 4 years it doesn't have a scratch on it. :) )

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:00 am

Highway of Life wrote:Sure do, had a cellphone stolen, but I’m far more worried about my laptop walking away, not only does it cost nearly $2000 to replace, but I wouldn't want the information on there getting into the wrong hands... so for me, the iPad would be a better travel companion. As long as it has a carry case, It wouldn't leave my side anymore than my Macbook Pro would. (I’m VERY protective of my MBP, after 4 years it doesn't have a scratch on it. :) )
As i said, the iPad is so lite, it would be too easy to pick up and run off..
Even if your overly protective, all it takes is for you to turn around, and I'll be darting away.
Un-sure where you live, but in urban areas it's pretty common and easy. Ex. I live a mile away from US-1.
Pretty busy road in South Florida(probably in other states too), and well we have allot of junkies around, too make a long story short, someone offered crack for a beer, they played off as if they went to get it, came back asked for the beer punched the dude, and ran off.
Same happens with iPods, cell phones etc.. etc.. (except they don't ask for the iPod, they just grab it)
If it's portable and in public eye it's probably a good target of theft. 1.5 pounds is perfect.

Aesthetics, is what your paying for, and the brand name.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:29 am

stay out those types of areas and the chances go way down.

unless you are using it, keep it in a bag over your shoulder and the chances go way down.

this thing would be no more likely to be stolen than a laptop or any other equipment you might carry.

me thinks you are just a bit paranoid or are just a thief at heart.

:twisted: :lol:

robert

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:31 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:me thinks you are just a bit paranoid or are just a thief at heart.
:lol: My thoughts exactly, but you do have to be a bit paranoid in some of those areas, the iPad is just like any other accessory that you carry, your smart phone or cellphone is just as easy, if not easier to steal, so Green Light's argument doesn’t hold any water in that regard. But in those parts of town, Bicycles have been stolen, so obviously it doesn’t have to be small for someone to steal it. If someone wants to steal something, and you look away for a second, it could even be your car door left unlocked and you loading groceries in the back, your car could be gone.

It applies to everything.

And no, the iPad is not all about brand and aesthetics, that’s a rather daft thing to say, coming from someone who has not even tried it. :roll:
Being an Apple product, people know it’s been designed really well, and when you try it out, you can feel it. They have paid so much attention to every detail, it is such a joy to use. But you can use a pencil and paper too... and much cheaper at only $1. But that’s not the point, is it? It’s not a laptop, it can do a lot of what a laptop can, but not replace it. It can do a lot of what a smart phone can, but it’s not a phone. It’s a Padd. It’s a different gadget. Used for a different purpose.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:..me thinks you are just a bit paranoid or are just a thief at heart...
:mrgreen:

Nah you just haven't been in urban areas.. or are just lucky if you have been, timing is everything.

Of course a car and bike could be stolen, chances are when your bikes stolen your not even next to it.
But I doubt you would leave your iPad unattended? It's smaller and lighter than a car or bike.. so it's much easier to get away then say a car, because a car is a huge object that can be seen a mile away.. something small enough to go in a bag is easier to conceal and rob..

As you said your cellphone was stolen, but has your car ever been?
The chances of a cellphone getting robbed and car are totally un-even.

Like with everything apples makes it's not all 150% aesthetics, but it has a huge part to do with aesthetics.
Steve likes everything to have no buttons.. to be basic yet nice on appearances, but if you compare the price, just get a laptop.. if you had the choice which would you buy a laptop or iPad?

That's my true point, that the price is more than a laptop, and doesn't come close to a laptop.(And I'm not talking about MBP, or any fancy gaming laptop either.. I have an acer extensa 4630z which ran me $450 last year.. brand new sealed)
Even if you say Steve wasn't comparing to laptops, a laptop is a great comparison.

Return to “General Discussion”