who's got Blu Ray? is it worth it?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
noth

who's got Blu Ray? is it worth it?

Post by noth » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:56 pm

worth considering that a PS3 comes WITH a blu ray player all included

anyway .... (I haven't got a PS3 or a blu ray player)

heard a bloke on the shopping channel waffling on about blu ray yesterday

he used I AM LEGEND as an example to demonstrate BLU RAY v std DVD

he said "remember the opening scenes of I AM LEGEND"

"remember when Will Smith comes to a flooded undepass, all that water!"

now comes the comparison of BLU RAY to DVD

he says that on DVD you see a flooded underpass

but when watching BLU RAY you see 10 x more detail so THEN see all the cars and vans underneath the water that you didn't see before :o

is it that good?

god0fgod

Re: who's got Blu Ray? is it worth it?

Post by god0fgod » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:59 pm

SD (PAL) is 720×576
HD is 1280×720 to 1920×1080

The number of pixels therefore in SD video is 414720 and 921600 to 2073600 for HD.

That is 2.2 to 5 times greater detail. Not 10 times greater but higher resolutions will appear in the future.

Is blu-ray worth it? I think so. It's best to see the difference for yourself and be aware about the differences between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 resolutions. To get the full HD experience look for TVs labeled with "Full HD", or "1080p/i". It doesn't mean the TV will look good however as there are other factors.

Sheldon469

Post by Sheldon469 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Well here's my take on this...

Blu Ray does deliver some nice sharp detailed images, HOWEVER, the shopping channel like Best Buy have more elaborate setups than what most of us have at home therefore their displays and lighting delivers higher quality images that when you or I buy these products and take them home hoping to replicate such quality images.
That said, what type of TV set do you have? Is it a HD set and what type of connections are you using, is it HDMI or component? Is your TC Plasma or LCD? Is it closer to a window or in a more reserved setting?

I say all this because their setups in the studio is harder to replicate at home though I will say Blu Ray players are supposed to deliver sharper quality that not everyone will or can always distinguish the differences. Then there's the higher costs of Blu Ray disks vs. standard DVD movies.

I fully enjoy my standard DVD movies on my Plasma set and like you almost bought a PS3 to get that Blu Ray player but is leaning more towards a Xbox360 for it's greater flexibility and front-end media-PC.

Good luck.

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Sheldon469 wrote:Well here's my take on this...

Blu Ray does deliver some nice sharp detailed images, HOWEVER, the shopping channel like Best Buy have more elaborate setups than what most of us have at home therefore their displays and lighting delivers higher quality images that when you or I buy these products and take them home hoping to replicate such quality images.
That said, what type of TV set do you have? Is it a HD set and what type of connections are you using, is it HDMI or component? Is your TC Plasma or LCD? Is it closer to a window or in a more reserved setting?

I say all this because their setups in the studio is harder to replicate at home though I will say Blu Ray players are supposed to deliver sharper quality that not everyone will or can always distinguish the differences. Then there's the higher costs of Blu Ray disks vs. standard DVD movies.

I fully enjoy my standard DVD movies on my Plasma set and like you almost bought a PS3 to get that Blu Ray player but is leaning more towards a Xbox360 for it's greater flexibility and front-end media-PC.

Good luck.
One problem with that though, the XBox 360 carries a per-month cost if you ever get into online gaming, as opposed to the PS3 only requiring an internet connection.

Sheldon469

Post by Sheldon469 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Desdenova wrote:
Sheldon469 wrote:Well here's my take on this...

Good luck.
One problem with that though, the XBox 360 carries a per-month cost if you ever get into online gaming, as opposed to the PS3 only requiring an internet connection.
Yup, I know. Have no plans at the moment for online gaming, more want it as my front end and for a few games. ;)

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 pm

The PS3 is more reliable as well.

noth

Post by noth » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:17 pm

at the time PS3 launched, DVD review magazine gave it "Blu Ray player of the year" !

that is some accolade

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:47 pm

I have both a 360 and a PS3. I game on the 360 and use the PS3 for nothing but blue-ray.

I also have the 360 Hi-Def player. The blue-rays are awesome and this is on a 720p (aka 1366x768) Panasonic plasma (the 9UK).

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 am

noth wrote:at the time PS3 launched, DVD review magazine gave it "Blu Ray player of the year" !

that is some accolade
Not hard really, the PS3 was released 5 months after the first Blu-Ray films and players, and it was heavily subsidised by Sony so you got a Blu-Ray player plus more for a lot less than just a Blu-Ray player. Also it was upgradable to the newer Blu-Ray specifications which none of the earlier players were because they didn't have firmware updating abilities. This meant the PS3 was the first BD-Live player on the market and any previously bought PS3 could be upgraded, any other players would need replacing.

Personally I don't own a Blu-Ray player, I don't have the equipment to make it worth while.

On a side note, I just fired up 'I Am Legend' DVD and I can see the 'missing' cars just fine.
Chris SmithGitHub

Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 am

Sheldon469 wrote:Blu Ray does deliver some nice sharp detailed images, HOWEVER, the shopping channel like Best Buy have more elaborate setups than what most of us have at home therefore their displays and lighting delivers higher quality images that when you or I buy these products and take them home hoping to replicate such quality images.
My experience was exactly the opposite. The HD TV/Blu-ray combination looked much better (and much larger) at home than it did in the Best Buy where we bought it.

The great difference in "display quality" between my experience and Sheldon469's, however, reinforces his point. Let the buyer beware. :)

Sheldon469

Post by Sheldon469 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 am

Kim_Possible wrote:
Sheldon469 wrote:
The great difference in "display quality" between my experience and Sheldon469's, however, reinforces his point. Let the buyer beware. :)
Exactly! Well said.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:45 pm

A lot also depends on the quality of the Blu-Ray mastering. Some Blu-Rays look scarcely better than the DVD because they were done so poorly. Others (like the Troy Director's Cut Blu-Ray) look absolutely incredible and put the DVD to shame.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I may get slapped for this but

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 253208-L0F

Toshiba 46" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV 46RV525R

For $699 which is $500 off MSRP (probably because they want to get rid of the leftover 60Hz stuffs).

That's pretty darn tempting...I wonder what I will do with the 32" Aquos I have?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm

What I get a kick out of is those commercials at the front of DVD movies for Blue Ray, where they show these ultra-sharp pictures of other movies... and you think to yourself, "Yeah, that would be cool to see all these sharp pictures!". Then you remember that you are seeing these sharp pictures on DVD.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:36 am

Brf wrote:What I get a kick out of is those commercials at the front of DVD movies for Blue Ray, where they show these ultra-sharp pictures of other movies... and you think to yourself, "Yeah, that would be cool to see all these sharp pictures!". Then you remember that you are seeing these sharp pictures on DVD.
It's also annoying when you see TV adverts where they show you the horrible 60Hz refresh video and the beautiful 240Hz refresh video side by side, to tout the importance of 240Hz refresh. Funny how an actual Blu-Ray playing on an actual 60Hz refresh set doesn't look like the blurry jerky mess they always make it out to be in those comparisons.

Nevertheless, I hope you don't get the impression that Blu-Ray's resolution advantage over standard DVD is exaggerated. Try popping in the Troy Director's Cut Blu-Ray and compare it to the Troy Director's Cut DVD. It's a huge difference, unless you have a really small TV.

Return to “General Discussion”