who's got Blu Ray? is it worth it?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Sheldon469

Re: who's got Blu Ray? is it worth it?

Post by Sheldon469 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:45 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:I may get slapped for this but

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 253208-L0F

Toshiba 46" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV 46RV525R

For $699 which is $500 off MSRP (probably because they want to get rid of the leftover 60Hz stuffs).

That's pretty darn tempting...I wonder what I will do with the 32" Aquos I have?
Yes, it's pretty tempting, however I think technology is moving too fast to have a 'new' 60Hz panel now.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Sheldon469 wrote:Yes, it's pretty tempting, however I think technology is moving too fast to have a 'new' 60Hz panel now.
That's what they said about ED plasma TV's (woot for 480p) back in the day....some 10 odd years ago.

BTW, it's a little known fact that US consumers replace/upgrade, on average, their TV every 10 years or so.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Blu-Ray displays 24fps video at 1920x1080p, and there is no successor slated for the near or mid-term future. I don't understand why anyone would believe that a 1920x1080p 60Hz display is going to become obsolete any time soon.

Refresh rates are vastly overrated in importance anyway. It's pure marketing BS to convince people that they need to spend twice as much money on screens that refresh 240 times per second, to display video that refreshes only 24 times per second.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 pm

The eyes can barely notice any difference after about 30fps.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 am

Keep in mind the size of the display and viewing distance plays a big factor. If you're sitting in your kitchen watching a DVD on 15 inch set 10 feet away the difference between SD and HD is negligible.

Another factor in DVD playback is the ability of the DVD player to upscale, performance varies widely. A upscaled DVD will never look like HD no matter what hype you hear. You cannot create detail that does not exist however what a good upscaler will do is keep edges of contrasting color nice and crisp which provides the illusion of a better picture than standard DVD. ;)
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 am

thecoalman wrote:Keep in mind the size of the display and viewing distance plays a big factor.
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... _chart.pdf

Being a bit into the AV scene, thought that may be applicable.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:22 am

To summarize the rest of this post: yes, it's definitely worth it. Having said that, there are a few things to note and a number of them have already been mentioned (hope you don't mind if I repeat the ones that I agree with).

For one thing, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and if you don't have an eye for detail, the difference may be lost to you. When my grandparents' 20 years old 23" tube died 2 years ago, I bought them a 42" Sony Bravia XBR6. At first, they didn't notice the difference in picture and said that it was too big. I was worried for a while. A few weeks later, they had a fight over who got to watch their show on the LCD and who had to go to the bedroom and watch it on the old set there. Bottom line is, they now have 2 LCD HDTVs with a BD player for each.

On that note, without an HDTV, Blu-ray is entirely pointless and may actually look worse than DVD. Also note that there is more to Blu-ray than just a larger resolution.

I cashed in some credit card reward points a few years ago and got a PS3. I really just wanted a Blu-ray player, but figured that the additional features of the PS3 would be worth the extra $100. I unfortunately don't have time to play games, however the media center functions are extremely useful and worth the money (if you're going to use them, of course).

Hope that helps.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 pm

On a related note, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is finally coming to Blu-Ray in about one week. Now we need the Indiana Jones trilogy and the Star Wars trilogy.

Lastof

Post by Lastof » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Darth Wong wrote:On a related note, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is finally coming to Blu-Ray in about one week.
Yes, but if we want the extended versions we still have to wait. Grrr.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

Badkat

Post by Badkat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:51 pm

PS3 - $300, Includes Blu-Ray, and yes..............it's well wort it. Nice sharp picture, clear images, and after watching a few movies in Blu-Ray, it will be very hard to watch your old standard definition DVD's. ;)

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:55 pm

I've seen a few movies in IMAX 3D and while some of the movies were genuinely augmented by the effects (Hubble 3D, Avatar, etc.), some studios just use it for "shock value" like throwing items at the audience (which has been done in theme parks for a decade and is now a bit of a cliche). So as far as the movie theater is concerned, I have no problem with it as long as they're not using it to frighten small children.

The problem is that you have to wear the glasses. This is especially annoying for those of us who already wear glasses (and have to wear those on top of the prescription ones). While i do keep the TV on at home, it is usually on in the background while I'm doing something else. In fact, it's on right now.

So I don't see this taking off until there is a good method of producing the effects without the need for the glasses. Only then will it make sense for things like the news and shows. At the moment, they are primarily aiming it toward full length films, and especially animated films.

Of course, there's apparently a 3D channel in the works here and many TVs are "3D ready", so perhaps I'm misreading the market. I wouldn't want to wear the glasses at home though.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't understand why they will be selling TVs with required glasses. Surely, they screwed up the market research stage?

Who wants to wear glasses to watch TV?

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 pm

god0fgod wrote:Who wants to wear glasses to watch TV?
Not me and I'm short sighted.
Chris SmithGitHub

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:21 pm

ToonArmy wrote:
god0fgod wrote:Who wants to wear glasses to watch TV?
Not me and I'm short sighted.
You must not be that short-sighted if you won't wear your glasses while watching TV.

PS. One more benefit of Blu-Ray: they are always wide-screen, unlike those old non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs. The anamorphic DVDs don't look too bad on a big screen, but the non-anamorphic letterboxed ones look like crap.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Darth Wong wrote:You must not be that short-sighted if you won't wear your glasses while watching TV.
I believe ToonArmy was talking about 3D television, not normal television.

Personally I don't like 3D TV or movies because they give me a headache and sore eyes. But maybe that's just me. :|

Return to “General Discussion”