Internet Explorer 9

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Internet Explorer 9

Post by tbackoff » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm itching to try it, but I'd rather do it in a VM, so I just have to find time. Might have a go at it tomorrow. The screenshots I'm seeing look OK. I'm not a fan of the left arrow being bitter than the right one, but meh...
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Only there is a mirror problem i can see with IE9 that the do again "IE" only codes like the days of IE 5 and 6 its about the "Jump List" code, it seems that the don't understand default standards; http://camendesign.com/blog/stop_this_madness , also the responds of W3C's "Ian Hickson" about it ; http://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/comm ... ss/c0zp8ei
And i agree i really like to see more standards instead of that Micosoft is adding again browser only code without notify anyone.
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:42 pm

The unfortunate part about that is that I don't see the W3C adding OS-specific code of that extent to any spec anytime soon.

Also, if you want to be technical, using a solution that camendesign chose has 2 flaws: 1) It still requires a "browser specific" meta tag and 2) putting elements in the <body> section of the code which intentionally will only be used ultimately as meta data goes completely against the spec's purpose of the body/menu code.

It's quite difficult to add such an amazing feature to Windows 7, put said functionality in Internet Explorer, and give website developers the ability to change the contents to their liking ... and do it all to spec. Can you imagine the outcry if IE had done it to standards, but chose what was going to be in this jumplist by some algorithm that engineers up in Redmon decided was right for everyone?

The only way this could have been done and be 100% standards complient (which, technically, it still is according to the HTML5/XHTML 1.0 specs), would be to get the W3C to agree on adding this to a spec. And as I said before, the only way the W3C would ultimately have added this to the spec would be if most major OS's supported such a feature or a similar feature.

Microsoft isn't going to say, "Hey Apple, we have this really cool feature in Windows 7. We'd appreciate it if you'd add it to OS X as well." Now that this is in IE, let's see how long it takes for Firefox/Opera/Safari/Chrome to implement the same functionality into their browsers on Windows. ;)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Brandon05
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Post by Brandon05 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:57 pm

t_backoff wrote:I'm itching to try it, but I'd rather do it in a VM, so I just have to find time. Might have a go at it tomorrow. The screenshots I'm seeing look OK. I'm not a fan of the left arrow being bitter than the right one, but meh...
I am sure you can change the images in the code. Never tried to manipulate the software before, but I am sure its possible. ;)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:14 am

Brandon05 wrote:Very nice. Didn't know about that. When I hit F12 and tried to change the CSS of the home page for the beta it stopped responding lol and shut down.
Good thing you didn't try to debug javascript with it. :lol: For the record that functionallity was already available in IE8.

As for IE9's interface I kind of like it...but the big left arrow is positioned wrong and I'd much rather see the title of the page in the titlebar instead of just the short tab. Another thing that's quite annoying is that the "loading" indicator(s) stop after some time regardless of if the page has finished loading, leaving you guessing about if the page is done loading. :? The only thing that actually tells you the page is still loading is if you hover your mouse over the page and it changes to the "waiting" pointer.

I also don't like that I couldn't keep IE8 alongside IE9. I really hate this Microsoft ideal of "all or nothing". :roll:

Overall I think it's very promissing and yet another step in the right direction but there's quite a few bugs (a few I've run into with regards to javascript/AJAX among others) that need ironing out... (and yes I am aware that it's still in Beta)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Alterno

Post by Alterno » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:21 am

I never thought it would come the day that I'd say something like this, but IE9 is the best beta browser between Chrome 7 , Firefox 4 and Opera,, I'm impressed with the way is working, if a page crash is crash like google chrome that just close the crashed tab, but IE actually consumes less memmory than firefox and and Chrome.

I don't know how it is working on a Virtual machine, but it worths installing on Windows 7, in my 64 bits as it workings lighting fast. A friend at work was joking saying that they hired the google chrome's team for IE9. I'm impressed with the small details... details like being able to remove part of the history fromt he url address, being able to switch from search engine with a simple click in the url bar and also being able to turn on or off suggestions dirrectly from the url bar aswell.

Another feature that I'm liking and wish google already had for chrome and coded to work on IE9, is the abilty to get images (thubmnails) suggestions/results in the url bar from Bing!.

The bad things.
Tab grouping is enable by default, I hate those colors in the tabs, but you can disable @ internet options.
The second thing that I dislike is actually the internet options, it stays the same from the previous version with a few new addtions, I believe micrisoft should consider changing it, make it look like their download manager, which by the way looks way better than Firefox's.
The last thing is the lack of cuztomization compared to IE8, even if the browser looks beutiful, I was hoping to be able to move tabs to wherever I liked.

Conlcusion
Is a very solid start from Microsoft, is the best browser in terms of loading speed. Pin Web Apps, the sites that are already ready for it, are just cool to have in the taskbar.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 am

Alterno wrote:I was hoping to be able to move tabs to wherever I liked.
But you can. If you drag the tab you can either position it differently in the same window or pull it out of the window into its own new window. You can even drag it back into the tab group. I'm pretty impressed with what they've done with the tabs actually.

To add to my previous post, one other thing that I thought was a bit annoying: the home button will open everything up that you have in your list of home pages. IE8 had an arrow next to the home button that would allow you to select which one you wanted to open. I miss that.

Brandon05
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Post by Brandon05 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:53 am

DavidIQ wrote:
Brandon05 wrote:Very nice. Didn't know about that. When I hit F12 and tried to change the CSS of the home page for the beta it stopped responding lol and shut down.
Good thing you didn't try to debug javascript with it. :lol: For the record that functionallity was already available in IE8.

As for IE9's interface I kind of like it...but the big left arrow is positioned wrong and I'd much rather see the title of the page in the titlebar instead of just the short tab. Another thing that's quite annoying is that the "loading" indicator(s) stop after some time regardless of if the page has finished loading, leaving you guessing about if the page is done loading. :? The only thing that actually tells you the page is still loading is if you hover your mouse over the page and it changes to the "waiting" pointer.

I also don't like that I couldn't keep IE8 alongside IE9. I really hate this Microsoft ideal of "all or nothing". :roll:

Overall I think it's very promissing and yet another step in the right direction but there's quite a few bugs (a few I've run into with regards to javascript/AJAX among others) that need ironing out... (and yes I am aware that it's still in Beta)
Oh yeah, I can imagine there would be problems in the beta stage for IE9 to handle the latest updates to scripting languages. Regarding the feature already being available in IE8...I wouldn't know. I only use IE8 for testing my styles for phpBB as well as my other web based projects. Other than that, it is Firefox all the way.

Alterno

Post by Alterno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:10 pm

DavidIQ wrote:But you can. If you drag the tab you can either position it differently in the same window or pull it out of the window into its own new window. You can even drag it back into the tab group. I'm pretty impressed with what they've done with the tabs actually.

To add to my previous post, one other thing that I thought was a bit annoying: the home button will open everything up that you have in your list of home pages. IE8 had an arrow next to the home button that would allow you to select which one you wanted to open. I miss that.
You are talking about tab tearing, true is great... I'm talking of tab position (Top or below url bar).

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:29 am

Fire fox 4 will better :D

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:08 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
But you can. If you drag the tab you can either position it differently in the same window or pull it out of the window into its own new window. You can even drag it back into the tab group. I'm pretty impressed with what they've done with the tabs actually.

Google Chrome has done this for how long now?

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 pm

god0fgod wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:

Google Chrome has done this for how long now?
And unless I'm missing something FF has done this for ages.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 am

Ok so it's NOT so impressive. Just nice to see that they've caught up to the rest of the world :roll: (to fall behind some again after the next new releases of those two browsers...)

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 am

Honestly, I'm looking on the bright side with the release of IE9. It'll mean a further decline in IE6 usage. And anything that takes away from IE6's popularity is good in my books. Now, I can't wait for 2014. That'll be a good year indeed when support for IE6 is dropped. Hopefully a majority of businesses upgrade at that point.

.Victor

Post by .Victor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 am

Internet Explorer 9 is an awesome browser. It's quick, it's safe and it's great for HTML5 and CSS3. Also, Twitter as a pinned site is fantastic! It feels like a mailbox :)

Return to “General Discussion”