what does Easter mean?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
noth

what does Easter mean?

Post by noth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 am

This is the time of year that you are supposed to get down to the church and listen to the vicar with "Onward Christian soldiers" and such like

my days of doing that are long gone and I can't even think of one friend who goes, sometimes I wonder what church is really all about

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: what does Easter mean?

Post by Christian 2.0 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:38 pm

what does Easter mean?
Cynical cheap marketing ploy.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Even Athiests Still Take Easter-holidays, Right? :P

Joking aside, it has seemingly turned into a giant "Let's sell throusands of chocolate eggs and toy bunnies to kids and make money", rather than about the actual biblical event. Same goes for Christmas I suppose :|

*edit* I am an athiest myself
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Why do Christians have a problem with the commercialization of Easter and Christmas? The commercialization of Easter and Christmas is the only reason anyone but hardcore churchgoers even pays attention to these holidays at all. If you took away all of the secular festivities and commercialization, do you really think anyone would care? It would just be another long weekend.

Besides, both Easter and Christmas are just co-opted seasonal holidays anyway: the winter solstice and the vernal equinox. It always amazes me that Christians can talk about the "original meaning" of Christmas and Easter with a straight face, when it's ridiculously obvious that they're both co-opted seasonal holidays.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm

noth wrote:This is the time of year that you are supposed to get down to the church and listen to the vicar with "Onward Christian soldiers" and such like.
If you're Christian, that is. The rest of us just give chocolate eggs to the kids and enjoy a day off work.
my days of doing that are long gone and I can't even think of one friend who goes, sometimes I wonder what church is really all about
Church is about the donation plate.

Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:23 pm

TBH I go with cherokee red's explanation.. It's just a few days off work.. I am also for celebrating all the other special days of other religions.
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Rotsblok wrote:TBH I go with cherokee red's explanation.. It's just a few days off work.. I am also for celebrating all the other special days of other religions.
You'd never go to work...
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Darth Wong wrote:Why do Christians have a problem with the commercialization of Easter and Christmas?
I'm a Christian and I don't have a problem with it. Let people do what they wish. To me, it doesn't matter what other people make Easter or Christmas into, it only matters what I believe it to be. I am not going to force my beliefs on anyone; however, I also ask that others respect my beliefs and let me have them, whether you think them illogical or not. Therefore, I'm not going to discuss the "true meaning" of Easter or any religious holiday because I respect your beliefs and do not wish to challenge them. :)
Darth Wong wrote:Church is about the donation plate.
Even being a Christian myself, it is hard to refute that statement. Sadly, it's all about the money in today's society.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Darth Wong wrote:Why do Christians have a problem with the commercialization of Easter and Christmas? The commercialization of Easter and Christmas is the only reason anyone but hardcore churchgoers even pays attention to these holidays at all. If you took away all of the secular festivities and commercialization, do you really think anyone would care? It would just be another long weekend.

Besides, both Easter and Christmas are just co-opted seasonal holidays anyway: the winter solstice and the vernal equinox. It always amazes me that Christians can talk about the "original meaning" of Christmas and Easter with a straight face, when it's ridiculously obvious that they're both co-opted seasonal holidays.
I cannot speak for everyone because if you include the Roman Catholic Church the world population of Christians is actually quite large; however, I will speak for myself and say that I do not personally have a problem with it. I know why I celebrate Christmas and Easter, that is all that matters to me.

BTW, if Christmas is not a Christian holiday, why do you call it Christmas?

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 pm

It is a Christian holiday but the day was stolen from the special Ancient Roman day for Sol Invictus, also the day for the winter solstice.

nuckfan15

Post by nuckfan15 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Tom wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Why do Christians have a problem with the commercialization of Easter and Christmas?
I'm a Christian and I don't have a problem with it. Let people do what they wish. To me, it doesn't matter what other people make Easter or Christmas into, it only matters what I believe it to be. I am not going to force my beliefs on anyone; however, I also ask that others respect my beliefs and let me have them, whether you think them illogical or not. Therefore, I'm not going to discuss the "true meaning" of Easter or any religious holiday because I respect your beliefs and do not wish to challenge them. :)
Darth Wong wrote:Church is about the donation plate.
Even being a Christian myself, it is hard to refute that statement. Sadly, it's all about the money in today's society.
@ Tom

Do you even know the message Jesus preached? Because last time I checked it was never about respecting beliefs. It was about exposing the truth of someones heart. If Jesus went around with the message, "I respect your beliefs", Do you honestly believe they would have crucified him? What is it? You seem to be a bit confused as to what the Christian message is?

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 pm

nuckfan15 wrote:Do you even know the message Jesus preached? Because last time I checked it was never about respecting beliefs. It was about exposing the truth of someones heart. If Jesus went around with the message, "I respect your beliefs", Do you honestly believe they would have crucified him? What is it? You seem to be a bit confused as to what the Christian message is?
Yes, I do know what he preached. Does that mean that I have to go around like the Protestants shoving my beliefs down people's throats? No, of course not. I'm Catholic, by the way, not Protestant. Jesus never forced anything on anyone; instead he allowed people to choose God of their own free will, not because they were forced to do so. If people decide not to choose God, I'm not going to hound them about it. No one likes a person who forces their beliefs on other people constantly, especially when it comes to religion. I just believe what I know to be the truth, and I'll let other people choose what they wish to believe. It's not my job to go around policing people and making sure they agree with everything I believe. That's part of the reason why many non-Christians look at the Christian community in the way in which they do.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

nuckfan15

Post by nuckfan15 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Tom wrote:
nuckfan15 wrote:Do you even know the message Jesus preached? Because last time I checked it was never about respecting beliefs. It was about exposing the truth of someones heart. If Jesus went around with the message, "I respect your beliefs", Do you honestly believe they would have crucified him? What is it? You seem to be a bit confused as to what the Christian message is?
Yes, I do know what he preached. Does that mean that I have to go around like the Protestants shoving my beliefs down people's throats? No, of course not. I'm Catholic, by the way, not Protestant. Jesus never forced anything on anyone; instead he allowed people to choose God of their own free will, not because they were forced to do so. If people decide not to choose God, I'm not going to hound them about it. No one likes a person who forces their beliefs on other people constantly, especially when it comes to religion. I just believe what I know to be the truth, and I'll let other people choose what they wish to believe. It's not my job to go around policing people and making sure they agree with everything I believe. That's part of the reason why many non-Christians look at the Christian community in the way in which they do.
The fact of the matter is, you never came to believe what you believe because someone didn't tell you you were on the wrong path. I know I didn't. Jesus always told someone what they needed to hear, not what they wanted to hear. The true gospel message tells you to take your pride and own self worth and throw it out the window. Lets be honest here, is that a message anyone really wants to here?

Heck no! Nobody in there right mind wants to lay down there life for somebody they do not know. But that is what Jesus demanded. I am not saying shove a message down someones throat. Just understand the Gospel as we know it, the message of Easter, is not something to be taken lightly.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:28 pm

Tom wrote:
That's nice to hear. I have had far too much experience with pushy Pentecostals who try to force me to live my life according to their beliefs. Worse yet, they seem to think I'm shoving my values down their throats if I want to be free of legal pressure to do so.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 pm

nuckfan15 wrote:BTW, if Christmas is not a Christian holiday, why do you call it Christmas?
Because the purpose of language is communication, and we call the holiday "Christmas" in western society. I'm not going to bother getting into a length discussion of the historical origins of the winter solstice holiday every time I mention the holiday to people.

Besides, why shouldn't I call it that? Do you think I should be afraid of the words "Christ" or "God" or something? I know Christianity teaches you that words and names have special power, but they have no such special power to me. They're just words, and if those words allow me to more quickly and easily identify the holiday I'm talking about, I'll use them.

PS. Just in case you're wondering (and I know this is one of the most common questions asked of atheists by Christians), yes I do still use the phrase "Oh God" at certain moments. I use it for the same reason I use the word "Christmas"; I speak English, and that's a widely used English phrase which conveys great shock or surprise (or pleasure). It doesn't mean I actually believe in the religion, and the word has no power over me so I'm not afraid of it.

Return to “General Discussion”